Graphics
2x Radeon R9-290X
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Thought I would give back to the collective pool of knowledge and share this with everyone.

I was able to get Yosemite installed on my X9DAi system using UniBeast and MultiBeast. It took some trial and error to get the right MultiBeast settings worked out, but so far, everything has worked very well (no Audio).

System Specs:
----------------
* MB: SuperMicro X9DAi 2-socket motherboard (BIOS vers: "R 3.0a")
* CPU: E5-2630v2 CPU (one installed today, the second will get installed next week)
* RAM: 64G (4x16G) DDR3-1600 RAM
* Power Supply: 650W PS
* Video: ATI Radeon HD3870 512M (Yosemite reports it as an HD 3650)
* Unibeast: v5.0.1
* MultiBeast: MultiBeast - Yosemite 7.0.1

The installation went very well as I followed the great instructions here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/445-unibeast-install-os-x-yosemite-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html. I had to add the boot options "npci=0x2000 GraphicsEnabler=Yes" to get the install working properly. The only issue I had was getting the video driver sorted out after installation (during install I was getting 1900x1200 on both displays, but after install I was getting 1024x768).

After installing Yosemite, I ran MultiBeast and used the following settings:
---------------------------
Quick Start > EasyBeast
Drivers > Disk > Intel Generic AHCI SATA
Drivers > Misc > ElliottForceLegacyRTC
Drivers > Misc > EvOreboot
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC v6.11.1328
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC v6.11.1328 Plugins
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC v6.11.1328 HWMonitor Application
Drivers > Misc > NullCPUPowerManagement
Drivers > Network > Intel > AppleIGB v5.2.9.4
Bootloaders > Chimera v4.0.0
Customize > Boot Options > Basic Boot Options
Customize > Boot Options > Generate CPU States
Customize > Boot Options > GraphicsEnabler=Yes
Customize > Boot Options > IGPEnabler=No
Customize > Boot Options > Kext Dev Mode
Customize > Boot Options > Use KernelCache
Customize > System Definitions > Mac Pro > Mac Pro 6,1
Customize > Themes > tonymacx86 remixed

Finally, I had to edit the /Extras/org.chameleon.Boot.plist file and add "npci=0x2000" to the Kernel Flags line. Once the system rebooted, I was greeted by a dual-screen HD display!

The system has been up for a few hours, and appears to be working great. I ran the CPUs at 100% while also running memtest in a terminal window for +10mins. No issues whatsoever. I also ran some network and SSD speed tests - everything passed with flying colors!

Video problem
---------------
As outlined in this post (http://www.tonymacx86.com/desktop-c...-hd-3870-white-screen-after-installation.html) I was able to get 1900x1200 resolution during Yosemite installation but only got 1024x768 after installation. The fix was to move the AMDRadeonX3000 kernel drivers from the /System/Library/Extensions folder to a backup folder and reboot.

Thanks to everyone who is involved with the UniBeast and MultiBeast projects. Without their work, I could have never built my new system!

Hi,

I have the same Board (3.0a Bios) except a nvidia gtx770 and Dual E5-2670 (8 Cores, 16 Threads each) and 32GB Ram.

I had hyperthreading enabled and was not able to boot either from unibeast stick or from installation of yosemite.

Funny though, my mavericks setup worked well with npci=0x200 PCIRootUID=1 GraphicsEnabler=No. I had 32 cores enabled in Mavericks.

For yosemite, I had to boot unibeast with -v -x -f cpus=1 npci=0x2000 PCIRootUID=1 GraphicsEnabler=No to install.

After install, I was not able to boot without kernel panic "cpu0 mp_cpus_call_wait()"

My SMBIOS was Mac Pro 6.1, the smbios of the old mavericks installation was Mac Pro 5.1

After disabling hyperthreading, everything worked well. Yosemite shows 16 Cores.
As I tried to add SMcputype key in SMBios.plist to 2561 as read in http://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2013/12/20/macpro61-smbios-data, and then rebooted, went to bios and enabled hyperthreading, reboot worked but the number of cores stayed with 16, so cputype has some effect, I guess.

What could be the cputype of E5-2670 Sandy Bridge CPU to have the correct cpu? Or is maybe yosemite not capable of hyperthreading or using more than 16 cores?

Best regards,

Michael

Hi mike,

have you found anything new on this issue?
I ran into the same problem here. What we found out so far, is that disabling 4 cores or disabling hyperthreading on a 16-core machine is the only way to boot yosemite (10.10.1)
We thought that, since the current Mac Pro is a single-cpu machine using 12 cores/24 threads, yosemite might cap the number of threads at 24 threads.
But this is just an idea, I haven't found any info on this so far.

Board: Supermicro X9DAI
CPU: 2 x Xeon 2687w

Thought I would give back to the collective pool of knowledge and share this with everyone.

I was able to get Yosemite installed on my X9DAi system using UniBeast and MultiBeast. It took some trial and error to get the right MultiBeast settings worked out, but so far, everything has worked very well (no Audio).

System Specs:
----------------
* MB: SuperMicro X9DAi 2-socket motherboard (BIOS vers: "R 3.0a")
* CPU: E5-2630v2 CPU (one installed today, the second will get installed next week)
* RAM: 64G (4x16G) DDR3-1600 RAM
* Power Supply: 650W PS
* Video: ATI Radeon HD3870 512M (Yosemite reports it as an HD 3650)
* Unibeast: v5.0.1
* MultiBeast: MultiBeast - Yosemite 7.0.1

The installation went very well as I followed the great instructions here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/445-unibeast-install-os-x-yosemite-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html. I had to add the boot options "npci=0x2000 GraphicsEnabler=Yes" to get the install working properly. The only issue I had was getting the video driver sorted out after installation (during install I was getting 1900x1200 on both displays, but after install I was getting 1024x768).
Hi, Could you please tell in which Slot you had your VGA Top or Bottom?

thx

Had it in the bottom slot (slot-1) and the middle (slot-3) PCIe slots. Had better luck with the middle slot.

Hi,

had no success so far, went back to my mavericks backup.

But there was a comparable problem under mavericks when we had to revert two kexts to the 10.9.1 versions, some speculated about PCI timing was changed with the apple kexts.

http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,8130.105.html

Any news?

Mike

mike could you go through how you installed mavericks.

I just can not get it to work with the X9DAi. I can only boot in safe mode with -x

thanks!

Why not Yosemite? I could send you my clover config of the usb stick and the setup stuff...

because yosemite does not support dual CPUs...
I figured its safer to go with mavericks

At this moment I´am running two e5-2670 with 16 cores. Hyperthreading is not working, but two packages are working OOTB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back