Contribute
Register

Success - Sierra build - Mini Guide to get Thunderbolt 3 working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

Just thought to drop by and say hello. FYI I have successfully managed to implement TB3 on one of my boards, the Asus Z270 Prime A with Sierra 10.12.6 and quite successfully too - the system is fast and stable (runs on a Samsung NVMe) and also has USB 3.1 to boot. Had to say it wasn't easy, but it can be done. If you're having problems getting TB3 to be recognised by the system, perhaps you can compare some of the settings I used. Some of the issues I found may be that the TB card firmware has to be updated via Windows first before it works in Sierra. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-samsung-960-evo-nvme-thunderbolt-ex3.240368/

Apart from this I also have a Gigabyte Z77X-UP5-TH from ages ago which I plan to test upgrade soon to High Sierra. Will let you know of any developments.

Thanks for the reply! So I ended up using a spare SSD I wasn't using for much and loaded OS Sierra on it. Got almost everything working after a lot of tweaking and starting completely over once. I actually just had the exact same experience with the Orion Studio and I'm glad someone else on here is trying to get an Antelope interface working through Thunderbolt besides me.

I tried the Orion Studio through Thunderbolt to no avail even though my UAD Octo was working through TB. I even got a support guy from Antelope to remote connect and see what he could do (I didn't tell him it was a hack). Same exact thing with the interface working but no audio going through with my Orion Studio. He couldn't resolve it so I ended up trying USB and saw that it worked, so I'm just going to live with that for now. An expensive interface with a some latency that works is better than an expensive interface with very little latency that just sits in the rack to look good :p haha. Let me know if you get yours working through TB!

Same problem here... Orion not working.... hope this issue will be resolved someday

Here is a screenshot from the boot with errors on the antelope hope someone knows how to solve these

Attachments

• IMG_4158.jpg
    IMG_4158.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 270
Last edited:
If you guys have any questions on how to get TB working let me know!

Hello, I got the Z170X-UG and kabylake i7-770 and I got some problems with my TB. When I start without my Apollo 16, It starts very quickly. When I plug it, it's way slower to boot and at first it was working and when I add my 2 satellites, it worked the first time and after a reboot, nothing is detected anymore.

I've followed your guide and tried to activate the Detachable Graphics settings, but no change.

Help

Edit : actually, I reversed the USB-C adaptor and it's working?!
But the connection is slow and not working at 100%

Attachments

• debug_11586.zip
    652.1 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_20180823_162456.jpg
    IMG_20180823_162456.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 207
Last edited:
Hi, My Motherboard gigabyte GA Z170x Ultragaming, but thunderbolt 3 not hardware found in my hackintosh,, please help me :(

Hello here my config.
I'm on a ASRock SuperCarrier (https://www.asrock.com/support/index.us.asp?Model=supercarrier) with TB3 built-in.
I'm on HS 10.13.4.
I'm also using a CalDigit TS3 station based on Alpine .
I can use almost all the ports that the CalDigit sports with no problem.

I do have tested all but the DIsplayPort (do not have a monitor with DP to test with) ports with no problem.

Two common things at this stage are not working:
Hot plugging: ie I do have to boot with TS3, or I think any TB3 device, connected at boot otherwise non way to use TB3.
Naturally System Information it always, even with things connected and working to the CalDigit TS3, showing "Thunderbolt: No drivers are loaded."

I'v enclosed a snapshot of DPCI Manager app showing all the ports the TS3 has.
No problem at all and I did not (I've no windows OS installation) make any particular thing.

The firmware of the MoBo is the latest available from ASRock site.

Hope it helps.

Hey Karterilla,

I'm thinking of buying a CalDigit TS3 station for my Hackintosh (Dell XPS 15 9570). The 2 most important things would be to be able to use my good old Apple Cinema Display using this: (Startech.Com DP2MDPMF6IN 6-Inch Display Port to Mini Display Port Video Cable Adapter-M/F)
to connect my ACD to Caldigit TS3. The second to be able to connect my OWC Thunderbay 4 via Thunderbolt 3 to Caldigit TS3.

Is the Caldigit TS3 ethernet working?

Any idea if this could work?
Thanks.

any new to get the Antelope interfaces work with thunderbolt??
I have an Antelope Zen Tour, with the exact error that get the other users
thanks guys.

Attachments

• image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    112.2 KB · Views: 213
any new to get the Antelope interfaces work with thunderbolt??
I have an Antelope Zen Tour, with the exact error that get the other users
thanks guys.
I have the same problem with my GA Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi + Titan Ridge card. Other TB devices work. Antelope interface only with USB. Tried both StarTech and Apple TB2 to 3 interface. No results. Any news on this topic?

Still no luck here. The best bet is to get the hackingtosh community working on fully implementing TB - getting Thunderbolt bus / local node working. I haven't a clue so couldn't;t help I'm afraid but there does't seem to be many conversations about it either.

I also contacted Antelope support and got this response:

"Yes, we do not support Hackintosh configurations indeed (USB is not officially supported either). However, I have forwarded your inquiry and the information you've provided to my colleagues so that they can take a look. I actually spoke to another Hackintosh user earlier today, so thank you for reaching out!

I don't want to get your hopes up in any way but this might just be taken into account during driver development further down the line."

I believe antelopes driver uses thunderbolt local node somehow (in case devices are networked) and as thunderbolt networking doesn't work on hackingtoshes yet this is probably why the drivers don't work. This would explain why the UAD apollos work as they don't have the network capability. But these are all just guesses, I'm way out of my depth. I would greatly appreciate insight from someone who knows what they're talking about!

Sam from Antelope support told me there was someone who was able to use local node. But the person did not know how. It was someone on gearslutz. I bought de AFX2ADW plugin (actually was part of the deal). But it only works with TB. SO I guess I'm stuck to my old plugins for now. There is a big hackintosh community that will buy UAD instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back