Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Spballer's Build: GA-Z97X-GAMING-GT / i7-4790k / Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 SC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Spballer,

Very comprehensive post and awesome build!

I have similar set up, but I am using gigabyte z79x gaming 7 mobo and GTX750Ti gpu, the problem I had is whenever I install the Multibeast 7.3.0 and restart, the system panic will show up and no boot flags can help to successfully re-boot again:banghead:. no matter how the Multibeast was configured.

Have you experienced any problem like this before? By the way, I was using Yosemite 10.10.3. I am new to hackintosh, so I am wonder if you can give me some advice.

Thank you,
Chris

Spballer,

Thanks for this thread. I was stuck on my older 7 series mobo, and couldnt for the life of me get Yosemite and my mobo to play nice together.

I wanted to stay Thunderbolt, so found your thread. Prepper the USB stick on the box. Turned it off, swapped mobo, booted from stick and got it installed after only some minor oversights on my part. But for the life of me, the install on this board compared to my other gigabyte is night and day.

I for some reason could not get the OS to request the nvidia drivers. Sort of like it was totally ignoring the card. Then finally I guess I kicked the right tire.

The pictures and thread helped immensely. I still owe thanks to toleda and stork for their efforts in helping me with my other mobo.

I'd love to have a Quadro in this box, but I'm not sure if the $1700 one will work. Wat was it, K5000, I think. Ive never test drove a system with a killer card and i wish the gtx had more balls.

Thanks anyhooooo :)

EDIT***** day two after install, the only idiosyncrasy the install is showing is the signal thru hdmi will cut out every ten minutes or so. Loss of signal, then it comes back after 1-2 seconds.

EDIT MY EDIT ****** All is well no more signal dropouts.

How did you get the audio to work?
I have the same motherboard but no luck.

I am building a system based on Sballer's design using the same motherboard.

For some reason it detects the SATA drives in bios mode but it doesn't detect the SATA drives to boot or target for OS installation.

I removed a drive and formatted it in another system. It recognized it when connected as a USB external and was seen as an elibigle target for the OS installation but when I hooked the formatted drive up internally it only saw it in the bios mode again.

I have tried several cables and SATA slots. I am running the system at minimal hardware to reduce the number of potential sources and simplify things.

I then went back and installed Yosemite as a USB external but when it came time to go to Multibeast when the two icons were on screen after initial installation of Yosemite I typed in the text "-v nv_disable=1" but it resulted in a scrolling screen of text then froze.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Looks like the Intel SATA controller is problematic according to various reports online. After switching to the Marvell slots I had avoided because they were supposedly inferior to Intel the system is recognizing drives. Sucks.... there are only 2 Marvell slots but 6 useless Intel slots. It does not recognize the DVD/CD drive either.

EDIT 2: This build is a bit outdated. If you download Yosemite at this time like I did you receive 10.10.4 so the linked NVidia driver will not work (10.10.1 and later Update 10.10.2) There is a new NVidia driver just released 070215. So you can do the latest install in one step.

Struggled with it but eventually have a working system. Still using Marvell chip slots but the one Intel slot filled by the DVD/CD player is working. No idea how that happened. The problem seems to be using the Intel slots for the boot drive. Let's see whether this holds up. There are reports of drives disappearing. I did not have audio for a long time either then it was working at some point.

In some ways this is so easy but the few hiccups seem like they may not get resolved until they are. But looking back this still seems so easy. The things that go the way they are supposed shine. This system is a jet compared to all of the prop planes I have had before it.

Next up is getting my Wacom and audio interface working.

Last edited:
building system identical to yours

only can't find a copy if yosemite 10.10.0

the one i get on app store is 10.10.4

were do i get the original

jacques savard

Montreal

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for my extended absence, work has revved up lately.

I see some folks are running into issue's or concerns over the out-dated Yosemite/Nvidia driver versions referenced in the build. I won't have time until Thursday to update the guide and will do so at that point;

In the meantime, if you are building from scratch there shouldn't be any issue with using the latest Yosemite version (10.10.4), just make sure your MultiBeast is also up to date (7.4). If using an Nvidia card all steps will also be the same, but with the most current version of those drivers (346.02.02f03).

For those experiencing audio issues, you have to reload the audio driver (Realtek ALC1150) via MultiBeast after every update to Yosemite. After loading the driver a restart will solve any missing audio, sleeping the computer still seems disengage audio for me so I just don't sleep the machine (there are other methods, but I personally find this easiest). ALSO for those wondering, I have my audio plugged into the motherboard, I'm not using the graphics cards' ports(HDMI/DP, etc) to drive audio (I think I saw someone asking about audio from graphics cards and hope this helps grant the machine some sound!).

TRIM is now removed in the latest Yosemite update, but can be forced via Terminal and the command:
Code:
sudo trimforce enable

FWIW: Updating my machine has been pretty easy, just requires a few steps for the Nvidia card (initially booting from update with NV_disable=1, then updating drivers and activating them), and a reload of audio and trim. Nothing besides that.

Once again, I apologize to anyone that has felt left in the dark during my absence, and I will update the build information on Thursday. Huge thanks to those that have helped answer questions and concerns while I haven't been able to! Much Love!!!

EDIT:
Called in today for a job, sorry all for lack of an update, hopefully I will be able to get to it on Sunday when I hopefully have that day off.

Hi! I've built exactly the same system as you spballer, and I've almost had no problems during the install and after that. Unfortunately, one week after everything was configured, the system just froze. And from that point, it started to freeze much more frequently. I made changes in BIOS, i.e. dropped the RAM frequency from 1800 to 1600 MHz, and change RAM voltage from1.5 to 1.6 volt. I've changed the system def from Mac Pro3.1 to iMac 14,2. But the freezes still occur...
Lately, the freezes haven't been that frequent as before. Perhaps every third day. These freezes occur very randomly and I don't know what things is causing this problem..
I´ve had no problems with kernel panics after installation. It always boots fine!

I'm at Yosemite 10.10.5.

Edit.
I run windows 10 on one ssd and mac osx on the other. I also have one hard drive (barracuda), partitioned in mac, where I save music projects etc.
The things is, in win 10 I have no problems with freezing, so I am almost sure of that something is wrong in mac os.. :roll2:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back