Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] shipbu1lder's build of GA-Z77X-UP5-TH, i7-3770K, GTX 580

Status
Not open for further replies.
[SUCCESS] shipbu1lder's build of GA-Z77X-UP5-TH, i7-3770K

Hi Shuipbu1lder;

Sounds as though your machine wakes from sleep properly? Did you ever have the issue of the USB ports not coming back when it wakes up? Mine tells me the USB drive was unplugged incorrectly when it wakes up. Does your machine go completely to sleep, powered down?

Thanx
P

Hi Shuipbu1lder;

Sounds as though your machine wakes from sleep properly? Did you ever have the issue of the USB ports not coming back when it wakes up? Mine tells me the USB drive was unplugged incorrectly when it wakes up. Does your machine go completely to sleep, powered down?

Thanx
P

I had an external USB 2.0 drive plugged in once and when the computer woke from sleep, I got that message but I don't usually leave any external devices plugged in like that. I currently only have the Targus bluetooth dongle plugged into a USB 3.0 port and waking from sleep has no effect on it.

The computer does a complete shut down type sleep, no fans running, CPU cooler isn't running, monitor shuts down, all as though the computer had been turned off. Wakes instantly if I press a key on the keyboard or press a mouse button. Bluetooth and internet connection are instantaneous when it's woken from sleep. In other words, it works exactly as you would expect a Mac to work.

Take care,

Bob

Hello Shipbu1lder,

I'm looking to build something similar to yours,

Just wondering if you managed to get the thunderbolt ports working?

Thanks

Hye bob,

my build is similar like yours, i installed snow leopard and get through the whole process, and it reboot nicely at the first time using iboot and successfully installed the snow leopard, run combo update for 10.6.8, i install multibeast and tick easybeast, system utilities, and chimera but after i reboot it load and stuck at apple screen logo.. i try to reboot again with flags and PCIRootUID=0 but still stuck at apple logo. FYI i still can reboot with iboot and get to my desktop.

reason installing snow leopard because want to install Mt. Lion.

Hello Shipbu1lder,

I'm looking to build something similar to yours,

Just wondering if you managed to get the thunderbolt ports working?

Thanks

Haven't tested them because I currently don't have any thunderbolt ports. Sorry.

Bob

Hye bob,

my build is similar like yours, i installed snow leopard and get through the whole process, and it reboot nicely at the first time using iboot and successfully installed the snow leopard, run combo update for 10.6.8, i install multibeast and tick easybeast, system utilities, and chimera but after i reboot it load and stuck at apple screen logo.. i try to reboot again with flags and PCIRootUID=0 but still stuck at apple logo. FYI i still can reboot with iboot and get to my desktop.

reason installing snow leopard because want to install Mt. Lion.

I wish I could help you but I'm just not much of an expert on the Hackintosh at all. My first hack build used the UD5H board and I never could get everything to work with it. This build was an upgrade more or less from that one and I chose this board because of the success others have had with it. I have never even tried to install Snow Leopard on a Hack, always used ML since my first Hack.

Bob

Hi shipbu1lder.

I am a completely new at this, and am considering assembling my first hackintosh (similar configuration), within a month.

I have a few questions for you and hope you would take the time out and answer them, some of the question might have been answered by you already in your build thread.

1. When it comes to the case / cabinet, did you have any other options other than the Cooler Master Cosmos II - Ultra Tower ?

2. With regards to the graphic card, again were there any other options you had in mind other than the EVGA GeForce GTX 580? which would work on your existing setup.

3. Did not quiet get understand if the WD Red 3 TB NAS Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA III, 64 MB Cache - WD30EFRX is an internal or external drive? could you share some light on the this (

4. Also, were you able to get the ports USB 3, USB 2, LAN, Audio, Thunderbolt, in the front and back working?

- if no, which ports are still an issue.

5. Any particular reason on selecting the Corsair Enthusiast Series 850-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply Compatible with Core i3, i5, i7 and platforms - TX850

I do hope to hear from you on the above, with regards to any issues you might have encountered during the build, post build which I might have to look for and its solution.

Hi shipbu1lder.

I am a completely new at this, and am considering assembling my first hackintosh (similar configuration), within a month.

I have a few questions for you and hope you would take the time out and answer them, some of the question might have been answered by you already in your build thread.

1. When it comes to the case / cabinet, did you have any other options other than the Cooler Master Cosmos II - Ultra Tower ?

