Contribute
Register

Success - Sierra + Kaby Lake i7 7700k + ASRock Z270 Extreme 4 + G.Skill 32GB ddr4-2400 + GTX 980

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, so thanks to this guide and the forums, I'm currently up and running with Sierra on my H270N-Wifi. I haven't tried everything to make sure I have patches and kexts up and running, but my main question is... Can I use the onboard wifi/bluetooth controller with any potential patch/kext/hack? I know others have used other adapters and hardware in the build guide, but I need the m.2 port for my Windows install on a Crucial MX300. Any suggestions?

Your mobo has an Intel AC wifi which is not supported, BUT it's easy to replace it with a compatible one.
Check this thread for the best "m.2" solution so far:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...dapter-handoff-unlock-with-watch-uefi.215895/

... and just FYI :) The m.2 slot of the wifi is called key A or E and not compatible with key M which is for SSDs.

Haha, thanks borob. I think I'll do Ethernet for now, and thanks for clearing that up on the M.2 keys. Is there any guesses on if/when Intel AC wifi could be supported? Ever?

Gotcha. Looks like another fun project then. I think I have everything almost completely up and running on the mac side of things how I want (Ethernet, audio out through SPDIF, etc) but I'm not getting options for 4k output when it's plugged directly in my TV. Boot screen and clover bootloader shows as 2160p, but it drops back down to 1080p and doesn't give me any options in displays when it gets booted up completely. What am I missing?

Gotcha. Looks like another fun project then. I think I have everything almost completely up and running on the mac side of things how I want (Ethernet, audio out through SPDIF, etc) but I'm not getting options for 4k output when it's plugged directly in my TV. Boot screen and clover bootloader shows as 2160p, but it drops back down to 1080p and doesn't give me any options in displays when it gets booted up completely. What am I missing?

If you are using the integrated Intel HD graphics then it's possible that during boot your TV gets 4K@30Hz, but then at the OS it switches back to 1080P@60Hz. Check if you can force it to 30Hz at the display preferences, although there will be a noticable difference in picture quality (due to the halved refresh rate).
Sadly most motherboards are still shipping with HDMI 1.4 interfaces instead of 2.0 which is required for 4K@60Hz.
Maybe they are not rushing because Displayport 1.2 can handle it without a problem.

From Gigabyte site:
2 x HDMI ports, supporting a maximum resolution of 4096x2160@24 Hz

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-28 at 23.15.35.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-28 at 23.15.35.png
    60.9 KB · Views: 166
I was able to boot into Sierra initially following this guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...erra-on-200-series-kabylake-processor.218494/

I was a little hesitant following this guide because he was going for the onboard graphics solution. So I wasn't sure which settings to omit. Anyway, after the first reboot I get this...

Sorry for my absence the last little while. I was moving to a different location and hadn't the time or the computers available to get on and check these messages. Did you ever get past this issue?

Thank you Delphius and everybody involved in this project. This motherboard+kaby lake work quite well. USB3, sound... It wasn't easiest thing to do as my first build without exact step by step guide for this motherboard but not that hard either. Hardest was to define what to select/disable/enable in BIOS and figure out why it boots from USB+HDD but not from HDD directly (because you need to repeat all patches for HDD boot loader and not only the last group mentioned in the guide Delphius used).

What doesn't work for me now is sleep mode. After some hours of sleep computer just reboots with data lost.

MultiBeast wasn't worked for me after installing OS but Clover Configurator is good way to go and you need to repeat all early steps you did for USB dongle setup like all ACPI –> DSDT–> Patches etc for main HDD loader.

With the sleep mode problem, are you using iGPU? I dont think there is a fix yet for sleep mode with iGPU yet but I would be interested in finding out if there is an update.

A note on multibeast that I found useful, try right mouse clicking the application and selecting Show Package Contents. You can navigate to the resources directly where all of the raw install files are located. I usually install things this way instead. One thing I noticed as well, sometimes multibeast will fail to work if it cant mount the EFI properly. If you go into Clover configurator and mount the EFI first before trying to load any multibeast drivers it will usually guarantee they will work.

Thanks to everyone who is keeping this thread alive. I am back to a grounded state where I am able to be productive again. I am also in the studio more, so I have access to both of my Hackintosh's to be more readily available to answer questions.

Thanks, Delphius. That looks like our new editing system setup. We might use TB 3 down the road. Did you get a chance to test it in the meantime?

Thanks, Delphius. That looks like our new editing system setup. We might use TB 3 down the road. Did you get a chance to test it in the meantime?

So far, I am loving it for audio production purposes. I haven't even overclocked it yet, and everything is running buttery smooth. I have plans to also use it for photo / video as well.

So far, I haven't had the chance to try out the TB3 but I wouldn't mind putting this on the list of things to do soon. The expansion card isn't too expensive, and it would be nice to have even for the Frewire support. The only problem is I don't have any TB3 peripherals to test. But, for the sake of testing purposes I'm sure I could borrow something from a friend. It would be nice to know if it is an option or not in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back