Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Sierra 10.12 HP ENVY 750se / i7-6700K / 980ti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, this build is a pre-built HP ENVY 750se with an Intel Skylake i7-6700K and Nvidia 980ti running with Sierra 10.12. I used Unibeast, Multibeast, Clover Configurator and ssdtPRGen.

The Build
- IPM17-TP motherboard (I assume this is HP proprietary)
- Intel i7-6700K 4GHz Skylake
- 16GB RAM (unknown detail)
- Nvidia GTX 980ti (unknown detail)
- Samsung 480 128GB SSD

I thrashed around on this a bit for ~48-72 hours, first attempting Sierra, then going to El Capitan and back to Sierra. I could get everything working (USB, GPU, Ethernet) but I always had to have cpus=1 in the boot flags. TLDR, I saw gettimeofday exceptions in the thread dumps and that led me to a forum post saying the VoodooTSSync kext was designed to fix this issue. I blame this on the generic HP motherboard but I don't know the root cause for certain. Unfortunately Multibeast says this is only needed for LGA2011 chipsets, but in the end it's exactly what I needed with a LGA1151. I didn't build this PC specifically for Hackintosh, I bought it in April for Vive VR and I wanted to adapt this to Hackintosh so I could speed up weekly iMovie projects.

I followed the main Sierra install guide at https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ierra-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.200564/. I had some difficulty because the motherboard BIOS is very limited. In the end I always had virtualization disabled which is the only setting that lined up with the instructions.

The Gotchas
-- I had to use iMac14,2. iMac 17,1 would not boot once I got the GPU working and MacPro3,1 wouldn't boot with "This platform not ... by Mac OS X" errors.
-- I had to use VoodooTSSync 4 core kext or else I would need cpus=1.
-- I used ssdtPRGen and manually put it in place using Clover Configurator
-- Used UEFI Boot mode in Multibeast along with 3rd Party USB

I ran Geekbench 4 and the score was ~5000 and ~16000 which is in line with Late 2015 i7-6700K Retina 27" iMac scores. I am really happy with this build, I benefited from a lot of forum posts, so THANK YOU everyone.

Last edited:
Do you have a list of the KEXTs you loaded? Like which audio kext and such?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back