2. With regards to the graphic card, again were there any other options you had in mind other than the EVGA GeForce GTX 580? which would work on your existing setup.

3. Did not quiet get understand if the WD Red 3 TB NAS Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA III, 64 MB Cache - WD30EFRX is an internal or external drive? could you share some light on the this (

4. Also, were you able to get the ports USB 3, USB 2, LAN, Audio, Thunderbolt, in the front and back working?

- if no, which ports are still an issue.

5. Any particular reason on selecting the Corsair Enthusiast Series 850-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply Compatible with Core i3, i5, i7 and platforms - TX850

I do hope to hear from you on the above, with regards to any issues you might have encountered during the build, post build which I might have to look for and its solution.

Regarding your questions:

1. There are lots of cases to choose from, you just need to take a look at Amazon or Newegg and decide for yourself what suits your needs. I chose the Cooler Master Cosmos II for basically two reasons - I looked the looks and quality having used this case on a PC build years ago (older version, of course), and it had lots of room and options for adding hard drives and such.

2. I bought the graphics card about a year ago and at the time it was close to being the top of the line card. I like GeForce cards, have had others in the past. There are lots of cards that will work with this setup, you just have to do the research and read Tonymac's hardware guide.

3. The two 3TB hard drives are internal but accessible from the front of the case. There are two lockable doors on the front of the case below the CD/DVD player bays. You pull a leaver and when you do, the hard drive slides out. This makes it easy to remove them and take them with you or lock them in a safe without having to actually open the case and disconnect cables. The cables are connected to the trays themselves so that when you slide the hard drive into the tray, it connects to the cables. Very neat and clean way of accessing hard drives. Many cases have a similar setup for a SSD but not many have this setup for hard drives.

4. I've used the USB 3 ports (front and back) most recently for a USB 3.0 bluetooth dongle. I use the USB 2 ports for such things as a wired USB keyboard and the tonymac thumb drive used to install the software as well as for an external USB 2 hard drive. I've used both front and back audio ports for speakers and headphones. I haven't tried the thunderbolt ports but system profile recognizes them so I would assume they will work, I just don't have any thunderbolt devices right now.

5. I chose the 850 watt power supply because I wanted to be sure I had enough power for existing hardware as well as any new or additional hardware I might add later. For example, I might someday decide to go with dual video cards in crossfire or SNL configuration which would require more power. I might decide to add more drives which would require more power. I just like to cover all bases in case I want to get more hardware in the future. You could probably get by with 500 to 650 watts but the 850 isn't that much more expensive. I also love the Corsair power supply because all the cables are removable so you only plug in the cables you actually need. That way you don't have a big mess of cables you're not using cluttering up the inside of the case.

Take care,

Bob

ccaf,
Take a look at the tonymac Buyers Guide for February (link in my signature block) for tonymacx86's recommend builds and recommended components.

The motherboard, processor and graphics cards are the most important consideration to having a successful working hackintosh. Everything else is supports those three. But, if you're new to hackintoshes, then go low risk and choose a recommended build. I did that for my first build several years ago (used a tonymacx86 recommended build), and it worked from the "get go."

The things to consider for a case is
  • good airflow;
  • fits the graphics card and processor cooler (if you use a non Intel CPU cooler);
  • fits in the location you plan for it (desktop or on the floor);
  • quiet operation; and
  • is it's appearance compatible with your decor - you don't want it's design/color stand out like a sore thumb. :thumbup:
I have a Fractal Design Define R3 (current model is the R4) which is very quiet. I also have a Lian Li PC-A05FN which is quiet, but not as quiet as the Fractal R3, but the Lian Li fits on my desk nicely.

Google PSU calculators. Newegg has a good power supply calculator. The PSUs in the tonymacx86 Buyers Guide Recommended Builds are sized for the list components.

I have pretty much the same build but Nofan case and power supply. I'm using Nvidia GTX 670 graphics card, connected to Apple Cinema Display (not the thunderbolt version) via display port to mini-display port adapter. Everything works fine after initial Unibeast 1.7 install, but after applying Multibeast 5.2.1 with your settings (and most others I have tried), I just get a white screen. It's difficult to debug because with SSD drive the verbose messages go by too quickly. I will have to video them to see if I can capture them.

Are you using on-board graphics or discreet graphics card?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back