Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Spballer's Build: GA-Z97X-GAMING-GT / i7-4790k / Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 SC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of system definitions, wouldn't iMac15,1 be a closer match based on CPU? The BTO version uses the i7-4970k.

Or am I totally misunderstanding the point of system definitions?

BTW, my system is very similar and it took me AGES to get it going. Still probably not perfect.. I opted to go with Clover so that I could use FaceTime/iMessages only to find out that it was currently impossible anyway :p In fact I bought this whole new system based on that premise :p

RESPECT on your guide. I wish I could have forced myself to take the time to document what I was doing so that others could benefit.

Regards,
Michal

FYI, I just tried installing HWSensors by putting its kexts in my Clover kext directory.

Epic fail. I got OsxAptioFixDrv error : requested memory exceeds our allocated relocation block.

After an hour of trying to fix the system I gave up and took the drive ou, stuck it in a USB enclosure and connected it to my Macbook Pro where I mounted the EFI partition and deleted the kexts.. Put it back in my Mackintosh and it booted fine.

Any ideas as to what may be causing this? Did you encounter a similar problem?

Regards,
Mcihal

2. also you mention the monitor, it seems like you first install it to motherboard if i remember it right. and then when u finish installing the system, you connect it to the video card, right? you use the vga to connect the monitor to video card,right? do u also do that when u connect the monitor to motherboard?

2.) Correct. The way this guide works is that we first do the system install via the internal graphics (video card disabled), so the monitor must be connected to the motherboard during the first part of the installation (operating system installation). After you have the operating system installed you can then download and install the web drivers for the video card, at which point you will disable the internal graphics and use the video card, requiring you to move the monitors' connection from the motherboard to the video card. Whether you use VGA/HDMI/DisplayPort/etc for the connection depends on your monitor. I used HDMI personally. Now that I have my new monitor I am using DisplayPort.

Apple does not support VGA connections in OS X, natively. Use DVI, HDMI or DisplayPort, but not the on-board VGA connection. If your monitor only has a VGA connection, get a DVI to VGA or HDMI to VGA adapter.

mihalski, thanks for your kind words on my thread here :) As per system definitions, I don't understand enough about what exactly they do for a certain hackintosh's performance to speak on it. It does look like the 15,1 definition is a closer match but my testing didn't show any system improvements under that or any others. In all honesty though, it's probably me not knowing what to do after loading a closer system definition to unlock greater performance or something, perhaps there are tweaks that need to be done, building of a DSDT or something.

As far as the HW sensors thing goes, I had some issue's with it as well and also had the same boot errors as you. When I reworked my build for the last time (the way that is shown in the guide) everything was corrected. I'm not 100% sure what the issue was since I just restarted from the beginning instead of trouble shooting that error.

Stork, thanks for detailing the information on VGA :thumbup: My old monitor has a VGA connecter (as well as the HDMI I used), but when I used that connection there was always an adaptor on the computer side. My apologies for forgetting this detail zhibolau!

soorb1977, I'm really happy to hear your system is up and running and glad this thread was of some assistance. Good call on the memory settings :headbang:

hi
thanks bro for ur detai reply!

1. for the code u want us to type. we just simply type and then hit enter,right?
for ur bios setting, unibeast and multibeast, i could simply set exactly the same as yours. and it should be find, right?

2.for the kext, could u specify the repair and permission thing? can i do that before the problem appears? the same question is for the working kext for the Killer E2200. can i copy the file before i install or the problem appears?

3. can i buy the sandisk extreme ssd? or samsung is better, sandisk could lead problems.

i am sorry for these stupid questions and troubles.

thank you so much.

Zhibolau, there are no stupid questions :)

1.) Correct, simply start typing, once finished hit enter. As for the rest of the settings, if you are using the same components or similar components then yes, you can use the exact same settings as I have shown.

2.) I just added that note for the possibility of it happening, as it had happened before in previous attempts of mine, it is not a guaranteed event. Basically, if after you add the kext a window pops up with an error you would then go to "applications" then "utilities " then "disk utility". Once in disk utility select your hard drive, after you have selected your hard drive click the "verify disk permissions" button, after that process has completed then click the "repair disk permissions" button. You can additionally run a program afterwards called "kext utility " which can be found in the downloads section on this forum, or by using this link.

3.) You most certainly can use the sandisk extreme, i went with the Samsung because it is a very high performing ssd, but it is also very expensive and may not be a proper choice for everyone (I more or less threw budget out the window for my build, not sure what you are working with). The sandisk would be just fine.

hi
thanks again for great help.

1. i am more video editing oriented. so may i use Intel Core i7-4930K Processor - BX80633I74930K? here is the link http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EMHM622/

will this cpu fit ur method?

2. for the video card, is there a big difference between urs and EVGA G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 770 DUAL SuperClocked 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card 04G-P4-3774-KR? here is the link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130945

is ur gpu good for video editing? or do u have any recommendation that will fit ur methods?

thank you so much

Hi Zhibolau,

1.) The CPU you have selected uses a different socket (2011) than mine, which in turn would mean a different motherboard. If I understand things correctly (and anyone can feel free to chime in and correct me if I'm wrong) socket 2011 CPU's usually use an X99 board, there are some X79 boards that use that socket as well. X99 is newer and you may find less resources available to help you with that build. I'm not sure if my build method would cover all the bases for a build with that motherboard/cpu, but a quick google search has turned up a few successful cases, so a build like that does seem possible.

2.) I'm not really sure about the video editing side of things, I've yet to do anything serious in that realm (just some very simple motorcycle ride video's, no major editing). Another quick google search brought up some comments that the 9 series cards outperform the 7 series cards in every aspect... HOWEVER, cuda still seems to be questionable with the 9 series cards on OSX, so if you really on CUDA during your editing you may actually benefit from a 7 series card AT THE MOMENT... when CUDA gets worked out for 9 series cards they will be a clear winner here as well. I personally would opt for the 9 series card.

EDIT: You may find it helpful to search this website for x99 builds and see what sort of progress people have made with them. Here is one link. I am sure you can find others as well.

Did you go with same graphics card as Spballer? Or did you go with a different one?

Almost identical. Only difference is that I did the ACX 2.0, which is just a different cooler. So in terms of actual GPU, yes, completely identical. And it's working completely thanks to his guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back