Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] SIERRA 10.12.2 - GA-x79-UD5, 3930k, GTX 670

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a few days of persistence, I finally have success with the Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 & NVIDIA GTX 670 config! Funny thing was that I was able to get to the installer and get Sierra installed using UniBeast! The key with this mobo and gfx combo is to add the npci=0x3000 line and the nv_disable=1 boot args, no matter which method you use. I still don't get audio out of the mobo, but I'm not worried about that since I have a USB sound card which works flawlessly. About the only thing I still have yet to test is USB 3.0. Currently, I have the USB 3.0 controller turned OFF in the BIOS. Wonder if I should turn that on and what I should do to get USB 3.0 functioning. Thanks for the guide! You do have to be pretty savy to maneuver so good thing I am! ;)

Hello All,

I am having a most difficult time trying to get USB 3.0 up and running on this GA-X79-UD5 board. I have tried quite a few things, including installing the USBXHCI_FL1009.kext file, to no avail. Has anyone had any success getting USB 3.0 up and running with this mobo?

Josh's Hackintosh Build JAN 31st 2017

OSX SIERRA (10.12.2) INSTRUCTIONS

I.

SPECS:

GIBABYTE GA-X79-UD5
32GB 1600MHZ CORSAIR RAM
3930K INTEL CHIP
GIGABYTE GTX 670 2GB GRAPHICS
H100i CORSAIR COOLING
TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 DUAL BAND WIFI

II.

INTRO:

Purpose of this is to save time for someone else / future self who owns this build.

Took a solid day to go from nothing to fully functioning SIERRA Hackintosh computer. Before this there was a lot of learning from the very helpful forums of tonymac, insanelymac, and ******/hackintosh. Thank you all.

My computer was running Mavericks like a charm, however it had been a few years since upgrading and I wanted the new colourful interface of Sierra, like my macbook pro.

If you’re a visual person like me, this video guide will probably help you with the order of things – however the exact configuration he mentions is not for this build.

III.

CHIMERA TO CLOVER:

Simply converting from old Chimera to new Clover bootloaders was time consuming (did I mention I’m not a computer person?). I didn’t realize you can’t get rid of your bootloader even if you erase your hard drive.

Whenever I tried to boot with clover, my system always defaulted to chimera boot screen. I erased my USB, my SSD, and even flashed my BIOS in attempt to get rid of chimera and start fresh.

Turns out it was on my SSD and you can erase your bootloader by changing the partition scheme from GUID to Master Boot Record, and then back to GUID in Disk Utility.

IV.
USB INSTALLATION PART 01:

Now the real work can begin. Download SIERRA, CLOVER EFI INSTALLER, CLOVER CONFIGURATOR, and EFI Mounter.

I installed Sierra onto the USB using terminal because it’s fastest, guide below. Make sure InstallmacOSSierra.app is in applications.

http://www.imore.com/how-make-bootable-installer-drive

Right away, click on Clover EFI Install and choose your new USB. Before installing, click on “Customize” and check the following options. (This is what worked for me. Not sure if it is “right” per se)

√ Bootloader / Install boot0af in MBR
√ Clover EFI / 64-bits BiosBlockIO
√ Themes / (one of your choice)
√ Drivers / osxAptioFixDrv-64
√ Drivers / PartitionDxe-64

Hit install. (Note I avoided: Install for UEFI booting only)

USB INSTALLATION PART 02:

Open the folder /volumes/yourUSB/EFI/Clover/config.plist with Clover Configurator. I followed this guide with things to input:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-ga-x79-ud5-3930k-gtx-560-2gb-10-11-2.181173/

EXCEPT these are different:

RTVariables / CsrActiveConfig = 0x67
SMBIOS / iMac 14,2 (Sierra doesn’t work with Mac Pro 3,1 and 4,1)

Save and Quit.

USB INSTALLATION PART 03:

Download all the kext’s from the same guide above. The ones I needed were:

FakeSMC.kext <-- Very very important. I missed this one and wasted so much time
FakePCIIDXHIMux.kext
FakePCIId.kext
USBXHCI_FL1009.kext
Apple IntelE100e.kext

They can be found elsewhere on Tonymac if the links are down.

Put these into /volumes/yourUSB/EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other

Now we’re ready to boot.

V.

BIOS SETTINGS:

Disable VT-d, and USB 3.0 controllers. Otherwise most settings aren’t too important. If you have Bios update 13w, re-flash to 13p or 12 BIOS’s. This update has been known to cause problems.

To download old Gigabyte drivers, go to their website, and download. If they give you an .exe file, open it with Stuffit Expander. Then the BIOS file is revealed and it can be installed with separate USB.

VI.

INSTALLATION:

Put your USB into a USB 2.0 port on your computer. You SHOULD go to the Clover boot screen. Choose your Install macOS Sierra USB from the menu.

If you chose –v (verbose mode) you will see the text scrolling on your screen. If you run into a problem, take a picture of where it stopped and then search the forum for answers.

BUT! If your build is like mine, you should have gone to the Sierra Installer screen. If not. I’m sorry. Make sure you followed all the steps and try again.

Format your SSD or HDD with Disk Utility to the same settings as your USB (MAC OS Journaled, and GUID). Quit Disk Utility and Install Sierra onto your SSD. Progress bar took 30min despite the 7min prediction.

Once done, the computer will restart itself, then finish installing for another 13 minutes. It will go back to the Clover Boot Menu where you will choose your freshly installed SSD.

