Contribute
Register

Success: GA-Z170X-UD5, i7-6700K, EVGA GTX970, Skylake iMac 17.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm about to start a nearly identical hardware build and this post helps me breathe a HUGE sigh of relief. You likely saved me hours and hours of tedious optimization. Thanks a million, dude.

One question: are you using a key-remapper like Karabiner? Karabiner apparently doesn't work under Sierra. I thought I'd need to install El Cap instead of Sierra to retain use of Karabiner, but if you know of an alternative to Karabiner that works under Sierra, then I'll gladly upgrade to Sierra. Thoughts?
why do you need Karabiner?

I used Karabiner in the past because the Keyboard modifier key preference wasn't around. Now it is and now I'm aware. :)

As for this build, sunnyj, (Edit: Audio is mysteriously working now) and sleep only sleeps the monitors. Any ideas? The only way I deviated from your build instructions was to skip installing the Nvidia web drivers because they weren't available for Sierra 10.12.1 (which is what I installed). Do you think the .1 sierra upgrade somehow broke (Edit: audio is mysteriously working now) and sleep?

I've tried darkwake = 0 to induce sleep. Only monitors sleep/wake. System stays on.

Audio. Toleda's audio_codecdetect command returned:

Onboard audio codec
Realtek: 0x10ec0900
Error: no IOReg/HDEF; BIOS/audio/disabled or ACPI problem; FIX:
ghdefpciname = NONE
ghdefpciname1 =
BIOS problem, set BIOS/.../HD Audio/Enabled
ACPI problem, try:
toleda's ssdt_hdef-1-no-ioreg/hdef​

I've used toleda's methods in the past on a different board with varying degrees of success. I'm reluctant to mess with anything because your build seemed to work flawlessly. Any ideas other than trying his methods?

Edit: I restarted a second time after re-installing the audio codecs, and audio now mysteriously works. Although the audio codec detect command returns info identical to that listed above and it doesn't appear to be detecting the correct ALC1150 codec for this board?

Last edited:
Hey guys,

So essentially I have the same build as this.
Gigabyte z170x-ud5 w/ F5 bios, Samsung Evo 500gb, gtx 960x.

So the installation of Sierra 10.12.1 went absolutely fine just as this guide has reported.

So my issue was when I tried booting up a Windows 10 ufei usb. Because I have an led keyboard and mouse, I notice that the usb won't disconnect when trying to load the windows 10 ufei installer. I am assuming because it is disconnecting, it shows the windows 10 installer but it's just a blank purple screen with a mouse cursor.

So basically what am I doing wrong, I have installed Windows 10 from a usb numerous amounts of time and have never had any issue.

Is it just this motherboard? I tried researching it but I have found no information in regards to this case.

I have tried messing with the bios setting, disconnecting my SSD, plugged into usb 2.0 / 3.0 / 3.1, update the bios to the latest, but nothing seems to make a difference .

Can someone test and confirm that this is indeed an issue with this motherboard?

I used Karabiner in the past because the Keyboard modifier key preference wasn't around. Now it is and now I'm aware. :)

As for this build, sunnyj, (Edit: Audio is mysteriously working now) and sleep only sleeps the monitors. Any ideas? The only way I deviated from your build instructions was to skip installing the Nvidia web drivers because they weren't available for Sierra 10.12.1 (which is what I installed). Do you think the .1 sierra upgrade somehow broke (Edit: audio is mysteriously working now) and sleep?

I've tried darkwake = 0 to induce sleep. Only monitors sleep/wake. System stays on.

Onboard audio codec
ghdefpciname = NONE
ghdefpciname1 =
ACPI problem, try:

I've used toleda's methods in the past on a different board with varying degrees of success. I'm reluctant to mess with anything because your build seemed to work flawlessly. Any ideas other than trying his methods?

Edit: I restarted a second time after re-installing the audio codecs, and audio now mysteriously works. Although the audio codec detect command returns info identical to that listed above and it doesn't appear to be detecting the correct ALC1150 codec for this board?
See this #9

Onboard audio codec
ghdefpciname = NONE
ghdefpciname1 =
ACPI problem, try:

I did this build with 10.11.6, 10.12 and 10.12.1 from scratch and never had issues with audio other than no audio after sleep. Using Codec Commander fixed that.

Hey guys,

So essentially I have the same build as this.
Gigabyte z170x-ud5 w/ F5 bios, Samsung Evo 500gb, gtx 960x.

So the installation of Sierra 10.12.1 went absolutely fine just as this guide has reported.

So my issue was when I tried booting up a Windows 10 ufei usb. Because I have an led keyboard and mouse, I notice that the usb won't disconnect when trying to load the windows 10 ufei installer. I am assuming because it is disconnecting, it shows the windows 10 installer but it's just a blank purple screen with a mouse cursor.

So basically what am I doing wrong, I have installed Windows 10 from a usb numerous amounts of time and have never had any issue.

Is it just this motherboard? I tried researching it but I have found no information in regards to this case.

I have tried messing with the bios setting, disconnecting my SSD, plugged into usb 2.0 / 3.0 / 3.1, update the bios to the latest, but nothing seems to make a difference .

Can someone test and confirm that this is indeed an issue with this motherboard?

After installing MacOS, I unplugged all drives except the Windows 10 ssd drive and installed Windows. I left the bios settings the same as I used when installing Mac. I read somewhere that if you try to install Windows with MacOS drives attached, it causes issues somewhere down the road. Now I keep all drives plugged in and boot into Windows from the Clover menu.

Hey guys,
Hoping I could get some advice:
Running:
Sierra 10.12.1 16B2657
Clover 3949
i7-6700k
Gigabyte z170x-ud5
64gb Ballistic Sport
512gb Samsung 950 NVMe
GTX 780 (Gk11x)

I finally got everything working pretty solidly except for the Nvidia Drivers. I can't install the "EmuVariableUefi" driver in clover without a black screen I can't add "infect Nvidia" without a black screen. Screen mirror will not connect while at black screen. Oddly when I boot back up with the "nv_disable=1" flag after installing the "EmuVariableUefi" driver it says that the driver is installed in Nvdriver manager, which it's obviously not. (I confirmed in CUDAz just to make sure)

So I'm running fine, some minor gfx errors, but it's clearly the old stock drivers that are running 355.10.05.05b16 and not the latest 367.15.10.15f03.

Yes, the boot flag has been removed and the NvidiaWeb system parameter has been set. But with this board I have to uninstall "EmuVariableUefi"... any ideas?

Last edited:
Hey guys,
Hoping I could get some advice:
Running:
Sierra 10.12.1 16B2657
Clover 3949
i7-6700k
Gigabyte z170x-ud5
64gb Ballistic Sport
512gb Samsung 950 NVMe
GTX 780 (Gk11x)

I finally got everything working pretty solidly except for the Nvidia Drivers. I can't install the "EmuVariableUefi" driver in clover without a black screen I can't add "infect Nvidia" without a black screen. Screen mirror will not connect while at black screen. Oddly when I boot back up with the "nv_disable=1" flag after installing the "EmuVariableUefi" driver it says that the driver is installed in Nvdriver manager, which it's obviously not. (I confirmed in CUDAz just to make sure)

So I'm running fine, some minor gfx errors, but it's clearly the old stock drivers that are running 355.10.05.05b16 and not the latest 367.15.10.15f03.

Yes, the boot flag has been removed and the NvidiaWeb system parameter has been set. But with this board I have to uninstall "EmuVariableUefi"... any ideas?
why are you installing EmuVariableUefi?

I updated to 10.12.2 today with no issues. Sleep, audio ect is all working :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back