Contribute
Register

[Success] Skylake Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, i5-6600, GTX 1070 (Clover/High Sierra)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@brennan.ruth0723 - Hi, this is an area in which my guide is now outdated - apologies - I'm now using AppleALC for my sound. There's now no need to add that DSDT edit to your config.plist.

To get ALC1150 sound working on your ASUS Ranger VIII motherboard use the following steps:

1. Download the latest 1.1.3.RELEASE.zip of AppleALC from here: https://github.com/vit9696/AppleALC/releases
EDIT: And also download the 1.1.6.RELEASE of Lilu.kext from here: https://github.com/vit9696/Lilu/releases
2. Unzip both files, and put the resulting AppleALC.kext & Lilu.kext in your Clover -> kexts -> Other folder
3. Add this edit to your config.plist:
Code:
<key>Devices</key>
<dict>
    <key>Audio</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Inject</key>
        <integer>1</integer>
    </dict>
</dict>
4. Onboard sound should now be enabled in macOS on next boot, provided you also have it enabled in your BIOS.

I'm neutral when it comes to using Clover Configurator - it does make things easier - but on the other hand, you're reliant on updates to the app when Clover gets new features added to it. Also, it adds quite a few keys to your config.plist that aren't needed. However, it's a very easy to use app, and I used it for a long time before I started manually editing my config.plist. I think the decision to use or not should be up to you.

Thanks @pbryanw ! I will give this a try. A couple things:

1. I got a Broadcom BCM94360CD Wifi/BT that I still need to set-up and I need to enable the onboard ethernet adpater on the ASUS MB, but I find that alot of the posts I search for are "older", so I never know what fixes to use. I guess it is a trial an error thing like I have been learning. Do you have a recommended fix(thread) for these items?

2. Also, should I do the FakeSMC fix? Any other recommended items? The only other thing would be my samsung MZ-75E1T0 SSD, I think it is working correctly.

I do have graphics card working now! Thanks for the help!

@brennan.ruth0723 - For 1. The Broadcom BCM94360CD Wifi/BT should work natively in macOS without any configuration needed. I use the same card for wifi, and I haven't needed to install any kexts or software to get it to work. For the onboard ethernet, you just need the IntelMausiEthernet.kext (attached to this post) and put it in your Clover -> kexts -> Other folder. More details on this kext are here.

For 2. I'm not sure what you mean by the FakeSMC fix? I would just use the latest version of Rehabman's branch of Kozlek's FakeSMC from here. I use FakeSMC.kext, along with FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext and FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext from Rehabman's bundle. And you shouldn't need any special fixes for your SSD - though you can put this in your config.plist to enable TRIM for your drive:
Code:
<key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>
<dict>
    <key>KextsToPatch</key>
    <array>
        <dict>
            <key>Comment</key>
            <string>Enable TRIM for SSD</string>
            <key>Disabled</key>
            <false/>
            <key>Find</key>
            <data>AEFQUExFIFNTRAA=</data>
            <key>Name</key>
            <string>com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIBlockStorage</string>
            <key>Replace</key>
            <data>AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=</data>
        </dict>
    </array>
</dict>
Or enter the command "sudo trimforce enable" in terminal if you don't want to make these edits to your config.plist.

Attachments

• IntelMausiEthernet.kext.zip
    47.4 KB · Views: 74
@brennan.ruth0723 - For 1. The Broadcom BCM94360CD Wifi/BT should work natively in macOS without any configuration needed. I use the same card for wifi, and I haven't needed to install any kexts or software to get it to work. For the onboard ethernet, you just need the IntelMausiEthernet.kext (attached to this post) and put it in your Clover -> kexts -> Other folder. More details on this kext are here.

For 2. I'm not sure what you mean by the FakeSMC fix? I would just use the latest version of Rehabman's branch of Kozlek's FakeSMC from here. I use FakeSMC.kext, along with FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext and FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext from Rehabman's bundle. And you shouldn't need any special fixes for your SSD - though you can put this in your config.plist to enable TRIM for your drive:
Code:
<key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>
<dict>
    <key>KextsToPatch</key>
    <array>
        <dict>
            <key>Comment</key>
            <string>Enable TRIM for SSD</string>
            <key>Disabled</key>
            <false/>
            <key>Find</key>
            <data>AEFQUExFIFNTRAA=</data>
            <key>Name</key>
            <string>com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIBlockStorage</string>
            <key>Replace</key>
            <data>AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=</data>
        </dict>
    </array>
</dict>
Or enter the command "sudo trimforce enable" in terminal if you don't want to make these edits to your config.plist.
@pbryanw Thanks! Got ethernet, sound(need to verify since sound over HDMI is not working), and SSD fix in! Thank you. I am assuming you put the FakeSMC kext's you mention in the other folder as well, right?

@brennan.ruth0723 - Hi, this is an area in which my guide is now outdated - apologies - I'm now using AppleALC for my sound. There's now no need to add that DSDT edit to your config.plist.

To get ALC1150 sound working on your ASUS Ranger VIII motherboard use the following steps:

1. Download the latest 1.1.3.RELEASE.zip of AppleALC from here: https://github.com/vit9696/AppleALC/releases
EDIT: And also download the 1.1.6.RELEASE of Lilu.kext from here: https://github.com/vit9696/Lilu/releases
2. Unzip both files, and put the resulting AppleALC.kext & Lilu.kext in your Clover -> kexts -> Other folder
3. Add this edit to your config.plist:
Code:
<key>Devices</key>
<dict>
    <key>Audio</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Inject</key>
        <integer>1</integer>
    </dict>
</dict>
4. Onboard sound should now be enabled in macOS on next boot, provided you also have it enabled in your BIOS.

