Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] The Girlfriend Build GA-B85-HD3 i3-4330 8GB RAM GeForce 8400GS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used the Gigabyte Brix Pro 2 i5 4570r as the ideal girlfriend build, worked nicely and she likes the look of the machine :clap::mrgreen: :headbang:

Dear Jarotte,

I am also thinking about using the same video card that you have, the 6870. If I set up my system using integrated intel 4600 graphics, how would I then later install the video card? Would I have to boot into the system and put in the Graphics enabler message then run Multibeast again? Do you know if you can get two displays working off the 6870?

THanks,

Misscomp

I just put the card inside the slot, turned it on and everything's a-ok. No need for GraphicsEnabler. The card was recognized as HD 6870 in 10.8, now it's just HD 6xxx but still works fine.

Dunno about the dual monitor thing, as I'm still doing that single display thing.

I'm using a 6850 in my Sandy Bridge system. To get dual monitors, I had to use the DVI-D and DisplayPort (to DVI-D smart adapter) connections. According to my 6850 users manual, the two DVI connections can not be used together - dumb! - at least on the 6850.

Thanks again. I assumed you turned off the Integrated graphics in the BIOS right after you put in the graphics card?

Misscomp

Thanks for the prompt reply. Would all of the 6870 cards work? There are many makes including Sapphire, XFX, Visiontek, etc.

Misscomp

Dear CMMdavy,

I was wondering if you had to put in the -v graphicsenabler command on the last try which worked? I noticed that you are using integrated graphics. I assumed that for the B85 chipset you would not have to use this command on installation of Mavericks.

Thanks,

Misscomp

I'm running a Gigabyte card.

as for the IGFX in the BIOS, I turned it off after putting in the card. But when I was installing 10.8 I had to do it using Intel's integrated graphics, and I remember I didn't mess with GE back then, everything rolled along without a hitch.

I also installed Mavericks on this particular (Haswell) build on IGFX without any need to mess with GE, but that might be due to previous changes in default GE setting in Unibeast/Multibeast.

I wonder if 8400gs is any faster than the hd4600. It seems like at most it would only be slightly faster and use a ton more power than the igpu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back