Contribute
Register

Success - Sierra + Kaby Lake i7 7700k + ASRock Z270 Extreme 4 + G.Skill 32GB ddr4-2400 + GTX 980

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could not find an EFI partition on my windows drive do I decided to reinstall Windows 10. I have now reinstalled windows 10 twice. Both times I did not get an EFI partition. I'm not finding it in Clover Configuator and I'm not finding it with Diskpart in Windows recovery. The install has a 500 gb partition (not EFI) and the main partition. Both times I installed Windows 10 I did so with no other drives connected except Blu-ray optical drive. I originally installed Windows 10 build 1607 and the 2 re-installs I used the newest build 1703.

Is it possible that Windows 10 does not install EFI partition when installed on M.2 NVMe drive?

The good news is that the Samsung 960 EVO is now in boot options. Any ideas?

I could not find an EFI partition on my windows drive do I decided to reinstall Windows 10. I have now reinstalled windows 10 twice. Both times I did not get an EFI partition. I'm not finding it in Clover Configuator and I'm not finding it with Diskpart in Windows recovery. The install has a 500 gb partition (not EFI) and the main partition. Both times I installed Windows 10 I did so with no other drives connected except Blu-ray optical drive. I originally installed Windows 10 build 1607 and the 2 re-installs I used the newest build 1703.

Is it possible that Windows 10 does not install EFI partition when installed on M.2 NVMe drive?

The good news is that the Samsung 960 EVO is now in boot options. Any ideas?

That is very strange. Have you tried deleting all partitions on the windows drive then formatting? Usually on a clean drive it will ask you to create the files needed. The formatting needs to use a GPT table.

http://winaero.com/blog/install-windows-10-using-uefi-unified-extensible-firmware-interface/

Check and see if the EFI folder is on the root directory of the Windows partition. It may not be creating an EFI but installing it there anyway. Are you able to boot just fine with it? Is it recognized by clover? Its strange it shows up in your boot menu but not EFI partition can be found.

After doing some reading I figured out you have to install Windows 10 with the optical drive in it's UEFI mode. For some reason it does not do this automatically when installing from DVD at boot. I did this on the reinstall of Windows 10 and it now has EFI partition. I figured I would need to reinstall Clover after this when both drives were connected so I did this. When I boot to Clover now the Windows driver is there now but it hangs when I select Windows drive.

Any ideas?

After doing some reading I figured out you have to install Windows 10 with the optical drive in it's UEFI mode. For some reason it does not do this automatically when installing from DVD at boot. I did this on the reinstall of Windows 10 and it now has EFI partition. I figured I would need to reinstall Clover after this when both drives were connected so I did this. When I boot to Clover now the Windows driver is there now but it hangs when I select Windows drive.

Any ideas?

I had thought about mentioning the possibility of Win 10 installing in legacy mode, but I didnt assume this because I have never had it default to legacy myself. I have always just installed it straight without any issues. I think Borob might be right as well about needing to edit the entry point of the EFI.

I have seen some methods for fixing this around the internet. But usually they involve linux. Im not certain these are the same issues either, but its worth looking in to for helping understand how it works. Here is a guide that has an example of what im talking about,

http://lifehacker.com/5698205/how-to-triple-boot-your-hackintosh-with-windows-and-linux

Check out section 4. Like I said I have seen other guides out there with different technique and methods, but this might get you started on the right track. There may be ways of doing this in windows or sierra as well.

Any ideas?

Just found this in the Multi Boot Installation forums here on the site. There are a few more guides in this forum that might be helpful. This seemed directly related though.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ter-installed-os-x-clover-uefi-simple.182919/

Just finished my Kaby Lake build with a GTX 1070. I bought two Samsung 850 Evo's. One of which I have installed Windows 10. The other I'm saving for Sierra. I will most likely spend this weekend working on getting Sierra up and running on the other drive. Thanks for posting all the info on your success. I hope I can get some help along the way.

Delphius or borob, Have you updated to 10.12.5? Any advise on how to do it with our setup?

Just finished my Kaby Lake build with a GTX 1070. I bought two Samsung 850 Evo's. One of which I have installed Windows 10. The other I'm saving for Sierra. I will most likely spend this weekend working on getting Sierra up and running on the other drive. Thanks for posting all the info on your success. I hope I can get some help along the way.

Sounds good! Let us know if you run into anything. Myself and many others are usually pretty quick and happy to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back