Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Spballer's Build: GA-Z97X-GAMING-GT / i7-4790k / Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 SC

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I was you, I'd do a fresh install to get the correct drivers/kexts install for stable performance. It could be as simple as changing the 'States to No, but your build description should reflect a good working system that others can follow.

Indeed, the last thing I want to do is show an incorrect method in my build thread. I'll post a note at the top of my build with my current situation so someone doesn't go following it in the meantime.

Performance wise the machine is wonderful, I'm very happy with my benchmarks and everything, but now I'm just worried about this power management thing, and truth be told, I would love to be booting with clover.

I'm going to load an old hd I have laying around in the machine and do some tinkering on that before I do anything else on this particular drive. Hopefully be back with updates sooner rather than later!

Stork, I believe I've had some success. When I ran MultiBeast DSDT Free and left GenerateCPU States unchecked, I have stable boots without any flags. I removed the nullCPUpowermanagement.kext from S/L/E and repaired permissions as well. Everything seems good, no decrease in performance, all benchmarks are the same or slightly higher, none dropped.

Is there a way I can double check that the CPU is using its own power management?

Also, I am still on 3.1 system definition, and that got me to thinking about your Hector build... you mentioned it was suggested to use iMac 14.2 system definition, is this an important part of the CPU power management? Is 3.1 too old to allow the chip to handle this duty?

EDIT: I've been playing with system definitions a little, 3.1 / 14.2 / 6.1 all seem the same, benchmarks all close to each other (3.1 still holds the top spot). I'm avoiding 5.1 like the plague, I've had appleTYMECD or whatever it is panic's whenever I used it, and I don't want to delete a kext that may be needed in the future.

All I need to do is confirm that CPU is using its own power management and I'm ready to either edit this thread again, or preferably, have it deleted and re-write it.

Stork, thanks again for your help. I tried to send you a PM but I couldn't because of my number of posts. I went get all mushy with ya here but just know I really appreciate your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stork, I believe I've had some success...Is there a way I can double check that the CPU is using its own power management?
Yes, use DCPIManage. Click on the P-State icon in the window's menu bar. Your P-States will vary depending upon your System Definition. An iMac will have idle and max/turbo P-States because that's how Apple designed the iMac to operate. You can look into adding an SSDT after you get your system stable.

spballer said:
Also, I am still on 3.1 system definition, and that got me to thinking about your Hector build... you mentioned it was suggested to use iMac 14.2 system definition, is this an important part of the CPU power management? Is 3.1 too old to allow the chip to handle this duty?

EDIT: I've been playing with system definitions a little, 3.1 / 14.2 / 6.1 all seem the same, benchmarks all close to each other (3.1 still holds the top spot). I'm avoiding 5.1 like the plague, I've had appleTYMECD or whatever it is panic's whenever I used it, and I don't want to delete a kext that may be needed in the future.

All I need to do is confirm that CPU is using its own power management and I'm ready to either edit this thread again, or preferably, have it deleted and re-write it.
Hector uses the iMac14,2 SysDef because I'm using the on-board, Intel Integrated Graphics instead of a graphics card, for the present. As you found out, a MP3,1 SysDef works the best with a graphics card.

spballer said:
Stork, thanks again for your help. I tried to send you a PM but I couldn't because of my number of posts. I went get all mushy with ya here but just know I really appreciate your help.
You're welcome. We encourage posting your problems in order to promote sharing problems & their solutions.

Hi Stork, one last item before I hopefully can start re-working my thread. I wanted to check that what I'm seeing in P States from DPCIManager looks correct, I'm not 100% sure what I should be hoping to see.

This is is the sort of thing I'm seeing.

