Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Supermicro X8DAL-I & Dual Xeons X5675

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Thanks for the build post, gave me some hope for my own build.
I'm running a Supermicro X8DTH-IF with a pair of X5670s.
I read through the X58 El Capitan post and your build post, but I still can't get the thing to get past the Clover Bootloader.
After I select the usb install drive in Clover I just get a blank screen with or without verbose mode.

Any tips? What's your Bios setup? It is my understanding that our motherboards are quite similar.

Things I did up to now:

In Bios : AHCI & Disable Vt-d.
In Cloverconfig : FixHPET FixDTGP FixDarwin FixIPIC AddMCHC FixUSB

Cheers,

Marc

Make sure to follow all steps for the X58 setup in Clover. Just like in Chimera you must have selected npci=0x2000 and darkwake=0. You should still see the text as it boots for a while even if your not using an appropriate video card, but that being said, what video card are you using?

Make sure to follow all steps for the X58 setup in Clover. Just like in Chimera you must have selected npci=0x2000 and darkwake=0. You should still see the text as it boots for a while even if your not using an appropriate video card, but that being said, what video card are you using?

I'll give darkwake=0 a shot. I'm currently running a 7970 ghz that ran fine in a previous hackintosh with UEFI clover. I also tried with a GTX 570 just to make sure.

Thanks,

Marc

Update: Gave darkwake=0 a shot, changed SMBIOS to Mac Pro 3,1. Still nothing.
Update 2: Graphics card placement was the issue. I placed it in a CPU2 pcie slot. Never been this happy to see a kernel panic!

Sorry to bug you again on this thread, I wish I could just pm you, but I'm a forum noob.
I got past the whole black screen thing but I can't for the life of me get past the kernel panics caused by AppleUSBXHCIPCI.
I tried creating a DSDT, but then thought to myself, but wait, how did Audioguyjosh manage to install El Cap without a DSDT?
So here are my questions.

How did you have any USB related issues during install? If so how did you go around them, or how did you prevent them in the first place?
What version of unibeast did you use?
I think I've read the X58 forum several times now, but no matter the number of different configurations, I can't farther than the USB kernel panic.

Marc

Sorry to bug you again on this thread, I wish I could just pm you, but I'm a forum noob.
I got past the whole black screen thing but I can't for the life of me get past the kernel panics caused by AppleUSBXHCIPCI.
I tried creating a DSDT, but then thought to myself, but wait, how did Audioguyjosh manage to install El Cap without a DSDT?
So here are my questions.

How did you have any USB related issues during install? If so how did you go around them, or how did you prevent them in the first place?
What version of unibeast did you use?
I think I've read the X58 forum several times now, but no matter the number of different configurations, I can't farther than the USB kernel panic.

Marc

Keep the discussions in threads so they can possibly help someone else with the same or a similar problem. If your kernel panic is from AppleUSBXHCIPCI can you tell me if you have any USB 3.0 cards installed? Even better give me a quick list of all your components. And attach your config.plist for good measure.

Keep the discussions in threads so they can possibly help someone else with the same or a similar problem. If your kernel panic is from AppleUSBUHCIPCI can you tell me if you have any USB 3.0 cards installed? Even better give me a quick list of all your components. And attach your config.plist for good measure.

I had a USB 3.0 card installed but removed it after the first kernel panic.
CPU : Xeon X5670 x2
Mobo : X8DTH-iF (7 pcie slots, 12 ram slots, 5520 chipset)
Ram : 4x4gb DDR3 dimm (non-ecc non-fb)
GPU : 7970Ghz (that I used under El Capitain on a previous Hackintosh)
USB : 3 ports on the motherboard, Asmedia 1042 Pcie USB 3 card (currently removed from the system)
Storage : A couple SSDs and Hard Drives

EDIT : Brain fart, it's AppleUSBUHCIPCI not USBXHCI. Still not working though.
Update 2 : Also tried Tonymac's config.plist, didn't work.

Attachments

• config.plist
    3.6 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_20160319_014502.jpg
    IMG_20160319_014502.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 293
I had a USB 3.0 card installed but removed it after the first kernel panic.
CPU : Xeon X5670 x2
Mobo : X8DTH-iF (7 pcie slots, 12 ram slots, 5520 chipset)
Ram : 4x4gb DDR3 dimm (non-ecc non-fb)
GPU : 7970Ghz (that I used under El Capitain on a previous Hackintosh)
USB : 3 ports on the motherboard, Asmedia 1042 Pcie USB 3 card (currently removed from the system)
Storage : A couple SSDs and Hard Drives

EDIT : Brain fart, it's AppleUSBUHCIPCI not USBXHCI. Still not working though.
Update 2 : Also tried Tonymac's config.plist, didn't work.

