Contribute
Register

Success - Sierra + Kaby Lake i7 7700k + ASRock Z270 Extreme 4 + G.Skill 32GB ddr4-2400 + GTX 980

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great stuff here everybody, I'm getting ready to tackle my first build and will definitely be spending a lot of time with this thread to get everything off the ground.

I'm building an i5-7400 on a Gigabyte H270-Wifi, with a GTX 1060 + 16gb 2400 Ripjaws V. All of this in a Cooler Master Elite 110 case, so I think it'll be interesting. I have most of my parts coming in later this week, but is there any words of wisdom before I start building? I'm going to get Windows on first and then start Hacking. Thanks!
Looks like a good build. I find it really odd that there is no discernible difference between the GA-H270N-WIFI and GA-Z270N-WIFI. Is the only difference memory support? Are you going with the stock cooler on the i5-7400? Do you know which GTX 1060 you are going with?

Thanks fliptwister. From what I could tell, both boards would have virtually the same benefits except expanded XMP profiles with the Z270. I think DDR4 2400 will be plenty for what I'm building (mainly HTPC/gaming/potential Logic rig) with good audio for about $50 less than the Z270N. I'm planning on getting the EVGA GTX 1060 SC (6Gb) edition, and will probably be modding that side of the case for better GPU airflow. I'm not sure on CPU cooling yet, but part of why I went with the 7400 is cooler temps, and I got a steal on it for $150 last week.

Sounds good! Let us know if you run into anything. Myself and many others are usually pretty quick and happy to help.

I was able to boot into Sierra initially following a guide on another site. I was a little hesitant following this guide because he was going for the onboard graphics solution. So I wasn't sure which settings to omit. Anyway, after the first reboot I get this...

Attachments

• IMG_0249.JPG
    IMG_0249.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 117
I tried both command + R and booting to recovery partition (by selecting it at clover menu). I was unable to get to recovery using either method.

I changed to 14,2 and all is good. If I can ever figure out how to get to recovery I may go back to 16,2.

Did you try to boot with -x (safe mode) or with the nv_disable=1 boot argument?
You can add these at clover boot, in the options. Or just select the Sierra partition, press the space bar, then select from the "dropdown" menu.

Did you try to boot with -x (safe mode) or with the nv_disable=1 boot argument?
You can add these at clover boot, in the options. Or just select the Sierra partition, press the space bar, then select from the "dropdown" menu.
I added FakeSMC.kext to the other folder and was able to go into recovery. I was then able to disable SIP. Is it worth going back to 16,2? Does this have any advantages or improvements to performance?

I was able to boot into Sierra initially following a guide on another site. I was a little hesitant following this guide because he was going for the onboard graphics solution. So I wasn't sure which settings to omit. Anyway, after the first reboot I get this...

Did you use Clover Configurator to configure your UniBeast USB flash drive as explained in guide? Did you Enter Fake ID For the Kaby Lake Processors 0x0506E3? After Sierra installed and rebooted did you still use USB flash drive to get into Sierra? Is the flash drive attached to a USB 2.0 port? Is "nv_disable=1" in boot arg?

Thank you Delphius and everybody involved in this project. This motherboard+kaby lake work quite well. USB3, sound... It wasn't easiest thing to do as my first build without exact step by step guide for this motherboard but not that hard either. Hardest was to define what to select/disable/enable in BIOS and figure out why it boots from USB+HDD but not from HDD directly (because you need to repeat all patches for HDD boot loader and not only the last group mentioned in the guide Delphius used).

What doesn't work for me now is sleep mode. After some hours of sleep computer just reboots with data lost.

MultiBeast wasn't worked for me after installing OS but Clover Configurator is good way to go and you need to repeat all early steps you did for USB dongle setup like all ACPI –> DSDT–> Patches etc for main HDD loader.

Last edited:
I added FakeSMC.kext to the other folder and was able to go into recovery. I was then able to disable SIP. Is it worth going back to 16,2? Does this have any advantages or improvements to performance?

Ah, ok then. :)
About 17,1, don't really know, never really tested the differences just chosed it because it was the closest to my config.
With my previous Z77-3770S build there were differences between the definitions, like cpu power management, etc, but with this build it just worked with 16 and 14 as well, so because I couldn't find any problems (aside the black screen) I went with the 17,1.
It's possible there are some performance differences, but it shouldn't be too much.

Wow, look really good. In my opinion thise graphic card 980 it's way too expensive for 2 years old tecnology :/

Anyway I'd like to get ur build in my room :p

Hey guys, so thanks to this guide and the forums, I'm currently up and running with Sierra on my H270N-Wifi. I haven't tried everything to make sure I have patches and kexts up and running, but my main question is... Can I use the onboard wifi/bluetooth controller with any potential patch/kext/hack? I know others have used other adapters and hardware in the build guide, but I need the m.2 port for my Windows install on a Crucial MX300. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back