Contribute
Register

[Success!] Snbd889's Video Editing Build: Core i7-4790k - GA-Z97X-UD5H - 16GB CORSAIR VENGENANCE RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stork,

I, too, followed your instructions. my entire set up comes from the approved list, i assume that means it's all right. I modified the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file in Extra using textedit.

what should i look at to see if it makes a difference.

my bluetooth experience has been much smoother since i took out 2 ram chips.

i think the next test is tomorrow morning to see if i get a system reboot when i wake it up. i'd love any other ideas.

thank you for the help.

Hey Stork, I followed your instructions and I've checked off most things.

Memory should be on the motherboard's support list (memory and motherboard selected from Tonymac's buyers guide. Z97X-UD5H, 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tacital). PSU should be Haswell certified (Corsair RM650, recommended in Tonymac's guide)...
"Should be"? Did you confirm? Just because your memory manufacturer is from the Buyers Guide doesn't mean it's compatible - it has to be the same make & model # because some of the Crucial Ballistix Tactical model #s are not on the memory support list.

If your memory model is on the support list, we can eliminate the model # check. But, to make sure the memory is good, run Memtest86 for 12-14 hours. If the memtest86 run doesn't have any errors, take out 8GB and run your system for a couple of days. On some motherboards, 16GB of memory will cause freezing. Finally, make sure you're running the latest BIOS version on your motherboard.

The good news is that your PSU is Haswell "ready."

Good luck! :thumbup:

"Should be"? Did you confirm? Just because your memory manufacturer is from the Buyers Guide doesn't mean it's compatible - it has to be the same make & model # because some of the Crucial Ballistix Tactical model #s are not on the memory support list.

Well it's hard to tell, because the buyer's guide has two different models linked for the memory! It's extremely confusing. There's the Tactical Tracer link for Amazon, and then the standard Tactical link for Newegg. I bought from the provided Newegg link. Model BLT2K8G3D1608ET3LX0

As for the PSU, again I bought from the buyer's guide link, but when I google "Corsair RM650 haswell ready/certified" there's no concrete documentation (even from Corsairs site) that states the power supply unit is Haswell certified.

'Nuff said. :rolleyes:

Well, that's why I'm asking you guys. I checked both those links before asking you, and I said "should be" because your buyer's guide mentions those parts are the most compatible...but neither of the models you guys have listed under the "Ballistix Tactical" line are shown under the Gigabyte chart you linked. As for the PSU, when the official product page has information that conflicts with what's shown on the newegg spec sheet, you have some doubts.

But I guess I'll go screw myself for asking.

Well, that's why I'm asking you guys. I checked both those links before asking you, and I said "should be" because your buyer's guide mentions those parts are the most compatible...but neither of the models you guys have listed under the "Ballistix Tactical" line are shown under the Gigabyte chart you linked. As for the PSU, when the official product page has information that conflicts with what's shown on the newegg spec sheet, you have some doubts.

But I guess I'll go screw myself for asking.
Thank you for clarifying what you previous said about the Tactical memory. I will report your findings to tonymacx86, et-al.

I just checked on Crucial's website (http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ga-z97x-ud5h/CT5853108), and they claim that memory model is supported on the GA-Z97X-UD5H. (More information on Crucial's website for the Z97X-UD5H > http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for//ga-z97x-ud5h.) Consequently, the buyer needs to do his/her due diligence especially with all that's written on this forum about the "Haswell Freezes" and the causes.

One additional point on this subject, some folks have reported their freezes have stopped happening upon updating their BIOS to the latest version. So, there's a lot of factors at play here, just like the iMessage problem.

I found this page on the Corsair website on their Haswell compatible power supplies: http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/2013/may/haswell-compatibility-with-corsair-power-supplies

In another thread:
...I also fixed system frizzing by removing GenericUSBXCI.kext and changing System Definition from MacPro3,1 to iMac14,2...

Update: I've updated this post with more findings.

stork,

thank you for your work on this. this has been quite the experience. i, like mywhitenoise, relied on the buyer's guide and assumed it would be all right. i didn't know how tricky these things were. that's my fault.

after poking around, i agree that the corsair rm650 and the crucial ram are compatible with the mobo. but it wasn't easy to confirm that. and combined with my overall ignorance of not knowing i should have confirmed that, it was a steep learning curve.

after reading about the haswell psu issue, i wondered if that was my problem. but it described needing to turn off the power switch to get it to work again and i've never had that problem. i've only had rebooting upon wake from sleep.

so right now, i've got 2 ram chips, instead of 4, in the right place on the mobo. i'm not running chrome. and this morning when i woke it up, no reboot. i hope that's a positive sign.

if i can keep things stable for a couple of days, i'll move the ram chips to the other two slots to see if that creates instability.

again, thanks for your thoughts on this. keep them coming please,

Or, download the Memtest86 iso and create a bootable CD to test your 4 sticks overnight. :thumbup:

i need to try that again. i tried to create a bootable usb stick but failed. i don't know what i did wrong. i was in terminal following all the directions, but i couldn't get the box to boot from it. i'll try again. and i'll try with a cd, too.

i ran rember over night and didn't find anything, but that's not as good. the other possibility that's been floated is that the mobo may have a faulty ram slot. i don't know if the ram test would be able to show that.

thanks,

thanks for the follow up Stork, I've read that the latest BIOS beta update has alleviated some problematic builds, but I may hold out until it's officially released.

so right now, i've got 2 ram chips, instead of 4, in the right place on the mobo. i'm not running chrome. and this morning when i woke it up, no reboot. i hope that's a positive sign.

if i can keep things stable for a couple of days, i'll move the ram chips to the other two slots to see if that creates instability.

Which slots do you have your RAM in? I had them in the grey slots first (I believe Bank 1?), and switched them over to the black slots (bank 0) to see if that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back