Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Spballer's Build: GA-Z97X-GAMING-GT / i7-4790k / Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 SC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am appreciate the quick reply, I just download it. I will give it a try. So after installation of GTX driver, I just boot straight from Yosemite HDD without any flag? Thanks again.

After you download and install that driver you will then have to make sure your system will run off that rather than the OS X drivers. To do this you will want to:

1.) Go into system preferences (this is after download/install) and open the NVIDIA Driver Manager.

2.) There will be three tabs, Graphics Drivers/ECC/Updates. Click on Graphics Drivers.

3.) There will be two options, NVIDIA Web Driver / OS X Default Graphics Driver. Click NVIDIA Web Driver.

4.) Below those two options it will say "Click Restart for the change to take effect, and there will be a button. Click to restart (you may be prompted to restart when you select the option in step 3, but if not, Restart like this.

5.) Boot into your BIOS and disable the internal graphics, and switch your initial display port to PCIe 1 Slot (assuming that is where your video card is). At this time you can also switch your monitors connections over to the video card. Save and exit (visual aids for this can be found on page 1 of this thread).

6.) Start the machine. You should be able to boot without any flags as the system will be operating off the web drivers.

It seems like a lot of steps, but as you go through it you'll find its more like one or two processes, I just wanted to break it down in detail. Let me know how it goes and good luck!

p.s. This is all outlined and includes visual aids on page 1 of this build thread if you run into any further questions you may find clarification there. If not please don't hesitate to ask!

I would not have been able to build my machine without the help of many members on this site, it is an honor and my responsibility to give back to the website if at all possible.

Anytime DayDaemon,

Yes, you can use a newer multibeast off a previous unibeast install. Unibeast is a tool to create a bootable USB. Multibeast is post installation, its' what actually loads drivers and necessary kexts for the build.

I'm not sure, but I believe previous versions are around because not everyone wants to run the latest OS version, or has the hardware to do so, and previous multibeast versions are specific to an OS version based on what kexts are necessary within that OS. Like I said, I'm not sure, but that is what makes sense to me without looking into it.

So, I am still stuck with no audio and getting a little frustrated. I have since upgraded to the latest version of Yosemite thinking it might have been an issue of trying to use the latest codec with an older OS, but still no love. I even thought it might be something as silly as audio being disabled in BIOS so I double-checked that. The only thing I saw was I could set audio to "auto", but it is currently set to "enabled" for onboard audio controller. Seeing that you have the same board, can you check that setting in BIOS for me? I am starting to get a little nervous that my motherboard audio might be faulty, but then again I hear audible beeps when it is booting... The trouble shooting guide at "toledo/audio_ALC_guides" are kinda cryptic and asking me to verify certain entries in my "org.chameleon.Boot.plist" I can't even find, much less verify entries in that file! :roll2:

ADDENDUM: I think I might be on to something else! I downloaded a suggested tool from Toleda called DPCIManger and in the "MISC" tab I noticed the following that was very interesting in my BOOT log:
--------------------------------
- AUDIO DEVICE INFO -
Class code: [0403]
Model name: nVidia GK110 HDA Controller (HDMi) [10de:0e1a] (rev a1)
Subsystem: [1043:8469]
PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x10,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x1)
device number: 2

-------------------------------
- AUDIO DEVICE INFO -
Using user supplied HDEF layout-id: 0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
Class code: [0403]
Model name: Intel 9 Series High Definition Audio Controller [8086:8ca0] (rev 00)
Subsystem: [1458:a0b2]
PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1b,0x0)
device number: 3
Two entries for audio devices?!

Last edited:
I don't know if there is anything wrong with my system, I manage to have internet, but I still have to use -x -v command to make it to desktop. About GTX970 driver, I loaded it and still won't detect on the system report. Did you choose legacy when you create yosemite usb? Any suggestion? I have Asrock Z77 OC Formula. Thanks

I don't know if there is anything wrong with my system, I manage to have internet, but I still have to use -x -v command to make it to desktop. About GTX970 driver, I loaded it and still won't detect on the system report. Did you choose legacy when you create yosemite usb? Any suggestion? I have Asrock Z77 OC Formula. Thanks

After you installed the Nvidia web driver did you add nvda_drv=1 to your plist file? Post #1 shows the steps:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...ate-graphics-drivers-10-10-1-343-01-02-a.html

Hope that helps.

