Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Screen Freezes using Sapphire Radeon Vega 64 Nitro+ in MacOS Mojave 10.14

Status
Not open for further replies.
mine freezes when in system prefs tried to change screen saver. Tried three times, always system freezes except mouse

Go to the search tool and look up success with Asus and 8700k or whatever your cpu is and check out the guides.
It’s basically setting the right bios settings and also clover ig platform inject intel and device ID. Somebset IGPU for full support and some only use partial enable to get fcpx to work without crashes.
Ok, thank you!! I did what you mentioned. In fact, I took some advice from a couple of people who’ve successfully gotten AMD GPUs and i7 7700k processor IGPUs (Intel HD 630) to work on ASUS motherboards. In both instances, I can get the IGPU to boot as primary (without the Vega card installed in the slot), but as soon as I install the Vega card and enable the iGPU Iinnthe BIOS (as either primary or secondary the the Vega), I get an error that looks like a Kernal loading error/AptioMemoryFix errors right after I choose my OSX boot drive in Clover. So, instinctively, I tried the other AptioMemoryFix-64.efi drivers in the EFI/Clover/Drivers64UEFI (such as OSXAptioFix2Drv-64.efi, OSXAptioFix2Drv-64.efi, etc.), but I got the same boot hang. Looks like a prohibit sign (no smoking sign) with out Verbose. With verbose it looks like image file below.

Any idea what I need to change to get the boot to go through? Thanks for any help!!

Attachments

• BA709029-7064-4320-B49A-19027B304FEF.jpeg
    BA709029-7064-4320-B49A-19027B304FEF.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 171
Ok, thank you!! I did what you mentioned. In fact, I took some advice from a couple of people who’ve successfully gotten AMD GPUs and i7 7700k processor IGPUs (Intel HD 630) to work on ASUS motherboards. In both instances, I can get the IGPU to boot as primary (without the Vega card installed in the slot), but as soon as I install the Vega card and enable the iGPU Iinnthe BIOS (as either primary or secondary the the Vega), I get an error that looks like a Kernal loading error/AptioMemoryFix errors right after I choose my OSX boot drive in Clover. So, instinctively, I tried the other AptioMemoryFix-64.efi drivers in the EFI/Clover/Drivers64UEFI (such as OSXAptioFix2Drv-64.efi, OSXAptioFix2Drv-64.efi, etc.), but I got the same boot hang. Looks like a prohibit sign (no smoking sign) with out Verbose. With verbose it looks like image file below.

Any idea what I need to change to get the boot to go through? Thanks for any help!!

If using aptiomemoryfix or the others you should only have one at a time in the Drivers64efi folder. If there are more than one it can cause issues. Check to see that you removed the others or have only one fix in there.

If using aptiomemoryfix or the others you should only have one at a time in the Drivers64efi folder. If there are more than one it can cause issues. Check to see that you removed the others or have only one fix in there.
Yes, I was definitely aware on the one at a time rule on AptioMemoryFix and the like in the Drivers64efi folder, and I am 99% sure I only had one. AptioMemoryFix-64.efi has always been the one that worked with this board every other time, including using the iGPU solo. Would the addition of the iGPU to the Vega or other AMD GPU necessitate a change in this driver or could it be some other config that is hanging the boot?

Probably something else. It’s hanging at the prelinkedkernel loading stage. Try hitting space bar select verbose and single user. Follow prompts if you get to root#.
Ok, I’ll give it a try.

@patrickfogle,

I think you need enable the IGPU in your BIOS but set the primary display adapter to the DGPU (AMD) then configure whatevergreen to inject a headless ig-platform-id for the IGPU. This is how all real macs are configured, IE Displays are only connected to the DGPU and no displays are connected to the IGPU.

The headless ig-platform-id informs MacOS that the IGPU is enabled but no displays are connected, this is very important for a stable system, it is also very important to use a supported dual GPU system definition. Headless id's and the associated sys def's are covered in the whatevergreen section of this guide :-

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/an-idiots-guide-to-lilu-and-its-plug-ins.260063/

Hope this helps
Cheers
Jay

@patrickfogle,

I think you need enable the IGPU in your BIOS but set the primary display adapter to the DGPU (AMD) then configure whatevergreen to inject a headless ig-platform-id for the IGPU. This is how all real macs are configured, IE Displays are only connected to the DGPU and no displays are connected to the IGPU.

The headless ig-platform-id informs MacOS that the IGPU is enabled but no displays are connected, this is very important for a stable system, it is also very important to use a supported dual GPU system definition. Headless id's and the associated sys def's are covered in the whatevergreen section of this guide :-

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/an-idiots-guide-to-lilu-and-its-plug-ins.260063/

Hope this helps
Cheers
Jay
Ok great. I’ll give that a shot. Is the SMBIOS Profile (machine type like iMac14,2 or iMac18,3) going to matter too? Which one should I choose for an i7 7700k on an ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero motherboard?

Ok great. I’ll give that a shot. Is the SMBIOS Profile (machine type like iMac14,2 or iMac18,3) going to matter too? Which one should I choose for an i7 7700k on an ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero motherboard?

Yes, as I said you must use the correct system definition (SMBIOS) for your system when using a dual GPU configuration.

Cheers
Jay

Yes, as I said you must use the correct system definition (SMBIOS) for your system when using a dual GPU configuration.

Cheers
Jay
Oh, I see...sorry. You did already say that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back