ATI 4870 Mac edition
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Tyler62's Build: ASUS PT6 - i7-920 - ATI Radeon 4870

Components

Intel Core i7-920 Processor (second hand)

Asus P6T Motherboard (first edition / second hand)

Corsair 4 x 2GB Memory, XMS 3 @1666 MHz (unbuffered and not ECC / second hand)

Corsair VS550 550W (brand new)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LMBWSI8/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Antec Case unknown model (second hand).

Already Owned

ATI Radeon 4870 Mac Edition (i.e., with an Apple EFI already in its BIOS so you get the Apple logo at start up / coming from my Mac pro),

Western Digital 650 GB HDD SATA 2.0 Hard Disk Drive (coming from my Mac pro as well),

Comments

Hey, my name is Tyler, and I live in France. Sorry for my poor English. Hope you can get my words though.

Just found out the tonymacx86 website on late 2016. I’ve decided on early 2017 to build a new computer with hardware coming from my Mac Pro 4,1 (now upgraded to 5,1 on both firmware and hardware) + second hand and brand new PC stuff.

This is my first attempt on building a Hackintosh… After three weeks of struggle, it finally works ! Here’s the whole story.

Install method

El Capitan is… epic fail !

I’ve first installed Windows 7 to check the hardware integrity especially for second hand stuff. I’ve tested all the RAM modules with Memtest. Everything looked ok so it was time for the hackintosh operation.

My first intention was to use El Capitan (my home studio sound cards are not compatible with Sierra). But no success. Always had the « essentials.pkg » error during the install. I tried lots of different boot flags, made the bootable usb stick again… But definitely nothing worked.

After some search on the web, I found out it could come from the Corsair modules. One week later, I grabbed a Samsung DDR3 compatible module but as it was only 1GB, the install refused to start… Problem still unsolved !!!

Last night, Sierra saved my life

So, I’ve decided to make a Sierra bootable USB stick with my Mac Pro. I’ve injected the ATI drivers for the ATI 4870 be recognized. Simply followed the different steps here on tonymacx86, ie made a bootable USB in Legacy mode with UniBeast (for Sierra) and copied MultiBeast (for Sierra, too) as well for post-installation.

Tweaking the BIOS was quite easy as I only had to be careful about AHCI mode for SATA and disable the Intel virtualization. So far, so good.

Install with Sierra was successful at first try, without any boot flags or so… Can’t tell you how happy I was to get Mac OS desktop on screen !

Post-Install

it’s alive and it makes noise !!!

Post-install was very easy as well to be honest. Here are the parameters I used in MultiBeast. Just had to check in my motherboard’s manual to get the exact reference of the LAN chip.

MultiBeast Configuration - 2017-04-01 06:53:04

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Quick Start > Legacy Boot Mode

Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC v6.21-311-g2958f55.1723

Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC Plugins v6.21-311-g2958f55.1723

Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC HWMonitor Application v6.21-311-g2958f55.1723

Drivers > Misc > NullCPUPowerManagement v1.0.0d2

Drivers > Network > Realtek > RealtekRTL8111 v2.0.0

Bootloaders > Clover v2.3k r3766 Legacy Boot Mode

Customize > System Definitions > Mac Pro > Mac Pro 5,1

Customize > SSDT Options > Sandy Bridge Core i7

Drivers > Graphics > Inject ATI

After clicking on « build » and restart, everything was working as expected (LAN, USB 2.0, etc.) except audio. In system preferences, no output and no input. Headache was back again because I could not see the reference of my audio chip anywhere in MultiBeast.

After a quick search in tonymacx86 forum, I grabbed the « audio_cloverALC-120_v1.0f1.command » file and the « EFI mounter v3 ». After having launched the EFI mounter, I clicked on the audio_cloverALC-120_v1.0f1.command file to inject the audio drivers. Then, restart and the audio was fixed ! Shut down, restart and sleep worked as well. Hell YEAH !!!! Now I have a fully working hackintosh made with some old stuff !

Good operation because I invested 205 € to build a 690 € estimated Mac pro-like machine (estimation based on mac2sell website).

RAM, are you there ?

