Contribute
Register

[Success] Skylake Z170-A, i7-6700K, GTX 980 TI

Status
Not open for further replies.
cool. happy all worked out! :clap:

thanks for your feedback for the bluetooth dongle, will give it a look as I already have a magic mouse.

I just completed installing an ASUS GTX 970 STRIX. All working perfectly so far...

I also installed 4x 6TB WD Red Pro drives which I am combining as RAID 5 with SoftRaid 5 for maximum storage & speed at the moment :thumbup:

...then, let the daily testing begin

cheers

I have Audio on the blue port on the back (to be honest I haven't even tried the front or other ports as not needed for me at the moment).

just tried the front case headphone port, and it is working, if i select "headphone" as audio outptut in system prefs... whohooo so excited this thing works just in every possible way.. no kernels, no crashes, everything works just perfect so far!!

thanks again brumbaer for this excellent guide and tonymacx for the platform here with so much valuable info! :clap:

Joincoin, thank you for your posts. You have just convinced me to go ahead and build my first Hackintosh. I have used macs for years but like you am struggling to find a machine that fits my usage. I am going to go for a Skylake machine like yours. OSX with that hardware must fly!

Please keep your updates coming, I am soaking up the info :)

ok i've bought all of the parts including an M2 nvme SSD. but not the GFX. I'm waiting for the new Nvidia pascal gfx cards to come out.

do you think the 6700k integrated graphics would work fine?

ok i've bought all of the parts including an M2 nvme SSD. but not the GFX. I'm waiting for the new Nvidia pascal gfx cards to come out.

do you think the 6700k integrated graphics would work fine?

I'd just buy a cheap 960 and sell it when the Nvidia pascal card you want is released.

I'd just buy a cheap 960 and sell it when the Nvidia pascal card you want is released.

was thinking that too, but pascal is rumored to be released in 1.5 months.

hello fellas...

reporting back. everything still working as smooth as silk. no problems whatsoever, no crash, no kernel..

I have now further installed the Sonnet Tempo Plus 2x SSD PCI-E card with a Samsung 1TB SSD on it for Cache and temporary file handling. Again working flawlessly! No drivers required, plug and play. Amazing.

The transfer of all my data to the Softraid 5, RAID 5 config (4x 6TB WD Red Pro) is completed with checksums and now let the testing begin with actual heavy lifting work.

So far with my first tests, I can say this thing flies and handles everything much smoother than an upgraded 2009, 12-core 3.33 GHz Mac Pro with SM951 PCI-E SSD and 80GB of DDR3 EEC Memory in it. From the feel of it anyways, responsiveness, app switching, etc... of course my Customac will not compete in render times or simultaneous streams, but that was not what was slowing me down even on a late 2013 MBP i7.

I really needed the performance boost when handling multiple raw and tiff files in Lightroom and switching between them quickly. As mentioned earlier, and as others have written on pugetsystems, Adobe apps work much faster on 4-8 core desktop systems. No benefit of running 12 cores, let alone split up into two CPUs, which is actually counter-prductive for these apps.

I am really looking forward to feel how my machine handles everyday tasks and multiple computing apps simultaneously.. will let you guys know.

Hopefully, we will keep this thread alive, so things will be easier when OSX updates come along, as we are all rocking the same hardware..

Cheers

Thank you for sharing. I have similar system and wonder if it works?

my build:
MSI z170-A PC mate
i5 6670
GTX 960

Thanks.

I'm having a a very frustrating problem and I hope somebody already found a solution.

I'm using a logitech mouse with a Unifying reciever (m510) and I'm getting sporadic lagging.
I feel like it is tied to something that the system is doing thats causing the lag.

i tried a few different usb ports (front, back, usb 2) but the problem still happens. It seems to be happening in the bios too...

Any ideas?
maybe theres a bios setting i need to switch?
I'm stumped and quite frustrated :(

Thanks!

(I'm considering getting a magic trackpad but I mostly work with video editing and visual effects (Adobe CC) amd don't know if it will be a good experience with just a trackpad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back