Contribute
Register

Success - Sierra + Kaby Lake i7 7700k + ASRock Z270 Extreme 4 + G.Skill 32GB ddr4-2400 + GTX 980

Status
Not open for further replies.
Delphius or borob, Have you updated to 10.12.5? Any advise on how to do it with our setup?

I have had no problems with basic updates on any of my systems. I have updated my Sky Lake computer at home to 10.12.5 with no problems just by running basic apple store update. I have not done so with the Kabylake, but I feel confident it shouldnt have any issues when I do. I have gone from 10.12.3 to 10.12.4 on both computers without any issues. I think the only time you have to be concerned is with any major update, like going from 10.12.x to 10.13.x. But I have also seen people successful doing major updates without any issues as well.

Not yet, but as Delphius said, it should go smooth.
Since everything is injected by clover, I don't expect any problems.
The only thing that needs some fiddling is the nvme patching each time because of my boot drive.
The new plist for 10.12.5 is already up, so I don't expect any hiccups there either.
https://github.com/RehabMan/patch-nvme/blob/master/NVMe_patches_10_12_5.plist

edit: ...and the AGDPfix, of course. :)

Last edited:
Oh also I guess I should mention that you will have to update the nvidia web driver for the new update. I did not do this pre install of the update and everything worked out fine. After everything was booted again, I lost my graphics acceleration which worried me at first. Nvidia immediately prompted me for a drive update and everything worked perfectly after reboot.

Not yet, but as Delphius said, it should go smooth.
Since everything is injected by clover, I don't expect any problems.
The only thing that needs some fiddling is the nvme patching each time because of my boot drive.
The new plist for 10.12.5 is already up, so I don't expect any hiccups there either.
https://github.com/RehabMan/patch-nvme/blob/master/NVMe_patches_10_12_5.plist

edit: ...and the AGDPfix, of course. :)
Installed 10.12.5 and when I run AGDPfix I get the message about disabling SIP. Weird, that did not happen last time. I'm having difficulty booting into recovery mode to disable SIP. I press and hold down windows+R while booting and I do not go into recovery mode. Any help out there?

Installed 10.12.5 and when I run AGDPfix I get the message about disabling SIP. Weird, that did not happen last time. I'm having difficulty booting into recovery mode to disable SIP. I press and hold down windows+R while booting and I do not go into recovery mode. Any help out there?

I dont use the AGDPfix so I hadnt thought about this. I am using 14, 2 profile so I dont have to worry about the black boot screen.

You do not use standard boot hotkeys for doing recovery. The recovery partition is listed in the clover menu and just needs to be selected at startup. Heres a guide to disable SIP in the recovery terminal.

http://www.macworld.com/article/298...ystem-integrity-protection-in-el-capitan.html

Keep us updated on how things go after disabling SIP.

I dont use the AGDPfix so I hadnt thought about this. I am using 14, 2 profile so I dont have to worry about the black boot screen.

You do not use standard boot hotkeys for doing recovery. The recovery partition is listed in the clover menu and just needs to be selected at startup. Heres a guide to disable SIP in the recovery terminal.

http://www.macworld.com/article/298...ystem-integrity-protection-in-el-capitan.html

Keep us updated on how things go after disabling SIP.
I tried command+R and choosing the recovery partition and I was unable to get into recovery. Progress bar gets about 3/4 of the way and locks up. Are there any negatives running 14,2 versus 16,2?

I tried command+R and choosing the recovery partition and I was unable to get into recovery. Progress bar gets about 3/4 of the way and locks up. Are there any negatives running 14,2 versus 16,2?

I guess im not understanding what you mean by you tried command+R. You cannot use mac boot start up commands to boot recovery. You just select it in the boot clover menu. It needs to load through clover just the same as running Mac OS. Or are you referring to something different when using command+R?

I dont think there are any disadvantages from using 14, 2. It just wont show you with a iMac Skylake 2015 in the about page of Mac OS. I have had great results with 14, 2. However you should try running some comparative benchmarks if you try it just to verify.

I guess im not understanding what you mean by you tried command+R. You cannot use mac boot start up commands to boot recovery. You just select it in the boot clover menu. It needs to load through clover just the same as running Mac OS. Or are you referring to something different when using command+R?

I dont think there are any disadvantages from using 14, 2. It just wont show you with a iMac Skylake 2015 in the about page of Mac OS. I have had great results with 14, 2. However you should try running some comparative benchmarks if you try it just to verify.
I tried both command + R and booting to recovery partition (by selecting it at clover menu). I was unable to get to recovery using either method.

I changed to 14,2 and all is good. If I can ever figure out how to get to recovery I may go back to 16,2.

I tried both command + R and booting to recovery partition (by selecting it at clover menu). I was unable to get to recovery using either method.

I changed to 14,2 and all is good. If I can ever figure out how to get to recovery I may go back to 16,2.

Ah ok I see now. You might be able to get into recovery now as well. You could maybe try temporarily disabling nvidia as well. That may be conflicting with recovery when it gets 3/4 the way in to boot.

Great stuff here everybody, I'm getting ready to tackle my first build and will definitely be spending a lot of time with this thread to get everything off the ground.

I'm building an i5-7400 on a Gigabyte H270-Wifi, with a GTX 1060 + 16gb 2400 Ripjaws V. All of this in a Cooler Master Elite 110 case, so I think it'll be interesting. I have most of my parts coming in later this week, but is there any words of wisdom before I start building? I'm going to get Windows on first and then start Hacking. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back