Contribute
Register

[Success] Skylake Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, i5-6600, GTX 1070 (Clover/High Sierra)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct? So anytime I make changes to the EFI folder, I should copy to my USB stick.
Hi, yes you can just delete the EFI folder from your USB stick, then copy the one from the macOS EFI partition to update the one on the USB Stick. Also, if you've updated Clover on your EFI partition using the installer from sourceforge, copying it across should be enough to update the version on your USB Stick to match the one on your EFI partition, so you don't have to run the installer twice.

I wouldn't copy it across every time you make changes to the EFI partition though, as your Clover folder can change quickly and often. Just every once in a while to keep it up to date with your latest edits/new kexts. Then, as long as you can boot macOS from it, so it will work as a backup in case you ever mess up your working Clover folder, that should be good enough.

Last edited:
Hello,

I am have problems with the Maximus viii ranger for my brother.
After making a HS usb stick, I can boot the clover but when I try to start the installer I just get a black screen.

If is use the vebose mode, I just get ++++++++++++++++++, and it hangs on this no error.

Any one have a idea, below ar the specs of his Computer

Asus Maximus viii ranger
I7 6700
Asus 1080 strix
Intel p600 512gb

@nextria - Hi, can you try replacing the EFI folder on your USB Stick with the one attached to this post (I've tested this with my High Sierra Install USB drive and it seems to work). Also, how are you running the installer - from an existing installation, or from a separate USB drive?

If you can boot into the installer with this EFI folder - and complete the installation - then we can work on getting the Nvidia web drivers to work - this involves making a few changes to config.plist which are necessary to get them working correctly in High Sierra.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    16.8 MB · Views: 136
@nextria - Hi, can you try replacing the EFI folder on your USB Stick with the one attached to this post (I've tested this with my High Sierra Install USB drive and it seems to work). Also, how are you running the installer - from an existing installation, or from a separate USB drive?

If you can boot into the installer with this EFI folder - and complete the installation - then we can work on getting the Nvidia web drivers to work - this involves making a few changes to config.plist which are necessary to get them working correctly in High Sierra.

Hello pbryanw thank you, I don't know when I will go to my brother again but I will test this and come back with a result.

@nextria - That's fine - thanks for the update - let me know if you're able to boot into the installer this time round or, if not, what error message you get instead. :thumbup:

Update: If you get an error message when you start the installation process, you may need to delete EmuVariableUefi-64.efi from EFI\Clover\drivers64UEFI in my EFI folder.

Last edited:
Guide updated for High Sierra :thumbup:

Hi, just an update for other owners of my motherboard (Asus Maximus VIII Ranger). On 12th January 2018, a new BIOS was released that included "Updated Intel CPU microcode." in its changelog.

I'm speculating a bit, but I'm guessing this could be code to mitigate the newly discovered Spectre vulnerability, which is found in all Intel CPUs. So it's worth updating to this new BIOS (v3703) if you haven't already. Link here: https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/MAXIMUS-VIII-RANGER/HelpDesk_BIOS/ :thumbup:

@LiveRecords - I found the information in this Eurogamer article which, though mainly about how gaming performance is affected, gives an overview of the Meltdown & Spectre exploits (quote follows):
Both of these updates [Meltdown & Spectre] have the potential to slow your PC down, but the good news here is that the overall impact measured so far in many benchmarks is in the two to three per cent range, with only storage IO on very fast devices (like NVMe solid state drives) showing noticeable performance degradation. It's a different ballgame in the enterprise sector, with CPU virtualisation clearly being affected significantly - as seen on Epic's Fortnight servers.
From what I've read, if you have a modern CPU (Skylake or newer), running a modern OS like Windows 10 (or macOS 10.13 ;)), your performance should hardly be affected.

I’m guessing the fact this is the first Ranger VIII BIOS release since last August, and it’s release so close to these exploits, means it includes Spectre mitigations for Intel CPUs.

OSes can be patched against Meltdown, and CPUs similarly for Spectre, but CPUs will still be vulnerable to Spectre for some time to come, even with these motherboard patches. In the case of Spectre it just makes it harder to exploit. The main thing is not to let Malware get on your machine, which might possibly be able to exploit them, and I'm sure if we can build hackintoshes, we can do this! :thumbup:

(Another good read on the subject from Ars Technica)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back