Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Supermicro X8DAL-I & Dual Xeons X5675

Status
Not open for further replies.
Attached is the config.plist I am using in El Capitan on this system to type this. You will see in my screen shot that I do not have any of the problems you described with displayed ram usage. All 24 GB are detected on mine.

screen-shot-2016-05-23-at-11-51-49-am-png.196570

Attachments

• config.plist
    4.6 KB · Views: 386
  • Screen Shot 2016-05-23 at 11.51.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-23 at 11.51.49 AM.png
    533.4 KB · Views: 1,550
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

After a couple weeks of frustration and lack of progress I picked up an X8DAL-I.
Installation was smooth enough, although I did have to update the BIOS to get rid of the "Checking NVRAM" at system startup.
One big issue is that only 12 out of my 24 gigs of ECC reg. ram is detected. Also, in activity monitor, my memory usage is constantly maxed out, displaying "Memory used : 1844674406". The system itself doesn't feel like it's running out of ram.
I've played around in the BIOS with ram settings to no avail.

Multibeast settings : Quick Setup DSDT-free, Mac Pro 5,1, Intel Ethernet drivers.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Marc

EDIT: Removing all the ram sticks from one CPU solves the issue, but that limits me to 12gigs.

Did you happen to find a solution for this? I had 2 RAM sticks per CPU (4GB each) and only 4GB is detected in OS X (all 16 detected by the BIOS). I'm using Clover.

Did you happen to find a solution for this? I had 2 RAM sticks per CPU (4GB each) and only 4GB is detected in OS X (all 16 detected by the BIOS). I'm using Clover.
Did you mean 8GB was detected? (Half of what you have?)

I am having the same problem on my mobo X9DR6-F with dual E5 2670 installed El Capitan 10.11.5. I installed 8GB for each cpu to have 16GB in total as seen in BIOS, but the OS X shows 8 GB. I am still doing research on this.

Did you mean 8GB was detected? (Half of what you have?)

I am having the same problem on my mobo X9DR6-F with dual E5 2670 installed El Capitan 10.11.5. I installed 8GB for each cpu to have 16GB in total as seen in BIOS, but the OS X shows 8 GB. I am still doing research on this.
Still not sure what was happening, but I fixed the issue by manually adding the memory in Clover Configurator. Now all 16GB shows up.

Seems like there's some rather large variations in these Supermicro boards. I have an X8DTH-IF. Is there something special that must be done to enable all of the PCIe slots? From what I can see, OS X isn't even SEEING some of my cards and the Ethernet.

I think you probably need to find the right driver/kext for OS X to recognize your cards or your Ethernet. For Intel chip ethernet you might want to try IntelMausiEthernet and/or Hnak's AppleIntelE1000e.kext. I got both worked with my another mobo GA-Z97X-UD3H, having i217 under 10.11.6 and Clover. I finally kept the latter which has better compatibility for me. I'll try these kexts with my SM X9DR6-F when I am back from a trip.
If I remember correctly, some pci-e slots are enabled only when there is a 2nd CPU sitting besides the 1st one. You can refer to your mobo manual.

Do you have pictures of your final build?

I am curious if your Stryker system has room for "closed loop liquid cooling" CPU coolers (factory sealed)?

I am looking to build a system using the Stryker Full Tower case (dual 6 core Xeon /96 GB ram) my problem is I need a system that is QUIET and I need to install eight (8x) hard drives minimum.

I like the Stryker because (for air cooling) it uses mostly VERY LARGE (120+ mm) fans.

My worry is about that drive cage modular feature.

Any thoughts?

Hi Josh, thank you very much for great report!

Have you tried Sierra on this configuration?

Audioguyjosh, thank you for your write up! This helped me pull the trigger on building a similar system for Pro Tools. I've tested Mavericks, Yosemite, El Cap, and Sierra and Mavericks and Sierra seem to work the best. Yosemite and El Cap just don't want to restart or shutdown properly regardless of EveOreboot kext or any Clover fixes. I had no idea previously you could build a system of this level for so cheap on eBay :headbang:.

CPU: 2x X5650 6 core 2.6GHz
Mobo: X8DTL-i
Ram: Hynix 4x 4GB 1333MHz ECC Registered (HMT351R7BFR8C-H9)
GPU: EVGA GTX 650 (no NVIDIA driver)
PSU: EVGA 650BQ
SSD: 830 and 840 Pro
WIFI: TP Link N900
AUDIO: Focusrite 2i2 USB audio interface
SMBIOS Mac Pro 5,1 (this processor was used in 2010 Mac Pro 5,1 Westmere)

I used UniBeast 7 and MB 9 for Installation with Tonymac Sierra guide.
Problems with Sierra:
-System only seeing 8 out of 16GB I had installed, which I fixed by manually typing in the ram specs into SMBIOS on Clover Configurator.
-GTX 650 reading 0GB of VRAM. Tried installing NVIDIA driver, but stopped with the problem of the OS switching back to OS X driver after restart. Tried installing EmuVariableUefi-64, but no luck. Not sure I want to install RC Script using the Clover custom installer because it also wants to install Drivers64UEFI and who know what can of worms that will be.
Link for fix (Problem6): https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solving-nvidia-driver-install-loading-problems.161256/
EDIT: Turned off Inject NVIDIA in Clover and system now reads correct VRAM
-Sleep does not work and I haven't tried fixing it, not sure if there is one.

Haven't tested Ethernet
Don't have anything to test USB3 with.
Didn't Bother with iMessage and I only use USB audio

Pro Tools 12.5.2 appears to be working just fine with Sierra, but I haven't spent much time with it, don't have access to 12.6.

That's my story if it helps anyone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back