11/25/14, 11:05:08 PM, Current State: 8
11/25/14, 11:05:08 PM, P States: 8, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44
11/25/14, 11:05:00 PM, Current State: 8
11/25/14, 11:05:00 PM, P States: 8, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44
11/25/14, 11:04:53 PM, Current State: 8
11/25/14, 11:04:53 PM, P States: 8, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44
11/25/14, 11:04:46 PM, Current State: 8
11/25/14, 11:04:46 PM, P States: 8, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

Current state will go into 40-44 range when running something (I ran geekbench with the logs on just to see if the current state did switch).

Some of my searches led me to think this is fine, some led me to think otherwise (they had P state ranges with many more variables). Does this look proper to you?

P.s.
This is from my set up with the Mac Pro 3,1 System Definition. I assume 8 is idle, and 40-44 are max/turbo, but you mentioned that would be something off an iMac System Definition, so I just wanted to double check the results with someone who knows.

I'll rework my build threads information if this checks out. Thanks for the informational response and link to DPCIManager!

Yes, that's correct from what I know. If you feel adventurous (backup your system :thumbup:), see the below guides to create an SSDT for better power management. I'll try Pike's latest version over the next couple of days on my Hector build.

Latest by Pike: http://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2014/11/26/ssdtprgen-sh-v15-1-released/ <--- just published.

Slightly older guides >

Pike's forum thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/ssdt/86906-ssdt-generation-script-ivybridge-pm.html

toleda's excellent guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...vericks-native-cpu-igpu-power-management.html

Awesome, thank you Stork!

I ran into pike and toledas stuff in my very brief searches, looked super interesting and I'll have to go back to them later today when I have some time and give them their due. Just didn't have much time yesterday.

Hello, i'm very interested in your installation process, i'm following it from first post!
Please write a very detailed guide when you will have done.
I will buy i7-4970k and GTX 970 so your thread will be very useful to me!

Hello, i'm very interested in your installation process, i'm following it from first post!
Please write a very detailed guide when you will have done.
I will buy i7-4970k and GTX 970 so your thread will be very useful to me!

Hi AmenRa,

When I get back later today I will re-work the installation process, in greater detail and with a proper set up. If you are building with the same components or something similar it should be able get you up and running with great stability and functionality :) As is to be expected booting chimera, iMessage does not work, however, absolutely everything else works great.

In the meantime, if you have your components and are itching to get up and running you can follow the Yosemite Unibeast guide by Tonymacx86 and use the DSDT Free selection when you get to post installation with Multibeast and just be sure to leave the Generate CPU states unchecked. (This was the reason it was suggested I rework my installation, I was using easybeast which included nullCPUpowermanagement.kext when my CPU has its own power management, while it worked ok, it was unnecessary as well as simply the incorrect method to go about post installation for this build.)

There are also a lot of other great build threads and guides available and I suggest you look at as many as possible that are close to your components list so you can see the similarities and get an even better understanding of what will and will not work for your particular set up. Knowledge is power!

One last note, I am going to be trying to get stable boots with clover over the next few days on a spare HD and hope to post a successful method for that as well, I'd really like to claim 100% functionality with iMessage.

I just can't thank you enough Sir, I'm building a very similar system (the main difference been that I'm using the gaming 7 instead of your gaming GT) and your progress is incredible, so useful, in special when we consider that I'm a very big noob, this build of mine is my first hackintosh.

Thanks again, can't wait to see your results on the Clover installation :thumbup:.

Thanks luisma96 :)

As mentioned this was my first build as well, I want to do my best to make it extremely easy for others doing this for their first time, so I'm taking more photo's and screenshots and going to go into greater detail in hopes of making the process a little less intimidating. (compling everything right now)

I was scared I'd mess up, and sure enough I did, A LOT! It was a great learning experience, but it was also frustrating, I just hope to take the frustration aspect out of the picture.

I'm sure I'll be making plenty more mistakes and experiencing new frustrations trying to get Clover up and running, but I must admit, its part of why this whole experience has been so rewarding. Contrast brings richness to our lives, without the frustrations of failures and mistakes the joy of success wouldn't be so sweet!

I look forward to hearing back from you on your progress!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back