Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Spballer's Build: GA-Z97X-GAMING-GT / i7-4790k / Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 SC

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, thanks a lot guys for all your help. I am able to put it together, my Hackintosh is up and running smoothly with some minor problemsP: rear USB 3.0 and sleep (it slept and won't wake up lol). Any suggestion? I will upload some screenshot and benchmark soon, which is the best program for benchmarking? thanks again.

Hi Spballer!!!

Thanks for your nice detailed guide!!!

Ive been dealing with my setup all day. All was fine but i think after playing with different system definitions i screw up my sound...

Now I can't get the sound to work again... i have try with Toledas, Multibeast but nothing seems to work...

Do you have any suggestion????

thanks in advance!!!!!

edit.- got same hardware except mob is GAMING 5 instead of GT

Have you play around with your sound section in the system preference? I was having same issue

Hi forum folks!

nhat179,

Any luck with the sleep/usb issue? The only thing I can think of is in your initial set up options in multibeast, in the misc section, you want to make sure that the USB 3.0 - Universal is not checked. It is unnecessary on this build. I also am not using EvOreboot (unchecked), and that may have something to do with your issue if you are using that. If you can remember checking either of those I'd suggest hunting down those kexts and removing them.

There are several good benchmarking programs that folks use. Geekbench 3 (good overall benchmark of system), blackmagic disk speed test (for HD/SSD), Unigine Heaven (for GPU), cinebench (CPU/GPU), luxmark render (CPU/GPU). There are a million more out there, but those are popular and have free versions. There is a thread on this site somewhere that has links to them all, but a google search will provide the same.

palote99,

Thank you for your appreciation!

I know the pain of system definition testing :( For the most part I was able to switch freely between them and not run into any problems, until I tried 5,1 sys def. After trying that I was unable to boot back up because of panics I didn't understand.

I would suggest firstly going back to a functional system definition you are comfortable with (3,1 would be my suggestion, I tried a lot of different ones and even though 3,1 has been around for a long time, I have the most stability with it, as well as the highest benchmarks).

Once you are back on a a system definition you know worked, find the audio driver/kext and delete it. Then open multibeast and reinstall it.

Then open disk utility and verify/repair permisssions on your hd, then I also like to run kext utility (which can be downloaded from this website in the downloads section under community software).

Restart and open your sound preferences, make sure the proper input/output selections have been made (I use external speakers plugged into the motherboard, an old logitech system. my sound preference selections for sound output are; Internal Speakers / Built-in). Do some testing.

If that doesn't work I hate to say it, but I would probably just start over again, I had to do that quite a few times and it really doesn't take too long, in many of my cases doing this was much faster than finding and fixing a problem by other means. You could also open a thread in the forums "post installation" "Audio" subforum with a detailed description, perhaps someone there will know a more simple fix than I do.

Hi spballer - I was just curious if you ended up sticking with the 3,1 system def? I tried 3,1 and 14,2 with my 4790K but didn't see any appreciable difference in benchmarks.

Thanks

Hi emjay96,

Yes, I decided to stay with 3,1 after running benchmarks on several other system definitions. I also didn't see anything jump out and make me want to switch. In fact, while the numerical differences weren't incredible, 3,1 maintained the highest scores out of what I tested.

Yeah, I found the same thing in my circumstance.

Couple final questions if you don't mind.

Did you have better results under clover than chimera?

When you installed your 970 you didn't add nvda_drv=1 to your plist file? Assuming you installed it under chimera. It seemed like that's the advisement from Tonymac regarding the nvidia driver.

Thanks for your time

I don't mind one bit.

I never did end up working with clover. I had tried a few times early on, and never had much success with it. After I got my system up and running with this method I had planned on doing clover, but then the iMessage situation changed and you couldn't even use it via clover. There was nothing else I needed to use clover to iron out, so I just opted to stick with chimera.

NOW, it seems that there is a method to get iMessage working again, however, I'm in no rush. Should I get another Hard Drive to mess around with I'll try clover out and post a clover guide at that time, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

After lots and lots of failed attempts to get the video card recognized and the system to run off the video card, I discovered that nvda_drv=1 is automatically added to the plist when you switch over from OS X Default Drivers to NVIDIA Web Drivers via the NVIDIA Driver Manager and its' requested restart. If for some reason this is no longer the case, then adding nvda_drv=1 to the plist manually would be just fine, and it is just fine regardless. I just opted for one less step by letting the driver manager take care of the file change for me.

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions or post any concerns / issue's. The more information the merrier :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back