Contribute
Register

[Success] Skylake Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, i5-6600, GTX 1070 (Clover/High Sierra)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting - am currently running Sierra GM using a MacPro6,1 SMBIOS with no problems, but our motherboards & GPUs aren't exactly the same, and I don't know what cards & peripherals you're using with your Hackintosh. I suppose it's this kind of tinkering that's needed when working with a Hackintosh though, like having to use a MacPro6,1 SMBIOS because your wifi card works better with it :)

I suppose the good thing is you no longer have to worry about black screens on startup, and you can use the freqVectorsEdit script to get native CPU PM :thumbup:

@pbryanw I have similar hardware:
Asus Maximus VIII Ranger
Core i5 6600K
16GB (2x8) DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance
Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB G1 Gaming

I've used @pbryanw config.plist and kext, but without success.

I can't boot installer. I have always massage:

5297862IMG_20160618_174430.jpg

On haswell MSI Z87i and core i3 4130T El Capitan works fine.

@grzesiek811 - Hi, I've prepared a new config.plist which I've tested with my own Maximus VIII Ranger motherboard (it uses the iMac14,2 SMBIOS), and it has allowed me to boot into the Sierra Installer. I've attached it to this post.

As far as preparing the EFI partition on your USB drive, make sure that OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi (the 2 is important) is in your Clover-> drivers64UEFI folder and that "Install for UEFI booting only" and "Install Clover in the ESP" have been selected when installing Clover. Also, there doesn't need to be anything in your ACPI -> patched folder. And, in Kexts -> Other there only needs to be FakeSMC.kext (from here) and the latest version of USBInjectAll.kext (from here).

If this still doesn't work for you I can attach the working EFI folder, which works with the Sierra Installer on my PC, to another post.

Attachments

• config.plist
    3 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
After few days unequal struggle with El Capitan, still I've got no result. Still I can't boot El Capitan.
So I decide to try MacOS Sierra 10.12. I've prepared Sierra USB key with UniBeast and success! MacOS 10.12 Sierra is installed with no issues.

So, I have request. Can you share with me your config.plist, ACPI files and kexts for Sierra? You have very similar hardware as I, and everything should work great.

Last edited:
So, I have request. Can you share with me your config.plist, ACPI files and kexts for Sierra? You have very similar hardware as I, and everything should work great.
@grzesiek811 - Hi, glad to hear you have Sierra up & running. I've attached some kexts I use with my system to this post in a zip file - you can try and see if your Hackintosh works better with them or not. CodecCommander.kext is only needed if your audio doesn't work after resuming from sleep.

I attached my config.plist to my previous post if you still need it. As for ACPI files, if you're using an iMac14,2 SMBIOS, you don't need SSDT-1.aml. If you're not having any problems with sleep, you don't need DSDT.aml, and my SSDT-USB.aml is tailored for my USB configuration. For the sake of completeness though, and in the event they might help you, I've attached the files in my ACPI folder to this post as well.

Also check out toleda's Audio - Realtek ALC AppleHDA [Guide] thread - I recommend using the audio_cloverALC-120.command.zip to get the onboard sound working on your Hackintosh, if you haven't already done so.

Attachments

• Kexts.zip
    999.4 KB · Views: 126
  • ACPI.zip
    146.6 KB · Views: 116
@pbryanw many thanks for your help.
I had to add flag nv_disable=1 to boot with this config.plist. GTX 1060 is unsupported yet, so I have to wait.
Audio works with audio_cloverALC-120.command script.

Sleep not working. After coping SSDT.aml to ACPI -> patched folder in System preferences -> Energy Saver there appeared additional options, but sleep still not work. So I copied DSDT.aml and moment later SSDT-1.aml to ACPI -> patched folder. Unfortunately sleep still not work. When I go to sleep the screen goes black, and hard drives still working. After click mouse system back to desktop. In second time screen doesn't goes black, but only mouse pointer is motionless. After click mouse system back to desktop.

It is possible to working with GTX 1060 in windows and integrated HD530 in macOS Sierra without changing bios setting between system switching?

What is the difference between USBInjectAll.kext and GenericUSBXHCI.kext?
USBInjectAll.kext is for intel usb and GenericUSBXHCI.kext is for 3rd party usb like ASMedia USB 3.1?

@pbryanwUnfortunately sleep still not work. When I go to sleep the screen goes black, and hard drives still working. After click mouse system back to desktop. In second time screen doesn't goes black, but only mouse pointer is motionless. After click mouse system back to desktop.
@grzesiek811 - Hi, unfortunately I think this is because your GT X1060 is not supported in macOS yet. If I use the nv_disable=1 flag with my GTX 970, my Hackintosh also doesn't go to sleep properly. You could try disabling the GTX 1060 in your bios and using your HD530 onboard GPU (see the guide here) - edit: also see you can enable HD530 graphics using the new Multibeast 9.0
It is possible to working with GTX 1060 in windows and integrated HD530 in macOS Sierra without changing bios setting between system switching?
Hi, the only way I've seen this can be done is by disabling the GTX 1060 in your DSDT. However, I've only read about how this can be done on Laptops, and not Desktop systems. I'm not sure if it's possible on a desktop PC? The thread about it can be found here - it seems quite technical to me though. I've also attached a newer DSDT.aml to this post. It's been updated for use with the Ranger VIII Motherboard Bios v2202 (recommend updating your bios using the ASUS web-site, if you haven't already done so).
What is the difference between USBInjectAll.kext and GenericUSBXHCI.kext?
USBInjectAll.kext is for intel usb and GenericUSBXHCI.kext is for 3rd party usb like ASMedia USB 3.1?
Hi, I'm beginning to think that maybe the Ranger VIII motherboard doesn't need the USBInjectAll.kext to work - it's used for USB port injection (I found a good explanation here). I'll try using macOS without it and report back (Edit: tried running without it, and this caused some of my USB ports to stop functioning - all of the USB3.0 ones basically). The GenericUSBXHCI.kext, as far as I know, is only used to get the ASMedia USB 3.1 port working on the Ranger VIII.

Attachments

• DSDT.aml
    142.7 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Hi man, i'm following your post since the beginning, i'm now running a hackintosh with almost the same build, i have the 6600k, but same mobo.
The system is running quite well, no issue, no crash, audio working, displayport working... I never made a SSDT file and i never made a DSDT file....

I updated my system definition to 14.2 with no changes on performance, but i'm stuck updating to sierra.... I tried the direct update with clover, but the booting, gives me a kernel panic... What method did you used?

I explained my situation here, with a screenshot attached, https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...erra-using-clover.201465/page-85#post-1347234

Is this issues related to my missing ssdt and dsdt? What can i try?

UPDATE
I managed to install sierra using the multibeast bootable usb, and just upgraded my system. Then i had to swap the efi partition on the twi disk, et voila...
All worked at the first try...

Now, btw i have bad graphical issue... Lines, flickering ecc... It seems like a hd530 graphic problem.. What can be the cause of this? Sierra is less optimized for the hd530? How can i proceed?

Last edited:
How did you get the computer to sleep I could not get my computer to stay asleep it always immediately wakes back up. I have a 980ti and a 6700k

How did you get the computer to sleep I could not get my computer to stay asleep it always immediately wakes back up. I have a 980ti and a 6700k
Often it's problematic USB device. Search in system logs for term "Wake reason".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back