It SHOULD get you into the computer setup menu where you can select wifi options and icloud and the like. Getting from Clover to here is probably the hardest and most time consuming part. If you got here in one or two tries, congrats! That’s rare I think.

VII.

POST INSTALLATION PART 01:

Did it! The feeling of getting here was worth all that time spent wondering what kext’s are. The key here is to do almost all the same things you did for the USB, but onto your SSD this time.

What’s probably not working: Sound, Graphics Card, USB 3.0, iMessage. Don’t worry, these are all fixable.

Initiate Clover EFI Installer and choose your SSD. Choose Customize and check all the same ones you did in step IV.

Open the folder /volumes/yourSSD/EFI/Clover/config.plist with Clover Configurator. Use the same settings from IV. Part 02 of this guide.

Put the exact same kext files from IV. Part 03 into this folder here:

/yourSSD/EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other

Save Clover Configurator and exit. Remove your bootable USB and restart the system.

If all went well, it should go to Clover. Click on your SSD. If all went REALLY well it should get you back to your working Sierra. I found that sometimes it would stop at the loading screen, but after restarting again, it worked properly. This goes away after a complete install.

POST INSTALLATION PART 02:

Graphics. You must download the graphics driver from gigabyte. It is ONLY OSX specific (i.e. 10.12.2 aka 16C67 for me), don’t worry if it doesn’t list your card in the “supported gpus” section. Full guide on installing the drivers here:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...for-macos-sierra-10-12-0-367-15-10-05.200843/

(Make sure in Clover Configurator to uncheck boot/nv_disable=1 and nvda_drv=1. Then uncheck Graphics/injectNvidia to get the card running by default)

Sound. Download audio_pikeralphaALC-120.command.zip from Toleda here:

https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverALC/blob/master/audio_pikeralphaALC-120.command.zip

It opens terminal. Enter password and hit “y” a few times.

USB 3.0. I haven’t tested it yet. Could be working, maybe not. Please let me know if you figure it out.

iMessage. Also haven’t tested. Found a good guide though:

https://www.******.com/r/hackintosh/comments/2wohwn/getting_imessage_working_on_10102_generating/

Sleep: Didn’t yet work for me because of my Bluetooth dongle. I can use it but have to hit the power button to wake it up. Fine with me.

Bluetooth: Works without anything.

Internet: My particular wifi card worked without anything extra.

VIII.

FINAL NOTES:

I wanted to boot as fast as possible so I set boot/default boot volume to my ssd and Timeout=0 in Clover Configurator. This skipped the Clover boot options menu. Then in my BIOS, I turned BIOS SPLASH SCREEN = DISABLE so that only the American Megatrends would be there briefly.

Boot is now about 20secs. Not terrible.

If you have ATHR Unknown Locale 14 (or 21) errors, it’s your wifi card. Follow this guide:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-of-the-athr-unknown-locale-21-errors.148852/

Big thank you to everyone for helping me getting this far.
It feels all the more rewarding to have a working rig with Sierra
after spending so much time figuring this stuff out.

Have you tried 10.13 yet on this mainboard X79 UD5?

Hello All,

I am having a most difficult time trying to get USB 3.0 up and running on this GA-X79-UD5 board. I have tried quite a few things, including installing the USBXHCI_FL1009.kext file, to no avail. Has anyone had any success getting USB 3.0 up and running with this mobo?

Glad you got your computer working! I don't come on here much whenever my computer's working fine, sorry for being unresponsive.

ALSO, I have not figured out USB 3.0 yet.... I'd also really appreciate it if someone had a lead.

I know this is a fairly old thread, but I need some serious help @goronguy if you can assist.

I've been able to get into OSX 10.12.6 using your guide and the AGDPFIX for the video. The issue I am having now is that the read/write speed is incredibly slow. Deleting a file will take anywhere between 1-5 minutes. Loading applications will sometimes run slow as well, like accessing utilities and such.

I am using the same MOBO and CPU as you and my SSD is the SanDisk Extreme 480GB SATA III.

I have yet to find a solution other than trying to turn on/off Trim which does nothing. Although, turning it OFF allows for quicker booting.

Booting is also fairly slow, but that's not a huge issue for now, probably has something to do with the SSD anyway. Any help would be AWESOME.

This happen to me and I got it fixed by downloading a new copy of OSX and creating a new bootable usb key. I got stuck for a few days with this issue.
Good luck.

This happen to me and I got it fixed by downloading a new copy of OSX and creating a new bootable usb key. I got stuck for a few days with this issue.
Good luck.

Can you identify how this fixed your copy? It seems like something to do with either a CPU or RAM management kext.

Did you have to reinstall the whole thing?

Dear Veriatech ,
Did you manage to get a UEFI boot .... For me the board ... same one ... shows Reboot and Select Boot device from the Clover USB or SSD .... Help !!! :)

After a few days of persistence, I finally have success with the Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5 & NVIDIA GTX 670 config! Funny thing was that I was able to get to the installer and get Sierra installed using UniBeast! The key with this mobo and gfx combo is to add the npci=0x3000 line and the nv_disable=1 boot args, no matter which method you use. I still don't get audio out of the mobo, but I'm not worried about that since I have a USB sound card which works flawlessly. About the only thing I still have yet to test is USB 3.0. Currently, I have the USB 3.0 controller turned OFF in the BIOS. Wonder if I should turn that on and what I should do to get USB 3.0 functioning. Thanks for the guide! You do have to be pretty savy to maneuver so good thing I am! ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back