I’ve been using a Mac for more than a decade so I was a bit curious to check the system report on my brand new fake Mac. Even if I’ve injected a fake Mac Pro 5,1 in MultiBeast, the computer is recognized as an iMac… And I can only use 5 DIMMS max whereas my motherboard has 6 DIMMS. Maybe the motherboard I bought second hand is ****ed up in a way or so. Weird thing is I have 8 GB of RAM usable in Mac OS but only 6 GB in the mobo BIOS settings. In the system report, the RAM is DDR3 - 1333 MhZ – ECC whereas in reality, it’s DDR3 – 1066 Mhz – non ECC. Anyway, it works perfectly so never mind!

Conclusion

Big thank you to tonymacx86 community for all !!!! YOU GUYS ROCK !

Hope my experience will help someone with the same configuration J

Very good I will Try Today

I got the same exact system, but cannot manage to get USB drive to work proberly, it boots to disk menu right about fine, but there are no installation USB, just my internal drives. Weirdest thing is - I am actually booting from USB, so how come bootloader could not see the drive it is standing on? Soooo confused

*update*
I literally tried everything, tried clover block io options, tried unplugging all my hard drives, peripheria,(such as FW cards, third party sata controllers etc) switched usb ports, tried another usb stick, played with bios settings a little, result is still the same - bootable usb stick refuse to show at the clover boot menu. Need some help here, guys...

Ok, so week passed and I finally managed to get it actually working, it was a tricky son of a guy though. Here is my process:(goes for 10.13.3)

prepare 2 separate usb sticks
put Clover on one of them
put installer into another one
boot from Clover, chose installer
run trough installation procedure
pc will reboot, you are now may have to put Ethernet kext on clover drive because sucker wont go trough installation process w/o Ethernet(depends on your luck)
reboot to installed system
run MultiBeast
chose only legacy mode, system def, Ethernet
install audio fix via script (ALC888command attached in the post)
install driver for video
run Clover Configurator, check shutdown fix
apply AppleAHCIPort.kext attached in the post for drives fix(some of your drives may not show because of lack of proper kext because apple started to remove code for ICH10/ICH10R controller)

It sounds really simple, BUT don't be fooled IT IS NOT, there is a whole lot of freakin nonsense; i.e., you only need to apply Ethernet kext AFTER you get trough initial installation of the base system. if you apply one right out, you'll get crossed out circle sign. And if you wont do it after you wont be able to go trough restore to your hdd because restoration utility wont let you go since it is working only with internet access on.
Procedure is tricky as f, i spend whole day figuring out the details, and I am not a novice, this stuff is buggy as f

All things working EXCEPT sleep, sleep is in some weird stage when it is working, but it may fail you from time to time, like you are trying to bring machine back up after a few days, and it wont. Fans spinning, hdd's spinning, lights flashing, no picture, no nothing-only way to shutdown.
I'll try to disable hibernation in attempt to fix it later, it may help, it may not.

Attachments

• AppleAHCIPort.kext.zip
    52.2 KB · Views: 307
  • ALC888 CHOSE LEGACY MODE.command.zip
    10.2 KB · Views: 282
Thanks to Tyler62 for the guide & all here on Tonymac, AGAIN! After several fails with El Cap & High Sierra, I finally have Sierra fully working on an Asus P6T / X980 (showing 3.6 OC) / 24gb ram / Gigabyte Geforce GT 630.

Hello! I try today the system installer boot but I don't have keyboard and mouse...
Keyboard and mouse has connected on USB ports, and I try all the ports.
how to do ?
Thanks you very much for answer.

Yes!
I have Sierra!

P6T
i930
3*2gb ddr3
GTX470

Attachments

• D9D16AC7-62FC-4744-B57E-A9E6F463A8C8.jpeg
    D9D16AC7-62FC-4744-B57E-A9E6F463A8C8.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 483
I followed your guide for my own Asus p6t:

Intel Core Xeon w3690 (from ebay 90$)
Asus P6T Motherboard (first edition / original owner purchased a long time ago)
Samsung 3 x 2GB Memory, and Patriot 3 x 2GB (unbuffered and not ECC / second hand)
AMD 5870 video card
Antec Case, Corsair power supply

It worked perfect. The only change that I made was not injecting the ATI drivers for old graphics cards. Thanks a zillion for sharing your results. Updated to 10.12.6 all working...awesome! Working hackintosh!
asus p6t.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back