I'm neutral when it comes to using Clover Configurator - it does make things easier - but on the other hand, you're reliant on updates to the app when Clover gets new features added to it. Also, it adds quite a few keys to your config.plist that aren't needed. However, it's a very easy to use app, and I used it for a long time before I started manually editing my config.plist. I think the decision to use or not should be up to you.
@pbryanw Quick confirmation, should I have added the code above to the file and left the existing code like it was orginally? So, what I am saying, the code above was already in my config.plist file, with the exception of <integer>1</integer>...it was <string>1<\string>. I just changed the string to integer. Here is what it looks like now.(See thumbnail)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-20 at 12.49.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-20 at 12.49.27 PM.png
    46.1 KB · Views: 101
@LiveRecords
So, everything looks like it will work - the only thing left is whether you can go back to your Skylake processor if it doesn't work out for some reason. So, if you buy your Kaby Lake processor from somewhere with a 30-day returns policy, that sounds perfect for testing. Everything I've seen says it should work, as long as you're using the latest Asus BIOS and running the latest macOS Sierra 10.12.6.

Hope this helps :thumbup:

Thanky you for reply.
I found, that i cant boot with new CPU to os X. I am not sure what os i had before.
Is it necessary to have Sierra 10.12.6 + ? Ive tried to reset bios to deafult and set everything like xHCI CSM atc.. and ill get stuck on boot, or restart still.

brennan.ruth0723 said:
@pbryanw Thanks! Got ethernet, sound(need to verify since sound over HDMI is not working), and SSD fix in! Thank you. I am assuming you put the FakeSMC kext's you mention in the other folder as well, right?
Yes, the FakeSMC kexts go in the Other folder too and, at least the FakeSMC.kext, is needed for macOS to boot. The other FakeSMC ones give you more information in the HWMonitor.app. HWMonitor.app should be bundled with the FakeSMC.kext.
@pbryanw One other thing, when I look at the hardware profile for bluetooth, nothing is listed. That is why I thought I needed to do some additional setup for the wifi card. Thanks for all your help.
Hi, that's interesting. Here is what my bluetooth profile looks like (see attached screenshot). I haven't added anything to my config.plist and no extra kexts or software have been added. I know with my Broadcom/wifi card, one thing I needed to do was connect a USB cable from the card to (edit) a fan header on the motherboard before the bluetooth would work (the cable can be seen in this picture). It might be something worth checking.
@pbryanw Quick confirmation, should I have added the code above to the file and left the existing code like it was orginally? So, what I am saying, the code above was already in my config.plist file, with the exception of <integer>1</integer>...it was <string>1<\string>. I just changed the string to integer. Here is what it looks like now.(See thumbnail)
Yes, I've checked and either string or integer should be fine - just add Lilu.kext and AppleALC.kext for onboard sound to work. I've also attached a picture of what your sound preferences should look like in macOS after this has been done (ignore the Audioengine device as it is just a USB sound card attached to my PC).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-20 at 22.18.59.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-20 at 22.18.59.png
    154.7 KB · Views: 113
  • Sound Preferences.png
    Sound Preferences.png
    68 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Thanky you for reply.
I found, that i cant boot with new CPU to os X. I am not sure what os i had before.
Is it necessary to have Sierra 10.12.6 + ? Ive tried to reset bios to deafult and set everything like xHCI CSM atc.. and ill get stuck on boot, or restart still.
Hi, yes I think it's necessary to have 10.12.6 for native support, according to this thread on tonymacx86. I'd also consider using an iMac 18,3 smbios in your config.plist as this Mac uses a similar Kaby Lake processor to your i7-7600k.

Also make sure your motherboard BIOS is up to date. And lastly, take a look this thread on Tonymacx86, as pastrychef has an i7-7700k working with a similar Asus Z170 motherboard (and this post in particular has some of the settings he's using).

Last edited:
Yes, the FakeSMC kexts go in the Other folder too and, at least the FakeSMC.kext, is needed for macOS to boot. The other FakeSMC ones give you more information in the HWMonitor.app. HWMonitor.app should be bundled with the FakeSMC.kext.

Hi, that's interesting. Here is what my bluetooth profile looks like (see attached screenshot). I haven't added anything to my config.plist and no extra kexts or software have been added. I know with my Broadcom/wifi card, one thing I needed to do was connect a USB cable from the card to (edit) a fan header on the motherboard before the bluetooth would work (the cable can be seen in this picture). It might be something worth checking.

Yes, I've checked and either string or integer should be fine - just add Lilu.kext and AppleALC.kext for onboard sound to work. I've also attached a picture of what your sound preferences should look like in macOS after this has been done (ignore the Audioengine device as it is just a USB sound card attached to my PC).
@pbryanw

Hello, I believe the wire is my problem. Going to plug that in, but ran into another issue.

I added the FakeSMC's into the Other folder and now I ran into an issue when booting. See log. Not sure what option to use to get passed this and be able to log in.

Attachments

• IMG_0518.JPG
    IMG_0518.JPG
    187.7 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0517.JPG
    IMG_0517.JPG
    176.3 KB · Views: 75
@pbryanw

Hello, I believe the wire is my problem. Going to plug that in, but ran into another issue.

I added the FakeSMC's into the Other folder and now I ran into an issue when booting. See log. Not sure what option to use to get passed this and be able to log in.

I just happened to read through the Mutlibeast notes and saw this:

*Please Note:
The FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext in FakeSMC Plugins v6.25-333-g05e0f4be.1759 is NOT compatible with NVIDIA Pascal graphics cards. If you do not delete it from /Library/Extensions your system will kernel panic on boot.

THis is what is happening on my machine, but unsure how to get around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back