Contribute
Register

[Success!] Snbd889's Video Editing Build: Core i7-4790k - GA-Z97X-UD5H - 16GB CORSAIR VENGENANCE RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have them in slots 3 and 4, the black ones. the gray ones are what they recommend for optimization. i'll try that next.

i'm on day 3 or so of no kernel panics. and my bluetooth is running smoothly.

i'm not sure the computer is going to sleep, though. does some method exist by which i can check this? i think this weekend i'm going to try the ram in the other slots.

i'm on day 3 or so of no kernel panics. and my bluetooth is running smoothly.

i'm not sure the computer is going to sleep, though. does some method exist by which i can check this? i think this weekend i'm going to try the ram in the other slots.

I updated my BIOS to F9f...didn't help, got a crash sometime while I was sleeping. I've read a couple of accounts where that mentioned moving to G.Skill RAM that's on the motherboard's compatibility list helped with the freezes and crashes. I haven't experienced any freezes with the Ballistix sticks, but hopefully this new pair of G.Skill Ripjaws RAM solves it. They're ugly as hell, though.

i went several days, with my ram chips in bank 1 without any problems. on saturday, i moved the chips to bank 0. immediately after first boot, i had a kernel panic on a wake from sleep. i let things sit to see what would happen. i made it through this morning when i had another kernel panic. so i've moved the chips back to bank 1.

i'm going to let it run again and see what happens. i'm wondering if one of the ram banks is no good. then i'm wondering if i can sell my ram chips and get two 16b chips to run in bank 1.

thoughts?

I've read that turning off Turbo Boost in BIOS helps (manual overclocking is fine), but I still had a few resets over the weekend. I'll update you when my G.Skill RAM comes in...hopefully today.

Hello folks on this thread - I also have the Z97X-UD5H board (the BK Rev 1.0 version).

When I first installed using Clover and instructions from this forum I was getting random panics. I also experienced this on a build with a Z97X-SLI. I am not 100% sure what fixed it for me on both boards but I enabled the Dummy Load in both bios' (Power Loading), I also do not use any USB kext - everything works fine without it for me. Additionally like some previous posters who are using Clover I am using OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi rather than the original I used on my Z77X board.

One or a combination of these has left my machine running rock solid.

I do have some issues - I had to use the 2nd fix suggested by Toleda to get my sound to work after Sleep. I notice some on here have managed to get their ALC1150 working with no issues so maybe I will visit that again rather than use the reset tool.

I am using the WDN4800 wireless solution and all is fine except Airdrop does not work (even though System Information reports it as working).

Very useful thread - I will be back :thumbup:

i went several days, with my ram chips in bank 1 without any problems. on saturday, i moved the chips to bank 0. immediately after first boot, i had a kernel panic on a wake from sleep. i let things sit to see what would happen. i made it through this morning when i had another kernel panic. so i've moved the chips back to bank 1.

i'm going to let it run again and see what happens. i'm wondering if one of the ram banks is no good. then i'm wondering if i can sell my ram chips and get two 16b chips to run in bank 1.

thoughts?

How's your build going? I installed the G.Skill Ripjaws RAM on Friday night, and I have woken from a single panic yet. I'm starting to believe that the Crucial/Corsair sticks that tonymac's buyers guide suggests is the culprit.

How's your build going? I installed the G.Skill Ripjaws RAM on Friday night, and I have woken from a single panic yet. I'm starting to believe that the Crucial/Corsair sticks that tonymac's buyers guide suggests is the culprit.

thanks for asking. even with the ram back in bank 0, i'm having at least one overnight kernel panic a day. it doesn't make sense to me that it would work before without problem and now have a problem. i'll have to look in to the g.skill ripjaws ram. is that in the buyers guide? anything special about that i should know? are you running 16 or 32? 2 chips or 4?

thanks,

Hi.

I've been having similar occasional kp on my system with the latest versions of clover installed and Yosemite 10.10.0 to 10.10.2.

I have a very minimal system and similar config to this build, internal graphics and sound are disabled as i'm using a native mac ati gfx and a PCIE MOTU audio interface.

The KP seems to be coming from my ram (Corsair Dominator platinum 2400mhz 2x4gb in slot 1+3). The only way for me to stop the KP is to make sure my RAM is only using 1.5V and not 1.65V.

My board (Z97X UD5H rev 1.1 F8) will not let me manually control the voltage, but by disabling XMP and manually setting my speed i noticed that it automatically assigns the voltage. Up to 1600MHz will use 1.5V and from 1866 to 2400MHz it uses 1.65V. So naturally my solution was to set my RAM at 1600MHz 1.5V, since doing this i've not had a single KP in two weeks of heavy work load.

Although i'm happy the build is stable, it's a shame that I can't run my RAM at 2400MHz as I get much quicker geekbench scores :(. Hopefully this will help some people but it would be great to understand/fix why RAM won't work at 1.65V.

I'd like to add this is relevant for both clover and chimera, but not on windows. Windows runs fine with XMP enabled running at 2400MHz.

If anyone has their RAM running at 1.65V stable please let me know as this would blow my theory out the water. You can easily check in BIOS or by using HWmonitor.

EDIT: I have to use MacPro3,1 system definition since anything else (especially iMac) gives me KP while using certain websites in safari such as youtube and causes the system to become unresponsive at times. Again.. sad because I get much quicker geekbench scores with iMac 14,2 or 15,1 (best). :beachball:

Just to add one more thing. I have been testing the effects of using RAM in different slots and I can confirm using slot 1+3 is the fastest configuration I found. using 1+2 yielded -2000 points on geekbench multi compared with 1+3. I can't compare it to all four slots filled until i receive my other RAM chips in the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back