Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Spballer's Build: GA-Z97X-GAMING-GT / i7-4790k / Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 SC

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me the issue was and still occasionally is the ethernet port on this motherboard. If I use my wifi card no crashes (running clover improved my stability as well).

Maybe post the error report as there are some pretty experienced folks that can give you some clues. When you reboot after a freeze it should give you the option to view the report.

I'm having an issue with my Gaming 5 board and the Killer NIC and hoping you have some ideas. My complete HW setup is in my signature.

My system is 99% functional and stable, using the latest Clover bootloader. No OS freezes, KPs, I have all USB 2/3 ports operational, HDMI audio working perfectly, sleep & resume work fine, even iMessage, iCloud, & FaceTime. The one problem I have, that if I am doing any type of heavy network bandwidth operation, such as Time Machine backup, the ethernet connection drops and Network prefs say "ethernet not connected". I've tried a few different cables & ethernet ports on the switch, same result. This same HW setup was 100% functional & stable with Windows 7 & 8.1, so I am pretty confident there isn't a hardware issue. I am using the latest & greatest kext for the NIC. I can web surf for days, and I even installed several apps from the app store. But when I try to do a Time Machine backup, or sync my Google Drive, ethernet disconnects. I'm baffled.

Any ideas?

Hi Dear Friend,

i have the same cpu , same gpu but gigabyte, i do same steps like you and when i boot, i stuck on a black screen like this http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g189/nahfeese/dy1t9f.png

its the problem on my igfx or what ?

thank you for your help

Did you ever solve your issue? I'm not quite sure what the issue would be, but trying with and without IGFX might be a good starting point.. hopefully its been long since fixed!

I'm having an issue with my Gaming 5 board and the Killer NIC and hoping you have some ideas. My complete HW setup is in my signature.

My system is 99% functional and stable, using the latest Clover bootloader. No OS freezes, KPs, I have all USB 2/3 ports operational, HDMI audio working perfectly, sleep & resume work fine, even iMessage, iCloud, & FaceTime. The one problem I have, that if I am doing any type of heavy network bandwidth operation, such as Time Machine backup, the ethernet connection drops and Network prefs say "ethernet not connected". I've tried a few different cables & ethernet ports on the switch, same result. This same HW setup was 100% functional & stable with Windows 7 & 8.1, so I am pretty confident there isn't a hardware issue. I am using the latest & greatest kext for the NIC. I can web surf for days, and I even installed several apps from the app store. But when I try to do a Time Machine backup, or sync my Google Drive, ethernet disconnects. I'm baffled.

Any ideas?

That is beyond me my friend, I would've probably attempted the same fixes as you. Deepest apologies and I hope you have solved this issue since posting!

Couple of benchmarks since upgrading to Sierra (which was less than smooth, but only due to my own stupidity.. I should have checked the forums first and waited to update until 10.12.3 NVIDIA Web Drivers were out).

Also, my Corsair H75's pump quit on me, and I was scared I was gonna fry the CPU, was idling at temps around 60-65C and even slight loads would push it into the 90's. I went and got an H80i and things are back to tip top shape, idling around 28C and hitting mid 50's in benchmarks.

I am finally going to make the multi booting move, with Windows 10 on a separate SSD. I'll report back on how it goes when the time comes in a week or so. Gotta pay my bills before I pick up a license and another SSD lol.

I'll do my best to be more attentive here on my build thread as well, when work ramps up I tend to get lost in it, but I feel rather guilty for leaving so many peoples questions without response (not that I'd be able to answer, I'm far from an expert in all things hackintosh, but I don't want to leave anyone hanging altogether). As I've said before, many thanks to those that have pitched in to answer questions! This community rocks :)

Without any further ado, here are the scores from various things:
Screen Shot 2017-01-28 at 12.40.17 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-01-29 at 6.30.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-01-29 at 6.33.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-01-29 at 6.36.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-01-29 at 6.40.21 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-01-29 at 6.50.23 PM.png

All benchmarks are improved from the time of initial build (early benchmarks can be found on page 3 of this thread).

Cheers

Hello,
I would like to ask if anyone of you using this board has managed to obtain readings, most important fan speeds, from the IT8790E LPC.

Actually this board is equipped with 2 LPCs, one IT8620E and another IT8790E controller.
The IT8790E handles the CPU, CPU_OPT and SYS_FAN1 headers.

Hardware Sensors LPC plugin works fine with the IT8620E chip but does not even detect the second controller.
Thx.

Hi spballer!
Did you do the USB fix for this board?
I know there are guides around but my head spins a bit in how to implement.
Currently only one of my ports will do USB3 speeds and the rest just operate as USB2.
Anyone using this board with some tips would be awesome! :)

I have my old gaming machine - same board, same CPU as this build!
Going to attempt a hackintosh build.
Got a 1050ti that's been sitting on the shelf which will hopefully work great with this build.

Keep updated on how it goes.

Hi guys,

Sorry to bump this post. I built my computer following this guide years ago.

Recently, my motherboard broke, and I am looking to buy a new one. However, the motherboard (GA-Z97-MX-GAMING5) is no longer sold where I live...

Is there any other motherboard I can buy that will work with my build?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back