Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Screen Freezes using Sapphire Radeon Vega 64 Nitro+ in MacOS Mojave 10.14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus WS X299 Sage/10g
CPU
i9-7940X
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
There has been a lot written on this that I have read in the forum, but nothing has fixed it for me yet.....I have been trying to use my Sapphire Radeon Vega 64 Nitro+ in MacOS Mojave 10.14, and I get inevitable screen freezes. Here are the main “behaviors” I see:

1. Screen freezes (with a moveable mouse and ongoing audio playback if it was already playing prior to freezing) that end occasionally on their own and return to normal functioning, but usually end with either me powering down the system, with the system rebooting spontaneously, or with the system logging me out to the login screen.

2. This behavior happens most readily when I try to run FCPX (my main reason for building a Hackintosh with an AMD card) but it can happen without and inevitably will sooner or later.

3. I have had the same behavior with other AMD cards (I ran both single and dual Sapphire 280x Vapor-X cards) on this and other motherboard combos, but never this bad.

4. I have tried to set up my system in tons of different ways! i.e., with Lilu.kext (and without), with whatevergreen.kext (and without), and with a few other graphics directed kextx (and without). I have tried with a very minimalistic config.plist in the EFI folder and with config.plists with countless flags and kext patches to fix things as others have found to work. I have even tried the intricate process of setting up my system with both the integrated intel-GPU and my discrete AMD-GPU together at the same time, but I could never boot up with the intel-GPU enabled in the BIOS.

So, I’m willing to upload my EFI and IO files again if someone thinks they can help more by seeing those, but if anyone knows of a guide to making the Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro+ work on my Asus board it would be helpful. I have not found one that works for me yet. Or if you know why this is never going to work for me, that info would be appreciated as well.

I’m pretty frustrated and I might just sell the system altogether and fork over for a real Mac, or I might try swapping for another motherboard or AMD-GPU if another one would be better. Please let me know if you have any clues or if you’ve gotten one of these to work for you.

Cheers!

There has been a lot written on this that I have read in the forum, but nothing has fixed it for me yet.....I have been trying to use my Sapphire Radeon Vega 64 Nitro+ in MacOS Mojave 10.14, and I get inevitable screen freezes. Here are the main “behaviors” I see:

1. Screen freezes (with a moveable mouse and ongoing audio playback if it was already playing prior to freezing) that end occasionally on their own and return to normal functioning, but usually end with either me powering down the system, with the system rebooting spontaneously, or with the system logging me out to the login screen.

2. This behavior happens most readily when I try to run FCPX (my main reason for building a Hackintosh with an AMD card) but it can happen without and inevitably will sooner or later.

3. I have had the same behavior with other AMD cards (I ran both single and dual Sapphire 280x Vapor-X cards) on this and other motherboard combos, but never this bad.

4. I have tried to set up my system in tons of different ways! i.e., with Lilu.kext (and without), with whatevergreen.kext (and without), and with a few other graphics directed kextx (and without). I have tried with a very minimalistic config.plist in the EFI folder and with config.plists with countless flags and kext patches to fix things as others have found to work. I have even tried the intricate process of setting up my system with both the integrated intel-GPU and my discrete AMD-GPU together at the same time, but I could never boot up with the intel-GPU enabled in the BIOS.

So, I’m willing to upload my EFI and IO files again if someone thinks they can help more by seeing those, but if anyone knows of a guide to making the Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro+ work on my Asus board it would be helpful. I have not found one that works for me yet. Or if you know why this is never going to work for me, that info would be appreciated as well.

I’m pretty frustrated and I might just sell the system altogether and fork over for a real Mac, or I might try swapping for another motherboard or AMD-GPU if another one would be better. Please let me know if you have any clues or if you’ve gotten one of these to work for you.

Cheers!

Post you EFI folder we can take a look.

Here is a SSDT you could try in Clover/ACPI/patched folder. It may get you the proper Framebuffer. One other question is what is your power supply wattage rating?

SSDT-Inject FB Name For Vega 56 or 64.zip

Attachments

• SSDT-Inject FB Name For Vega 56 or 64.zip
    5.1 KB · Views: 813
One other question is what is your power supply wattage rating?

I definitely don’t think I am underpowered....I have a 1000W power supply.

Here is a SSDT you could try in Clover/ACPI/patched folder. It may get you the proper Framebuffer.

SSDT-Inject FB Name For Vega 56 or 64.zip

Thanks a lot!! That’s the most hopeful thing I’ve heard yet! So I’ll place that file in that folder and see what happens. I’ll try to upload the EFI soon, but do I need any special kexts, or any flags or patches on my config.plist for that SSDT to work?

Here is a SSDT you could try in Clover/ACPI/patched folder. It may get you the proper framebuffer.
I don’t want to bite off more than I can chew here, but if the SSDT helps, would that help my system boot with the iGPU enabled with the AMD Vega cars installed? Any idea why that would always make a boot hang?

I don’t want to bite off more than I can chew here, but if the SSDT helps, would that help my system boot with the iGPU enabled with the AMD Vega cars installed? Any idea why that would always make a boot hang?

The ssdt should only set the correct framebuffer there are two to test separately. Kamarang and Iriri. The long boot could be many things we can check later with the EFI settings.

Thanks for your generous assistance, GigaMaxx....I’ll have the EFI uploaded in a couple of hours with a report of how the SSDT worked out.

Well, I have good news. I added the SSDT and my system was running stable for almost an hour with FCPX running constantly! But then, I rebooted, and it went back to freezing again. I also stopped being able to pull up the EFI partition with Clover Configurator for some reason?!? Does it have something to do with APFS?

Here is the EFI:

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    21.6 MB · Views: 291
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back