Try the attached config.plist. I don't see any problems except I added some more auto patches in case and changed the system definitions to Mac Pro 5,1 because these chipsets are closest to that system. Clover was using MacBook 5,2 as shown in your attached image.

Attachments

• config.plist
    4.4 KB · Views: 309
Try the attached config.plist. I don't see any problems except I added some more auto patches in case and changed the system definitions to Mac Pro 5,1 because these chipsets are closest to that system. Clover was using MacBook 5,2 as shown in your attached image.

Thanks for taking the time.

The config.plist you posted doesn't work either.
After playing around with different system identifiers and ACPI settings, I'm starting to believe the problem doesn't lie within the config file.

I believe there are two possibilities :

1) Wrong hardware setup
2) The version of El Capitan I downloaded just a few days ago is newer than the one you used (also Unibeast maybe)

Here's my hardware rundown :

My 7970 is in one of the PCie slots of the primary CPU, otherwise I get screen blackout.
I have regular u-dimms whereas you have ecc. We don't have quite the same board but the bios should be relatively similar in terms of features and options. I tried all usb ports, with or without EHCI, disabled the serial port.

Then again if there were major USB changes in the latest build of El Capitan I would have read about it, and so would you.
Sorry if my sentences are a bit slurry, it's 3am past in my part of the world.

What do you think?

Cheers

Marc

EDIT : Disabled the USB controller in the BIOS and booted almost successfully (I say almost because I got a spinning beachball and white screen) with a Yosemite Chameleon install I have in another Hackintosh. Still trying to figure out what the hell is wrong with my USB controller in relation to El Capitan.

Thanks for taking the time.

The config.plist you posted doesn't work either.
After playing around with different system identifiers and ACPI settings, I'm starting to believe the problem doesn't lie within the config file.

I believe there are two possibilities :

1) Wrong hardware setup
2) The version of El Capitan I downloaded just a few days ago is newer than the one you used (also Unibeast maybe)

Here's my hardware rundown :

My 7970 is in one of the PCie slots of the primary CPU, otherwise I get screen blackout.
I have regular u-dimms whereas you have ecc. We don't have quite the same board but the bios should be relatively similar in terms of features and options. I tried all usb ports, with or without EHCI, disabled the serial port.

Then again if there were major USB changes in the latest build of El Capitan I would have read about it, and so would you.
Sorry if my sentences are a bit slurry, it's 3am past in my part of the world.

What do you think?

Cheers

Marc

EDIT : Disabled the USB controller in the BIOS and booted almost successfully (I say almost because I got a spinning beachball and white screen) with a Yosemite Chameleon install I have in another Hackintosh. Still trying to figure out what the hell is wrong with my USB controller in relation to El Capitan.

Your USB controller shouldn't be a problem being ICH10R.

Hi,

After a couple weeks of frustration and lack of progress I picked up an X8DAL-I.
Installation was smooth enough, although I did have to update the BIOS to get rid of the "Checking NVRAM" at system startup.
One big issue is that only 12 out of my 24 gigs of ECC reg. ram is detected. Also, in activity monitor, my memory usage is constantly maxed out, displaying "Memory used : 1844674406". The system itself doesn't feel like it's running out of ram.
I've played around in the BIOS with ram settings to no avail.

Multibeast settings : Quick Setup DSDT-free, Mac Pro 5,1, Intel Ethernet drivers.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Marc

EDIT: Removing all the ram sticks from one CPU solves the issue, but that limits me to 12gigs.

Hi,

After a couple weeks of frustration and lack of progress I picked up an X8DAL-I.
Installation was smooth enough, although I did have to update the BIOS to get rid of the "Checking NVRAM" at system startup.
One big issue is that only 12 out of my 24 gigs of ECC reg. ram is detected. Also, in activity monitor, my memory usage is constantly maxed out, displaying "Memory used : 1844674406". The system itself doesn't feel like it's running out of ram.
I've played around in the BIOS with ram settings to no avail.

Multibeast settings : Quick Setup DSDT-free, Mac Pro 5,1, Intel Ethernet drivers.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Marc

EDIT: Removing all the ram sticks from one CPU solves the issue, but that limits me to 12gigs.

Are you using Clover now? Clover Legacy works for me on my X8-DAL and it's interesting to see how it picks a few things up better than Chimera/Chameleon like the RAM model and serial number. Chimera always showed the BIOS ROM under memory and would not show the serial number for two of my sticks of RAM. None of those cosmetic issues at all in Clover. If you have not yet give Clover a try.

If I find time in the next few months I'll try to make a guide for installing El Capitan with Clover Legacy. Unfortunately, time is short with the busy season coming up for my business and child #2 scheduled to be evicted in a little over a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back