I5-6600K
Graphics
GTX 1070
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,
As a complete noob to hackintoshing, I'm pretty proud of myself for getting this working. Here's some details of the build.
It should be noted that if you are also a new hackintosher, you should really look into this fantastic guide written by morpheousman, it's what I used for most of this build.

Hardware
- Mobo: e93839 ga0402 (stock optiplex)
- CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (stock optiplex)
- Graphics: Asus NVIDIA GT 740
- Memory: 12GB of assorted 1333MHz DDR3
-
Case: Dell Optiplex 780 (stock optiplex)
- WIFI: EDUP EP-N8508GS USB dongle
- Bluetooth: An unbranded USB Bluetooth dongle - I bought it here.
- Storage: Seagate Barracuda 320GB HDD

Installation
I followed the previously mentioned guide using their recommended graphics card - The Ati Radeon HD5450 - since I had one lying around anyway.
GRAPHICS:
After following the guide and making sure everything worked, I downloaded the appropriate NVIDIA web driver based on this post which, for me, was the 346.03.10f02. Installation was a breeze, no issues.
Next, I went into /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched and swapped out the DSDT for the "generic" DSDT, also provided by the guide.
Then, I reopened my clover config from /EFI/EFI/CLOVER. I added the nvda_drv=1 boot arg, and I generated new SMBIOS for an iMac13,1. Note: If you are planning on recreating this build with a Haswell CPU, you should use iMac14,2 instead to avoid power management issues.
Finally, I went into /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11/USB_Injector.kext/contents and opened the info.plist. I replaced all occurrences of "iMac10,1" with "iMac13,1". Again, if you were to use a Haswell CPU, you would use iMac14,2 rather than iMac13,1.
I shut down the computer, replaced the HD5450 with the GT 740, and booted up again.
WIFI:
This success was certainly unexpected. I downloaded the RealTek RTL8188CUS driver for OS X 10.8 from this website (dead link. Alt here), installed, and rebooted. Simple as that. For those of you unfamiliar with using USB wifi dongles, the only downside is having to turn it on via an app every boot. The app was installed by the driver installer, and it launches on boot automatically anyway, so I don't really mind.
Bluetooth:
Another unexpected success, I never normally trust unbranded hardware. No additional drivers were needed, the dongle works perfectly OOB plug and play. Definitely recommended.

What works
Audio and graphics run without any issues, all of my USB plugs are functional.
Wifi and bluetooth work great, and imessages is working without issues too.

Issues
Sleep: Display sleep is fine, but computer sleep prevents the computer from waking. Working on a fix.

What I haven't tested
- Facetime
- Audio over HDMI
- Wake from sleep over bluetooth
All of these things are reportedly working, according to the guide I followed for most of the build. If I get a chance to test any of these, I'll update this post.

Conclusion
A fantastically easy build, especially if you're planning on using an HD5450 for graphics. Everything I can think of should be working, and I only have morpheousman to thank for that. Again, if there are any newbies out there reading this post, this was an almost issue-less installation, and Optiplex 780s are really cheap!

Last edited:
Hi there!

About WIFI, isnt available anymore the download in the link.

WIFI:
This success was certainly unexpected. I downloaded the RealTek RTL8188CUS driver for OS X 10.8 from this website, installed, and rebooted. Simple as that. For those of you unfamiliar with using USB wifi dongles, the only downside is having to turn it on via an app every boot. The app was installed by the driver installer, and it launches on boot automatically anyway, so I don't really mind.

Hiya, thanks for reporting.
I googled 'RTL8188CUS osx download' and got this immediately:
I Tried download directaly from the EDUP website but ALL DOWNLOADS are offline... and they dont have a mail to support!

Worked fine! THANKS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back