Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Spballer's Build: GA-Z97X-GAMING-GT / i7-4790k / Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 SC

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one of the left is my subwoofer for my old logitech z4 speakers, the one to the right is a cable management box I ordered off amazon for like 15 bucks, came with two boxes and some other cable management stuff, pure awesome.

IMG_0521.jpg

Hey spballer, big ups for the guide and all the updates. My trusty sandy bridge motherboard kicked the bucket so I built a system almost identical to this only with a GTX 980. got everything running super smooth, no issues at all. thank you so much!

Hey spballer

I also followed your guide as closely as possible, but during the install I always get a kernel panic.
I have the DVI connected to the back of the computer, not my G1 Gaming GTX 970 gpu.

I was so excited when it got past DSMOS has arrived and gave me the language selection, after which i formatted the SSD but while it was extracting the BaseSystemResources.pkg, it crashed.
Picture of crash: http://i.imgur.com/qobSfz1.jpg
You can see the installer log behind the black bars.

Can you or anyone help?

Many thanks in advance,
rogue

Hey spballer

I also followed your guide as closely as possible, but during the install I always get a kernel panic.
I have the DVI connected to the back of the computer, not my G1 Gaming GTX 970 gpu.

I was so excited when it got past DSMOS has arrived and gave me the language selection, after which i formatted the SSD but while it was extracting the BaseSystemResources.pkg, it crashed.
Picture of crash: http://i.imgur.com/qobSfz1.jpg
You can see the installer log behind the black bars.

Can you or anyone help?

It's a deadbeef error - Use Search for more info.

Most of the time, this error is caused by the rollback AppleACPIPlatform.kext included in /Extra/Extensions on the USB by Unibeast. Removing it will cause the system to use the AppleACPIPlatform.kext intended for the version of OS X you're installing.

Or you could try adding maxmem=4096 to your boot flags.

Good Luck

Will maxmem=4096 affect the final install? Will I have to add it to the boot flags of the install and be limited to 4096?

EDIT: I tried using it but it still gives the deadbeef error, just as it tries to load the WindowServer process.

EDIT2: IT WORKS!! Currently creating an account :D
I used the bootflags: -v nv_disable=1 maxmem=4096 PCIRootUID=1

EDIT3: Well... I got all excited as I followed all the steps and installed the Nvidia drivers, the animations smoothed out and so I restarted into the BIOS to change from IGFX to PCI, then had no boot flags on Yosemite but it kernel crashes everytime now, no matter what bootflags i put. HELP :(
it always leaves the deadbeef error.

EDIT4: I have a faulty motherboard. The bloody RAM slot is dead, so that was causing all the issues.
However I still can't get the Ethernet working despite installing the kext as instructed, the Network prefpane only says Cable Unplugged, which is BS as on the back of the machine the ethernet port lights are blinking.
Also don't have a Bluetooth prefpane...

Will maxmem=4096 affect the final install?

No

Will I have to add it to the boot flags of the install

No

and be limited to 4096?

No

EDIT: I tried using it but it still gives the deadbeef error, just as it tries to load the WindowServer process.

In that case you might have to remove all RAM except for one DIMM or maybe use maxmem=2048.

Far easier to just delete the offending kext from the USB flash drive.

Good Luck

Hi all,

Pi1LGRIM,

Thank you for jumping in on the assistance in my absence, still sorting my room out. You rock :thumbup:

Roguedaemon,

It seems you have already found some wonderful help :), and discovered some bad news regarding your motherboard :(

If your memory slots are dead the same may be true for your motherboards networking hardware, hopefully when you get your replacement and reinstall everything goes smoothly. Also, it has come to my attention that MultiiBeast now includes a proper ethernet kext, that should also make things slightly easier.

Hope your replacement motherboard is a gem!

prolifix,

I'm ecstatic to hear your success with the build, come on back should you run into any issues down the road :thumbup:

G'day,

Well, my system is up and running KernelPanic-free, with the ethernet working as well all thanks to spballer and P1LGR1M! :D

Re: the mobo, Yeah, it's quite annoying as I only just cleaned the cpu thoroughly and reapplied my thermal paste and got the Hyper 212 EVO on there, and of course perfectly managed the cables, took me ages, and now I have to tear it all off and redo it after a week's wait! D:
I'll be applying for a replacement in a couple of weeks, both excited and sad :/

I had issues with no audio and no brightness controls from the keyboard, but i just realised I hadn't updated to 10.10.2 yet, and with that the Audio works!!!
I also had issues with quicktime but it was just the audio that kept it from working.
A couple of restarts later, brightness is also working correctly!

NOTE: sorry for all the edits I keep doing, I'd rather this than spamming posts.

Should I start new successful build thread? So far everything is working perfectly, except for the startup logo, which doesn't display correctly, however it doesn't affect startup itself at all.

seems I spoke too soon. Looks like I am having issues with CPU and multiplier states. I haven't had a chance to see if the kernel logs anything, so I am not 100% sure if it's the same problem others are having, but it certainly seems so. No one has had any luck figuring that one out yet, have they? Im running as 3,1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back