Contribute
Register

[Success] Skylake Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, i5-6600, GTX 1070 (Clover/High Sierra)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Oliwers - Apologies for not noticing initially from your system description, but while your ASUS motherboard is hackintosh compatible, the fact you're using a Kaby Lake i7-7700k CPU might have caused some of the trouble you experienced. Support for Kaby Lake CPUs is due in macOS 10.12.6:

I suggest following this thread:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...cpus-200-series-motherboards-in-macos.219877/

And disregarding my last post for the time being, as it applies to my Skylake CPU.

Last edited:
Thank You! I have got MacOS on my PC!

@Oliwers - That's great! :thumbup: Might be worth writing up your build and installation process here on Tonymacx86 one day, as it sounds like it took a lot of work to get your Hackintosh working, and it might help others. Although, for now enjoy your new build, and macOS if this is your first experience of it :thumbup:

@Oliwers - Thanks for your well produced, informative video - I can feel your frustration at not being able to get macOS to install though.

I can't see anything too exotic with your system - all components should be hackintosh compatible. To start with I have created a generic EFI folder of my own, which you can use to see if it will boot with your macOS Install Drive. I have tested this EFI folder with my own Sierra flash drive and it works with no problems. I have attached the folder to this post.

A few other things which I'm not sure of from your video. In your motherboard settings, make sure the Bios is up-to-date and also configure these settings in the Bios Boot section:
  • Boot -> CSM (Compatibility Support Module) -> Launch CSM: Disabled
  • Boot -> Fast Boot: Disabled
  • Boot -> Secure Boot -> OS Type -> Other OS
  • Boot -> Secure Boot -> Secure Boot Mode: Disabled
Also, for your Sierra USB Flash drive, I usually create this by formatting a flash drive with Disk Utility in macOS (use macOS extended (Journaled) for the file system). Name your newly formatted drive, Untitled. Then use the following command in Terminal, to copy the Sierra installer to it (this assumes you have downloaded Sierra already):
Code:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app
After, this has finished copying, you can install Clover to this Sierra flash drive, or create a separate Clover flash drive for booting the Sierra installer. I usually go down the separates route. Then, when I want to start the install process, I press F8 on PC startup to get into boot drive menu, select my Clover drive, then use that to boot my Sierra installer.

If everything goes well, and you are able to install macOS Sierra, then we can work out how to install Nvidia drivers for your GTX 1060 (we need a black screen fix for this) and getting onboard sound working too. If everything doesn't go well, and macOS installation fails again, I suppose the best thing would be to start a thread on this Forum in The Build Forum, or Sierra Desktop Support. Let me know how you get on :thumbup:

@pbryanw - I been reading through your posts on your build and I have been having trouble figuring out how to disable the Secure Boot Mode as recommended above. I am using the Skylake processor, but none the less, need to disable this setting. It is grayed out. Do you have any insight on how to do this or can you point me to some documentation? Really appreciate it, been having issues getting my build off the ground.

@brennan.ruth0723 - Hi, after entering your BIOS and going into the Secure Boot section under Boot -> Secure Boot, you should see an menu option called >Key Management. Go into this and then select the option "Clear Secure Boot Keys". You might have to choose "Install Default Secure Boot Keys" first, before the option "Clear Secure Boot Keys" becomes available.

Now, if you go back to Boot -> Secure Boot, it should give the Secure Boot State as Disabled. I think, though, that Secure Boot can be left at BIOS defaults, without having to fully disable it (though I'm not sure on this).

The guide in my original post is a bit out of date at the moment, and I will be updating it for macOS High Sierra when it gets released, and when I have the time available.

Last edited:
@brennan.ruth0723 - Hi, after entering your BIOS and going into the Secure Boot section under Boot -> Secure Boot, you should see an menu option called >Key Management. Go into this and then select the option "Clear Secure Boot Keys". You might have to choose "Install Default Secure Boot Keys" first, before the option "Clear Secure Boot Keys" becomes available.

Now, if you go back to Boot -> Secure Boot, it should give the Secure Boot State as Disabled. I think, though, that Secure Boot can be left at BIOS defaults, without having to fully disable it (though I'm not sure on this).

The guide in my original post is a bit out of date at the moment, and I will be updating it for macOS High Sierra when it gets released, and when I have the time available.
@pbryanw Thank you, that did the trick. I am having issues using multibeast now, won't load any of the drivers. Gonna start another thread. Thanks for your help.

@LiveRecords - Hi, sorry for not getting back to you sooner - I've been having problems installing the latest High Sierra Beta :banghead:

Anyway, looking at this Asus document, if you have BIOS 2202 onwards you can use a Kaby Lake processor in your Maximus Ranger VIII motherboard.

This just leaves macOS, and according to this post by tonymacx86, macOS Sierra 10.12.6 has full support for Kaby Lake CPUs and Intel HD 630 graphics. I expect this support to continue in 10.13 High Sierra.

So, everything looks like it will work - the only thing left is whether you can go back to your Skylake processor if it doesn't work out for some reason. So, if you buy your Kaby Lake processor from somewhere with a 30-day returns policy, that sounds perfect for testing. Everything I've seen says it should work, as long as you're using the latest Asus BIOS and running the latest macOS Sierra 10.12.6.

Hope this helps :thumbup:

@pbryanw Quesiton for you. I had to reload my machine today due to many issues, which started with loading this sound fix you listed in your build(I am using the same motherboard, but w/ Skylake and Sierra)

upload_2017-8-19_10-39-15.png

I believe I messed up the config.plist file when adding this into the file. Should I be using a clover configurator to do this kind of stuff? Also, I could not find the realtekALC.kext file on the ling you provided, got a page not found. Could you share this kext with me?

@brennan.ruth0723 - Hi, this is an area in which my guide is now outdated - apologies - I'm now using AppleALC for my sound. There's now no need to add that DSDT edit to your config.plist.

To get ALC1150 sound working on your ASUS Ranger VIII motherboard use the following steps:

1. Download the latest 1.1.3.RELEASE.zip of AppleALC from here: https://github.com/vit9696/AppleALC/releases
EDIT: And also download the 1.1.6.RELEASE of Lilu.kext from here: https://github.com/vit9696/Lilu/releases
2. Unzip both files, and put the resulting AppleALC.kext & Lilu.kext in your Clover -> kexts -> Other folder
3. Add this edit to your config.plist:
Code:
<key>Devices</key>
<dict>
    <key>Audio</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Inject</key>
        <integer>1</integer>
    </dict>
</dict>
4. Onboard sound should now be enabled in macOS on next boot, provided you also have it enabled in your BIOS.

I'm neutral when it comes to using Clover Configurator - it does make things easier - but on the other hand, you're reliant on updates to the app when Clover gets new features added to it. Also, it adds quite a few keys to your config.plist that aren't needed. However, it's a very easy to use app, and I used it for a long time before I started manually editing my config.plist. I think the decision to use or not should be up to you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back