Contribute
Register

Success - Sierra + Kaby Lake i7 7700k + ASRock Z270 Extreme 4 + G.Skill 32GB ddr4-2400 + GTX 980

Status
Not open for further replies.
So yes you were referring to something else I didn't know about! Again thanks for bringing it up.

I was about to go for 2x16GB at 3000 and to max capacity in the future (maybe I won't but it's nice to be able to). So now I'm checking the SS/DS column at the memory compatibility chart and I see some that would work, the ones marked with a "v". So all is not lost! :thumbup:

That should be totally ok and maybe even slightly easier until you upgrade to the i7. You should have to do any type of fakeCPU ID if you are using Skylake. I havnt tried a Skylake in a z270 board, but a Skylake in a z170 board is pretty straight forward. The GTX 970 is definitely a good choice in my opinion. You shouldnt have any issues except your standard learning curve for being your first time. There are alot of guides and people to help you along. Its not a difficult process overall, but I would expect some toubleshooting while you are learning the ropes. Its always best if you have a computer around that you can experiment with.
Thanks delphius for answering me. Can you tell me how to create a bootable usb for mac os? And how to set up bios? Will those settings affect my existing Windows os? I'm a beginner

Thanks delphius for answering me. Can you tell me how to create a bootable usb for mac os? And how to set up bios? Will those settings affect my existing Windows os? I'm a beginner

Use this guide to create the bootable USB for Mac OS installer.
http://osxdaily.com/2015/09/30/create-os-x-el-capitan-boot-install-drive/
There may be other third party and graphical ways to do this but they never worked as well for me as doing it in terminal.

You access the system bios usually by pressing the Delete key on your computer right at the start of boot. Usually after its first system beep if you have an internal speaker. From this menu you are able to disable key options that will interfere with Mac OS install or boot. Check the main guide here on tonymacx86.com to see what are common options to turn off, or the guide in my original post above. As long as you are turning off only the things in that guide, you should be alright with windows. Just dont mess with any of the CPU core settings or overclocking stuff and you will be fine. Anything changed from the guide can be immediately changed back or you can restore the bios defaults. This will not affect anything Ive seen yet with a Windows install.

Use this guide to create the bootable USB for Mac OS installer.
http://osxdaily.com/2015/09/30/create-os-x-el-capitan-boot-install-drive/
There may be other third party and graphical ways to do this but they never worked as well for me as doing it in terminal.

You access the system bios usually by pressing the Delete key on your computer right at the start of boot. Usually after its first system beep if you have an internal speaker. From this menu you are able to disable key options that will interfere with Mac OS install or boot. Check the main guide here on tonymacx86.com to see what are common options to turn off, or the guide in my original post above. As long as you are turning off only the things in that guide, you should be alright with windows. Just dont mess with any of the CPU core settings or overclocking stuff and you will be fine. Anything changed from the guide can be immediately changed back or you can restore the bios defaults. This will not affect anything Ive seen yet with a Windows install.
Okay, thanks for the help! I already have Windows 10 installed on my ssd. I have made two partitions of my ssd out of which one is reserved for mac os. I know that having same gen cpu and same gen motherboard is preferred but as you may know i have a skylake cpu n z270 mobo. I can try fixing the problems if i get but can i successfully boot into mac os with that combination? Thanks again.

Okay, thanks for the help! I already have Windows 10 installed on my ssd. I have made two partitions of my ssd out of which one is reserved for mac os. I know that having same gen cpu and same gen motherboard is preferred but as you may know i have a skylake cpu n z270 mobo. I can try fixing the problems if i get but can i successfully boot into mac os with that combination? Thanks again.

Yes that should be totally fine. I dont think it will make any difference that you have a skylake in a z270 board. In the same way you can use a kabylake in a z170 board if the firmware is updated. The differences are very minimal as far as the CPU goes. What is more likely to be different with the z170 or z270 board are things like the audio, lan, thunderbolt, etc chipsets that are available. Things are pretty well figured out on a z170 for those things so you can find a bit more info out there on it. But usually the patching is pretty close to the same if the kexts are being updated for them. I use the same network kext in my z170 as I do with my z270.

Also to be clear, clover loads after the system bios, but before mac os, linux, or windows. As I understand it, clover acts as a sort of front end driver that bridges and ports the system hardware to the drivers of OSX. Mac OSX calls for certain hardware connections that is normally proprietary to their hardware. Clover bridges that gap. So to be clear, this is why what you are doing on Mac OS side shouldnt affect anything on the Windows side of this. Windows will always connect to the system hardware directly. It will be unaware that clover even exists. So dont worry too much about the process affecting windows. Maybe someone can elaborate on this a little better as well.

The only thing I would worry about is having them share the same drive on multiple partitions. Not that this is not safe on its own, but just make sure you understand what you are doing when working with partitions. If you partitioned the drive in windows, and a mac os utility tries an attempt to resize the drive you might be left with a corrupted partition. Just make sure you know when you are doing these things. A safer way would be to have a dedicated drive for each of them instead. You should be fine though really.

Delphius, were you able to determine if Realtek audio was working? This is pretty much the build I'm looking at and this is how I would get audio. I plan on getting i5-7600K and G.SKILL TridentZ ram as well. I will be dual booting with Windows 10 (Samsung 960 Evo for Win10 and Samsung 850 Pro for OS X). I have a GTX 970. Thanks!

Delphius, were you able to determine if Realtek audio was working? This is pretty much the build I'm looking at and this is how I would get audio. I plan on getting i5-7600K and G.SKILL TridentZ ram as well. I will be dual booting with Windows 10 (Samsung 960 Evo for Win10 and Samsung 850 Pro for OS X). I have a GTX 970. Thanks!

I was thinking about checking this real soon. If not today then possibly tomorrow. Some other things with it needed to take priority so I could get to work on it. All my audio devices are external. I will let you know as soon as I check it the internal audio.

I was thinking about checking this real soon. If not today then possibly tomorrow. Some other things with it needed to take priority so I could get to work on it. All my audio devices are external. I will let you know as soon as I check it the internal audio.
Thank you!

Delphius, man, thank you for pointing out the NVRAM issue with Z270 boards! :thumbup:
After swapping an Asrock Z170M Extreme4 with a Z270M Extreme4 under a 6700k followed by a few minor tweaks everything was working ok except onboard audio. Although the nvidia driver kept switching back to showing OS X driver as active, full 3D acceleration was still OK. :)
Then later on I couldn't get it to work on a fresh Sierra install and just couldn't find out why... Somehow completely missed the relevant part of the troubleshooting topic, on multiple occasions tbh... :crazy:

Delphius, man, thank you for pointing out the NVRAM issue with Z270 boards! :thumbup:
After swapping an Asrock Z170M Extreme4 with a Z270M Extreme4 under a 6700k followed by a few minor tweaks everything was working ok except onboard audio. Although the nvidia driver kept switching back to showing OS X driver as active, full 3D acceleration was still OK. :)
Then later on I couldn't get it to work on a fresh Sierra install and just couldn't find out why... Somehow completely missed the relevant part of the troubleshooting topic, on multiple occasions tbh... :crazy:

borob, does sound via Realtek audio work for you now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back