Contribute
Register

SUCCESS! (Sierra) Asus P8H61-I R2.0, i5 3570k, GTX 950. Mac OS could not be installed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
p8h61-i r2.0
CPU
i5 3570k
Graphics
gtx 950
New to the hackintosh scene, I wanted to build my wife a small form factor pc, but she prefers mac os and uses iphone (what a pleb)

Anyway, from the get go, following the tonymac guide to install sierra with unibeast, I got into the installer right away. Didn't have to add or edit flags, just made sure my mobo was set to other os under boot/security and formatted my hard drive in disk utility in the installer.

however, every single time i tried to install the os to my harddrive, it would hang at the start and eventually say Mac os could not be installed on your computer. I tried absolutely everything and scoured the internet for fixes. I tried every combination of boot flags, one stick of ram, two sticks of ram, no gpu, different hard drive...

i was about to give up, but tried a last ditch effort. I used a different flash drive, plugged into a different usb port, and i manually set the date and time to july of 2016 in the terminal. I don't know if the date made a difference, i just saw a post somewhere that it could make a difference so i tried it.

And it worked! The installer got past 15 minutes remaining and I booted into the mac os sierra desktop! Hope this helps someone else out there...

How has it been working? What are your specs for MultiBeast?

@mess62, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard or Make/Model, CPU and Graphics Card.
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

Hi there, does your P8H61-I BIOS have the Secure Boot option that you're allowed to disable? I have the motherboard, but I suspect it's the REV1, because I cannot find that option. I've also seen one post saying that the option isn't hidden on the motherboard, it's missing. I'm just getting a blinking cursor when trying to boot anything other than my W10 drive, and I think the inability to disable Secure Boot is the reason.

I think the inability to disable Secure Boot is the reason.
If you can't disable Secure Boot you can't boot macOS. Are there any BIOS updates available that are newer than what you have now ? If not, get a different socket 1155 motherboard that you can install your 3570K into. Here's one option that I know lets you disable secure boot: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-0F82W...644837&hash=item2f2a0bd4b5:g:a-EAAOSw5vxcQLMn

You can also buy and Optiplex 7010/9010 SFF or MT barebones PC and install your CPU into it and transfer your ram.

I downloaded the latest BIOS for the board while I was trying to get the USB installer booting (It's never worked, just a blinking cursor), Version 0909 from 2013/05/07 is the latest one available :(

I was hoping to do this with hardware that I already have, but this mobo doesn't look like it's going to let me.

Nope, I just checked the PDF manual for the mobo and the only two instances of "Secure" were for securing the mobo to the case with screws.

EDIT: Awesome, just ordered the mobo you linked. The shipping is more than the cost of the part for me in Canada, but I'm sure this will work!

EDIT2: Just noticed this is an ATX mobo, rather than an ITX one. I'll be getting a bigger case, too, then.

Last edited:
You could also buy one of these and replace the i3 CPU with your i5 and even install Catalina with no problems. Easy, low cost and painless.

Thanks so much for the suggestions! This is helpful to have options.

I actually cancelled the eBay order, as the seller kindly allowed me to cancel the purchase after I explained it was ITX I was looking for. I've got a Cooler Master Elite 130 that is an ITX case, that fits a double-wide graphics card. While I can't use the GeForce card at the moment, I'd like to use a Radeon in the future, or have that option.

I'm trying to find whether one of the Dell 9020 SFF boards will fit in here. I think there's enough room in the case for the SFF board, which actually has two full PCI-E slots. Reading up a little more I'm reading about proprietary connectors that are going to not work.

Is there a Mini Tower system that's similar to these ones? (The HP one has better IO, though won't fit in my case, and a full GPU won't fit in that case)

I'm trying to find whether one of the Dell 9020 SFF boards will fit in here. I think there's enough room in the case for the SFF board, which actually has two full PCI-E slots.
This is the portion of the Dell SFF motherboard that is equal to an ITX board. The case would need to have a lot of extra room (length) for the area where the ram slots are located. The width, from right to left, shouldn't be a problem. Looks like it should have enough room but some standoffs wouldn't be there in the front part of the case. You only have the 4 standard ITX standoff mounting points. You would also need to use the proprietary Dell CPU cooler for that SFF board. They are plentiful on Ebay and don't cost much at all.

Screen Shot 3.jpg

1588096822328.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back