Contribute
Register

[Success] Squirrelzone's Z370-A II - i5 9600k - Radeon 5700 build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Updating original post. Many changes since posting.
  • GPU: 5700=>Radeon VII
  • BIOS flash to 1202
  • USB Power SSDT w/ Hackintool kext method
  • Disk Eject script to combat external drives ejecting at sleep
  • Tweaks to enable sleep without disabling wake from USB

Yes, CSM is disabled. I believe that I saw in your write up:

Launch CSM Enabled
Secure Boot Disabled

I have it disabled, and I was able to delete the keys, but on prior hacks with other boards I was able to disable secure boot directly.

Currently it is working, with Mojave, Windows 10, and Catalina, but just curious about this.

Any help with the ThunderboltEX3 card would be appreciated. What did you try and didn't work for you? I've got a great build going based your of this guide with minor hardware differences like a 9700k and a Sapphire Radeon RX580 both running great. For me this is going to be used for Music Production and Thunderbolt would be nice for a lot of reasons with wider compatibility for higher end Audio Interfaces.

Any help with the ThunderboltEX3 card would be appreciated. What did you try and didn't work for you? I've got a great build going based your of this guide with minor hardware differences like a 9700k and a Sapphire Radeon RX580 both running great. For me this is going to be used for Music Production and Thunderbolt would be nice for a lot of reasons with wider compatibility for higher end Audio Interfaces.
Nice build. Yes, I can see why thunderbolt would be desired in your case. Unfortunately I didn’t document my trial well, sorry.
What I remember is that I followed the advice to set it up and make sure it works in windows first, then completely power the machine off and unplug for a minute. It showed as active in Windows but Catalina wouldn’t recognize any devices. The ports showed up in Hackintool under the USB section but that’s as far as I took it when I realized I have no use for Thunderbolt. There are a couple guides here on setting it up in BIOS but I’m on my phone so it’s hard to pull up. Give it a search. If you end up purchasing the card and trying, don’t make my mistake of not documenting it :)

Nice build. Yes, I can see why thunderbolt would be desired in your case. Unfortunately I didn’t document my trial well, sorry.
What I remember is that I followed the advice to set it up and make sure it works in windows first, then completely power the machine off and unplug for a minute. It showed as active in Windows but Catalina wouldn’t recognize any devices. The ports showed up in Hackintool under the USB section but that’s as far as I took it when I realized I have no use for Thunderbolt. There are a couple guides here on setting it up in BIOS but I’m on my phone so it’s hard to pull up. Give it a search. If you end up purchasing the card and trying, don’t make my mistake of not documenting it :)
Thanks I, did a little digging and to really get the full performance I was looking for, seems to require a flash of the controller's BIOS. I'm probably not going to do that but there are many articles written about titan ridge card flashing and i see some cards being sold as pre-flashed around as well (probably not a great idea). I was however able to simply get the card activated with windows and tweak some very minor BIOS settings to get the card to at least show when I have USB devices plugged in but alas I have nothing to test TB3 with yet. What I can gather is that ONLY TB3 aka no backwards compatibility with TB1/2 devices and also has some issues with some storage devices, like TB RAIDS, as well.

On a separate note, I am having one pesky little issue with this build. I'm having a random Kernel Panic issue and thankfully get a crash dump when booting back into OSX every time. It seems to be linked to "com.apple.iokit.IONVMeFamily" I'm using a "Silicon Power 1TB NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 M.2 2280 TLC SSD (SP001TBP34A60M28)" which didn't seem to have anything written about incompatibility concerning MacOS/Hackintoshing. Any help would be appreciated as researching this error is quite a mixed bag and most people are having reproducible effects whereas mine are seemingly random. For example: It happened early on in the build when I was installing about a hundred plugins aka running lots of installers back to back really taxing the drive which at first I thought was the issue. But then it started happening when I would open chrome with nothing else happening or after not touching the computer for a day or 2. It happened once during my work in a Pro Tools session while playing back. It also seems that the computer detects when I shut my monitors off (Using x2 1080p Display Port monitors) which I've also gotten stuck on a black screen when trying to turn it back on. I should also note that I am running "Google Backup and Sync" to a Large storage drive (16TB Seagate EXOS hooked up to internal SATA) in the background so thats the only thing constantly pinging any storage devices, however after downloading about 10 TB from the cloud it just upkeeps the small amounts of data being changed daily which ranges from nothing to a few gigs per day.

I'll post the Crash Dump if anyone has further insight into this issue and is willing to help a guy out!

Attachments

• IO NVME CRASH DUMP.rtf.zip
    4.1 KB · Views: 37
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back