Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
THANK YOU~!

I started with nothing on Sunday, and with all the great info and tools from the Tonymacx86 site, I now have a monster Mac Pro (Asus P9X79 i7 3930k)

Working on little bits and pieces, but it seems to be stable and happy. NEVER thought I could do it - especially when the going got a little rough, but every time I had a question, there was an answer here somewhere. THANK YOU!

A few follow ups:

Wake from Sleep? I know, there is a lot written about it, but I am a total noob, and was hoping someone had a magic bullet for this mobo.

Dual booting? How do I set up so that I get a choice of which OS to use at reboot?

And now the biggie - Parallels? I know I can install a fresh copy of Windows, BUT what I'd like to do is use the same instance of Windows either in it's native form OR in Parallels - that way the desktop, etc, etc stay consistent. Make sense? Possible?

Thanks again!

Re: Success! Thanks Everybody! Follow up: Parallels??

For dual booting use another hard disk. Extra expense, but you will not regret it.
You can either use the OSX disk as the first drive to boot and hit any key while it's counting down and choose the Windows disk, or install the menu system from Multibeast.
There are ways to use the same drive to dual boot, but I would strongly advise you against it.

Thanks so much for the reply!

I already have Windows 7 successfully installed to a second drive (Which seems to have WAY more on it than I expected - gotta look into that.)

My challenge now is this:

With Windows on a separate drive - is there a way to use Parallels utilize that instance of Windows so that all installed apps, etc are the same OR do I need to re-install Windows into Parallels as well?

And if I can use that current install of Windows, please point me to a tutorial. I'm looking, but all I've found so far are Bootcamp specific, and don't seem to apply to my situation.

Sorry for being such a screamin' noob, but I really have been doing a lot of reading and futzing - STILL NO JOY IN PARALLELS.

Here are a few things that I think might be worth mentioning - one us is that I seem to have TWO partitions on my windows drive. Somehow ended up with something called "system reserve" and "untitled." Untitled looks to have all the files of the Windows OS, but when I hit .del to go into the boot menu (Is that Chimera?) I see the Tonymac logo, my Lion OS, "system reserve" and Untitled. Selecting Untitled gives me the a BootMGR missing error, but "system reserve" boots Windows. I can live with this, as long as it does not have any impact on getting parallels to work. (Is there a way to edit what shows in this menu? It gets pretty crowded with all my drives when they are connected.)

So... Firing up Parallels, need to create a virtual machine, where I am given the option to Buy windows, Install from another Windows from DVD or image file or Migrate. What I want to do is use my existing version of Windows on my 60gig drive, right? But... How?

I apologize if there is a thread on this somewhere that I missed. I looked!

SO excited to have gotten this far - Thank you again!

rongrandia said:
Sorry for being such a screamin' noob, but I really have been doing a lot of reading and futzing - STILL NO JOY IN PARALLELS.

Here are a few things that I think might be worth mentioning - one us is that I seem to have TWO partitions on my windows drive. Somehow ended up with something called "system reserve" and "untitled." Untitled looks to have all the files of the Windows OS, but when I hit .del to go into the boot menu (Is that Chimera?) I see the Tonymac logo, my Lion OS, "system reserve" and Untitled. Selecting Untitled gives me the a BootMGR missing error, but "system reserve" boots Windows. I can live with this, as long as it does not have any impact on getting parallels to work. (Is there a way to edit what shows in this menu? It gets pretty crowded with all my drives when they are connected.)

So... Firing up Parallels, need to create a virtual machine, where I am given the option to Buy windows, Install from another Windows from DVD or image file or Migrate. What I want to do is use my existing version of Windows on my 60gig drive, right? But... How?

I apologize if there is a thread on this somewhere that I missed. I looked!

SO excited to have gotten this far - Thank you again!

If you don't have the option "Use bootcamp" in the Parallels Wizard, then you should choose "Install Windows or another OS from DVD or image file" and then change "Install from:" to Bootcamp Partition...

Thanks for the speedy reply!

Sorry to be such a goof, but THEN what?

Every thing I've tried so far leads me to the same point - "preparing to configure your virtual machine" wait 2 -5 minutes, then get

"You need to log into windows to complete configuring your machine." message on top of what looks like a Command window that says "Trying to boot from SATA drive 1...
Missing Operating System.

I can manually restart the machine and point to the windows drive, but I don't see what that has to do with anything.

Thoughts?

I really don't want to bug this community every time I hit a wall - Is there a Hackintosh/Parallels troubleshooting guide out there somewhere? I am willing to do the research, but I have not been able to find anything that I think pertains to my specific situation. Thanks!

Ron Grandia

Well your problem does not have to do entirely with hackintosh. Try parallels forums or support, if you don't want to install your windows correctly.

I think I *DO* want to install windows properly - don't I?

And as far as I can tell, the problem does lie in the fact that Parallels is designed to install very simply in a Bootcamp environment, but there are a few missing/misplaced pieces in a Hackintosh environment, or Parallels would have found them for me. (?) I don't know - but I think that is somewhat of the problem I was up against.

In any case - with that in mind, I did some more casting about blindly, and as we speak, I just fired up my Windows 7 Virtual Machine. Huzzah.

Here's how I unstuck myself: Right clicking (or option clicking) the Virtual Machine I was unable to set up correctly, there is a place to select "boot order" and also a Hard disk called "Hard Disck 1" Even though I have other disks and partitions, that's all I got. Then I noticed "Hard Disk 1" could be edited. Changing it to the proper SATA address did the trick.

Tadaaa!

Now let's see what other trouble I can get into.

Hi, so were you able to boot your existing Win7 installation from within Parallels?

That sounds awesome. Please let me know how you managed this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back