Spballer -

I am at work right now, being slightly unproductive, thinking about the current state of my Hackintosh with no audio, and I think I have found out why your Audio works and my doesn't! It boils down to the fact, I think, that you got your audio working with the on-board graphics enabled PRIOR to configuring your graphics card and you did not rely on native support in the OS for your GPU like I did.

So I went down the Google rabbit hole trying to find out how to disable NVIDIA’s HDMI Audio in the graphics card and lo and behold I ran across this article but for LINUX - http://techgage.com/news/disabling_nvidias_hdmi_audio_under_linux/

Seems like this has been an annoying problem going back for quite some time now! What was cool though is I did get WoW to work albeit still with no sound because DPCIManager "suggested" that I install some Voodoo kExt, which when I did showed 4 "optical" Output devices (and no Input devices still)! I choose the first one on the list, closed out System Preferences>Sound, fired up the game and BOOM! Blizzard trailer (which looked gorgeous btw)!!

I am trying to avoid as much as possible having to do a re-install, so what I am hoping to do is:
1. Remove the Voodoo kExt
2. Re-enable onboard audio
3. Re-enable onboard video
4. Start system bypassing video card
5. Run Multibeast, selecting ALC1150
6. Restart system and verify audio works (Please, please, please! like James Brown)
7. If all good here, I am going to follow path for Web drivers for my 780 GTX! (can't hurt to stick to the script from here on out)
8. Disable onboard video, fire up with no flags! (fingers crossed!!)

I may just try one interim step and enable onboard audio with Voodoo still loaded and see if it picks up any additional working audio devices; it's worth a shot at least. Because then I can at least test that audio works fine under Voodoo! :p

Good Day fellars,

DayDaemon,

Looks like you've done quite a bit of searching and found some promising leads. I checked my BIOS settings, and the audio selections are "enabled". By all means try the most recent plan of attack involving the voodoo kext, but honestly, I would suggest starting from scratch with the current multibeast and yosemite, getting your system up and running with the onboard graphics (sound should work at this point), and lastly dealing with your video card. It may seem like a hassle, but it may ultimately prove less of a headache trying to track down and solve the issue you are dealing with. Thats my .02 cents at this point. For what its worth, I had to start from scratch several times, but all in all it was worth it to have the stable system I have today.

nhat179,

I'm not familiar with your motherboard, and therefore can't say for sure why you still need the -x boot flag to reach the desktop. You may want to look at other builds with your motherboard or Asrock boards and see if there is something different/special that needs to be done for them.

As per the video card, emjay96 already laid out the best first step. Once you have downloaded and installed the web driver you need to make sure that the system will be working off that driver, you can follow the link emjay96 provided or follow the steps on page 1 of this thread (which are somewhat revisited on page 7 as well).

emjay96,

Thank you :thumbup:

Thanks DayDaemon,

I feel like I've fallen short of helping you out without total reconstruction of the install, and for that I am sorry. Please let me know if the procedure you found works, I'll be pulling for ya :thumbup:

I remember reading somewhere that multibeast doesn't necessarily remove old kexts (say if you had used a previous multibeast for the initial install of audio, then used a newer one, you may have both). You may find some success in finding and removing the kext, then reinstalling the audio driver with multibeast. This is the last thing I can think of to make it a simple fix.

I do believe, if your process or the kext removal/driver reinstall doesn't work, that a fresh install of everything will solve the problem and leave you a happy camper.

I'll be at work here shortly but my job allows for personal thought time, and I'll keep this on a front burner. If I have any other idea's I'll be sure to share them. In the meantime I hope you find a fix and don't need them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back