Contribute
Register

[Success] SCQ's Intel NUC DC3217BY (CLOVER/El Capitan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobodynose

Motherboard
ASRock Z370M Pro4
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. iMac
  3. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I agree the formatting is all messed up and makes it really hard to follow.

The OP has been cleaned up and the formatting corrected. The garbled formatting and missing images were a result of the site's changeover to the new forum software. Thank you for your patience.

Very sorry, accidentally posted this to the wrong thread.

Last edited:
Hello SQC, Many thanks for this great tutorial.
I am getting a USB stick ready to be able to install OSX on my NUC when I get home.
The thing is that the link in your tutorial to the El Capitan Post install Tools is dead.
After some googleling I did find Clover_v2.3k_r3320-UEFI.pkg. Do you happen to know I this would work or do I need the r3270?
And if so do you know where I could get it?

Thanks in advance,

Martijn.

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
I am getting a USB stick ready to be able to install OSX on my NUC when I get home.
The thing is that the link in your tutorial to the El Capitan Post install Tools is dead.
After some googleling I did find Clover_v2.3k_r3320-UEFI.pkg. Do you happen to know I this would work or do I need the r3270?
And if so do you know where I could get it?
You can use the latest version (or a more recent version) of Clover to boot the NUC and run OS X El Capitan. Today the latest version of Clover is v2.3 r3716. The official page is here.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/

When you install, you have the option of installing for UEFI boot only, or a legacy boot. I installed UEFI only. (The previous version you were looking for was an installer modified for UEFI boot, but you can do this yourself by customising the installer and selecting the UEFI boot options.)

The additional files provided by SCQ include ethernet kexts which I did not use. The only kext that is essential to booting the DC3217BY (with Thunderbolt) is Fake SMC.kext.

I created a USB installer using a Mac with El Capitan, and the latest version of UniBeast. This version let me install and boot into 10.11.6 with the USB still inserted and providing Clover boot.

Post-install, there were a couple of things I had to do before I could get to the desktop. When I used Clover Configurator, the AsusAICPUPM option needed to be ticked before I could boot 10.11.6, because of kernel panics related to CPU power management in my SSDT tables.

My instructions here are very incomplete, but hopefully get you a step closer to booting your NUC with Clover and running El Capitan.

Motherboard
NUC DC 3217BY
CPU
i3
Graphics
intel4000
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
macos sierra, anyone?
do you think it's safe just to update?

I have DC3217BY Nuc and I would love to be able to have OS X on it. But now that Sierra is out, I cant download El Capitan from the app store. I have a friends Macbook Pro for a couple of days that I can use to run Unibeast. I have a downloaded copy of El Capitan 10.11.4 dmg with me. How can I proceed?

I am a total newbie with regards to hackintosh, so please guide me.

SCQ

Motherboard
NUC DC3217BY (D33217CK - i3 3217u)
CPU
Core i3
Graphics
HD4000 integrated
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
macos sierra, anyone?
do you think it's safe just to update?

I've updated the NUC to Sierra using the App Store successfully following the advice in this post
Direct Update to macOS Sierra using Clover
Read it first.

You need to make sure that you update Clover Configurator to the latest version first. Run Clover Configurator. On the menu (top left) hit update Clover... Then run Clover and Mount the EFI (bottom left). After you've mounted EFI then select the Update option in the bottom left of the Clover Configurator window. This will update the boot loader of your machine. After the update completes, save, then reboot.

After rebooting, enable viewing of all hidden files in Finder.
  1. Open Terminal (Finder > Applications > Utilities>Terminal)
  2. In Terminal, paste the following: defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES
  3. killall Finder

Then mount the your EFI partition using Clover Configurator. If you have problems mounting the EFI download EFI Mounter v3

When you have the EFI mounted..In Finder, open INSERT NAME OF YOUR MAIN DRIVE\Library\Extensions -- a folder that was hidden before -- copy and paste *all* the kexts in this folder into the EFI\Clover\Kexts\Other directory.

Reboot, then run the Sierra update from the App Store. Performing these steps successfully installed 10.12 on my DC3217BY.

For some reason, on first boot I had no sound, but a further reboot fixed this (No idea why?).

I've had some issues with the wireless keyboard and trackpad not waking the mac from sleep and then not being able to be connected at all following a restart. It may be a USB related issue. I say may be a USB issue as I have had the same intermittent issues with 10.11. If anyone could shed any light on this I'd be grateful for any help.

Good luck :)

SCQ

Motherboard
NUC DC3217BY (D33217CK - i3 3217u)
CPU
Core i3
Graphics
HD4000 integrated
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have DC3217BY Nuc and I would love to be able to have OS X on it. But now that Sierra is out, I cant download El Capitan from the app store. I have a friends Macbook Pro for a couple of days that I can use to run Unibeast. I have a downloaded copy of El Capitan 10.11.4 dmg with me. How can I proceed?

I am a total newbie with regards to hackintosh, so please guide me.

You should be able to Download El Capitan from the App Store on a Mac. If you go to the "Purchased" tab it's likely to be listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.