Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Spballer's Build: GA-Z97X-GAMING-GT / i7-4790k / Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 SC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to all the folks who have posted and been waiting on a response, I'm in the process of moving and very busy.

cruiser,

Congratulations on getting your video card up and running :thumbup: And yes, audio is fine, other than the typical no audio after sleep (which is easily remedied in a few different methods discussed in earlier in this thread, but in detail in the "audio" sub-forum here on tonymacx86).

kgriffith84,

DSL, awesome :D Haven't even heard a reference to DSL in years. I was pretty much sitting in the same boat as you describe skill wise, possibly even less since I had never built a computer before, thats why I wanted to be fairly thorough. The guide should be good to you through, but please let me know if there is anything that is confusing or outdated (I really need some time to update a few things, mainly parts links if they have moved). Best of luck and I look forward to hearing your progress :headbang:

Bananabank,

I use one apple wired keyboard for the hackintosh, and I have a bluetooth keyboard (Logitech K811) that has "easy switching" between 3 machines, I use that for hanging in bed or typing away from the actual desk. I have a few other apple wireless keyboards, one that is set up for the hackintosh, one for the macbook pro, but the logitech K811 has retired them all (backlit, rechargeable, multiple machines).

I also haven't used my macbook pro much at all since I got the hackintosh up, its not even set up to my monitor at the moment. I did at one point have it connected, and I just had its magic trackpad/wireless keyboard off to the side on a shelf for if I ever needed to control it (in clamshell mode).

I hope that answers everyones questions... I'm a bit worn out and distracted and not sure how clear and concise I am portraying my responses. I should be done moving within the next few days and able to do a little personal reboot afterwards, looking forward to that because right now I feel :crazy: lol

Put everything together today and the install was going smoothly until I encountered the essentials.pkg error.

So so far I have done the boot flags outlined in your build.
Added -no-vp
taken all but one stick of memory out of the computer.

No dice yet. Any suggestions? I am going to remake usb installer tomorrow.

Hi Spballer,

Thanks for the write up, these instructions also worked 100% for the Gaming 3 motherboard. Only difference is that the ethernet driver is now part of multibeast.

Regards,

Dz

Brief update: I had logged a call with Gigabyte re some audio static. They advised upgrading the BIOS to a newly released version http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/BIOS/mb_bios_ga-z97x-gaming3_f6h.zip which I did but the system hangs after about 5mins for no apparent reason. Re-flashed version F5 and it's all okay again. Be warned.

UPDATE: This last bit may be another issue. I've been having a freezing issue with the build, see
http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/157488-how-trouble-shoot-issues-your-hackintosh-freezing.html

For more details.

Quick update: I think I've resolved this by setting the System Definition to 14,2. I don't know what changes it makes but we're on for over 24hrs without a freeze

This guide worked great for me. I had a little trouble with the software install but after some tinkering it worked great! network, audio, gpu with dual display, parallels 10 with windows 10 all working just fine. Could not be happier!

Hi all,

Just got internet at my new place and back online, still a long way to go before I'm settled but now I can at least take breaks and respond to questions/comments.

kgriffith84,

Sorry I wasn't able to respond until after you had already figured things out. What ended up being the issue, USB drive or MultiBeast selections?

In any event, I'm thrilled you have your machine up and running, good job :thumbup:

dz0rpw,

Thanks for the heads up on the Gaming 3 MB flash! I'm sure people will find that helpful. Very nice that multibeast now includes the ethernet driver, my hat is off to all the hard working folks that make hackintosh'ing possible :clap:

Very excited to hear your machine is up and running and that the guide works for your MB :headbang:

My new desk :)

image.jpg

Hi Spballer, nice set up! :headbang:

Anyways, I'm new to this and having problems getting into the Installer step (it loads for about 25% and stops there).

I followed the steps you listed closely, but I cant seem to "Set Extreme Memory Profile to Profile 1" cos it's not listed in the BIOS. I think my RAM doesn't have XMP support.

Is there any other way that I can solve this issue (besides buying a new set of ram cos i just bought this cpu set up a week ago)?

My CPU set up (if it helps):
Case: Fractal Design Node 304
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI
CPU: i7-4790K
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 (Gigabyte GV-N960WF2OC-2GD)
Memory: 2 x DDR3 1600Mhz CL11 ADATA 8GB single
Storage: Plextor M6M 128GB + HGST Deskstar NAS 7200rpm 3TB
PSU: Seasonic 620W M12-II-620
CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Nepton 120XL
Monitor: Dell IPS U2414H (connected via HDMI)

Thank you!

Hi all,

Just got internet at my new place and back online, still a long way to go before I'm settled but now I can at least take breaks and respond to questions/comments.

kgriffith84,

Sorry I wasn't able to respond until after you had already figured things out. What ended up being the issue, USB drive or MultiBeast selections?

In any event, I'm thrilled you have your machine up and running, good job :thumbup:

I ended up reformatting my usb and recreating my unibeast installer and that did the trick. After initial install and restart I could only get into yosemite by using just the nv_disable=1 without any other boot flags. Strange but it did the trick. My geek bench score was 4114 single core 32 bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back