Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] RED Pro (Haswell mATX): GA-Z87MX-D3H – i7 4770K – Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti Windforce OC – 32GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z97
CPU
4,5GHz Intel Core i7-4770K
Graphics
EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
RED Pro (Haswell mATX): GA-Z87MX-D3H – i7 4770K – Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti Windforce OC – 32GB RAM

Koubi's RED Pro: GA-Z87MX-D3H – i7 4770K – Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti Windforce OC – 32GB RAM

[video=youtube_share;luOaxJXi2-U]http://youtu.be/luOaxJXi2-U[/video]

Components

MOTHERBOARD
Gigabyte Z87MX-D3H Intel Z87 So.1150 Dual Channel DDR3 mATX

CPU
Intel Core i7-4770K

CPU COOLER
Phanteks PH-TC14PE

GPU
3GB Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 Ti Windforce 3X OC Active PCIe 3.0 x16

RAM
32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RED DDR3-2133DIMM CL11

STORAGE
240GB Crucial M500 2.5" (6.4cm) SATA 6Gb/s
&
1000GB Seagate Desktop HDD ST1000DM003 64MB 3.5" (8.9cm) SATA 6Gb/s

POWER SUPPLY
Fractal Design Tesla R2 650W, 80 PLUS Gold

CASE
AeroCool DS Cube RED with window (mATX)

CASE FANS
Cooler Master MegaFlow - 200 mm - 700 rpm - 19 dB - Red LED
&
Prolimatech Red Vortex 140mm - 1000rpm - 18 dB – Red LED

DISPLAY
23" (58,42cm) AOC i2367Fm black/silver 1920x1080 2xHDMI/VGA

BLUETOOTH ADAPTER
LogiLink USB Micro Bluetooth Adapter (V4.0)

KEYBOARD
Apple Wired Keyboard

MOUSE
E-Blue Cobra II 1600DPI 6 Buttons Wired Optical LED Gaming Game Mouse – Red LED

TRACKPAD
Logitech Rechargeable Trackpad Touchpad for Mac

LED
Red LED Strips (60cm)

Comments

I work in the field of graphic design, web design, photography and video production so I need lots of power when it comes to my computer. I also game a little bit. I used to have an iMac but I realized that wasn't enough so I decided to make my own Mac. This is my first Hackintosh build.

OSX Yosemite Update:

1. Downloaded OSX Yosemite and created a Unibeast stick
  2. Loaded optimized defaults in BIOS. Changed the XMP profile to “Profile 1”
  3. Booted from the Unibeast USB stick with boot flag: nv_disable=1 (because of my GPU)
  4. Once the OSX Yosemite installer screen popped up, went to Disk Utility and formatted the SSD
  5. Quit Disk Utility and installed OSX Yosemite to SSD
  6. Somehow my Crucial SSD always gives the boot0 error so it needs a fix. After the OSX Yosemite install I booted from USB again (with nv_disable=1) and did this: Once the OSX Yosemite installer popped up again, opened Disk Utility -> selected the SSD and unmounted it -> closed Disk Utility and opened Terminal -> command: dd if=/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/disk0s2 -> closed Terminal and opened Disk Utility again -> selected the SSD and mounted it.
  7. Once the boot0 error fix was applied, I booted from SSD (with nv_disable=1) into a fresh copy of OSX Yosemite
  8. Added the Multibeast settings and rebooted the machine. Booted from SSD (with nv_disable=1) into Yosemite
  9. Downloaded the Nvidia web drivers and installed them. Rebooted the machine
  10. System Preferences -> NVIDIA Driver Manager -> Selected the Nvidia drivers. Also added the kernel flag: nvda_drv=1 into org.chameleon.Boot.plist file.
  11. Rebooted the machine and got a black screen. In order to fix this I had to go to the BIOS and disable the Intel processor graphics
  12. Installed CUDA drivers
  13. Voilà!

Post Installation

Here's my org.chameleon.Boot.plist file:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>GenerateCStates</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>GeneratePStates</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>Graphics Mode</key>
    <string>&quot;1920x1080x32&quot;</string>
    <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
    <string>No</string>
    <key>HDAEnabler</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>HDEFLayoutID</key>
    <string>01000000</string>
    <key>IGPEnabler</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>Kernel Flags</key>
    <string>kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1</string>
    <key>Legacy Logo</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>Timeout</key>
    <string>2</string>
    <key>UseKernelCache</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I have GraphicsEnabler=No and Kernel Flags=nvda_drv=1 in my org.chameleon.Boot.plist file because of the 780 Ti graphics card. First I was using 780 Ti with the stock OSX drivers but afterwards installed the Nvidia web drivers and CUDA drivers.

Disabled “wake on LAN” setting in BIOS. Sometimes my computer waked up after being shut down. Disabling this setting fixed the problem.

“CUDA update required” message. I disabled this message like this:

1) Installed the latest NVIDIA Webdrivers
2) Rebooted with <string>kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1</string>
3) Installed the latest CUDA for Mac
4) Reboot
5) Changed NVIDIA Web Driver to OS X Default Graphics Driver (this changes <string>kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1</string> to <string>kext-dev-mode=1</string>)
6) Reboot
7) Changed NVIDIA Default Graphics Driver to NVIDIA Web Driver
8) Rebooted with <string>kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1</string>
http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...e-graphics-drivers-10-10-1-343-01-02-a-3.html

Updated BIOS to the latest. I had some serious boot problems when I installed the OSX Mavericks for the very first time. The computer went to boot loop, didn’t sleep etc. The problem was the BIOS version.

My CPU is overclocked to 4,2 GHz at 1,24V. Memory run at 2133 MHz. These are my stable settings. I ran Prime 95 torture test for a couple hours and extreme max temperatures were around 82-90 degrees celcius. I also tried the most extreme and managed to overclock my system to 4,8 GHz at 1,34V (this is far beoynd the stable settings). Geekbench scores are below.

MultiBeast Settings

Multibeast_2014-12-11.png
Thanks to Tony. Used pretty much the same settings with a few extra ones.

Benchmarks

geekbench_new.png
Geekbench 3, 64-bit (stable overclock, 24/7)

geekbench_overclocked.jpg
Geekbench 3, 64-bit (extreme overclock, experimental)

Heaven_2_Nvidia_Drivers.png
Unigine Heaven – 3GB Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti Windforce OC graphics at 1080p

cinebench.jpg
Cinebench

Shoutouts

Thanks for checking out my build! Huge shoutout to TonyMac for making all this possible. Also thanks to FrankPr, Mbar97 and TonyMac of course, for their interesting builds.

Attachments

• RED_Pro_new.jpg
    RED_Pro_new.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 371
  • Screen Shot 2014-05-25 at 17.30.25.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-25 at 17.30.25.png
    801 KB · Views: 398
  • geekbench.jpg
    geekbench.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 310
  • REDPRO.jpg
    REDPRO.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 392
Last edited by a moderator:
Did you have any trouble getting the GTX 780Ti to work?

Great build.

Thanks!

I didn't have any problems with the card. I have GraphicsEnabler=No in my org.chameleon.Boot.plist file and that's pretty much it. First I was using 780 Ti with the stock OSX drivers but afterwards installed the Nvidia web drivers (331.01.01f04) + CUDA drivers (6.0.37).

Hi
I have same build as you but in final i got, nvidia Ashley lol? What is this? how do you manage to get 780ti in about this Mac?
Thanks

Thanks for sharing Koubi.
I am on a 3770k but can't get my new asus 780ti to boot. It freezes as gigabyte motherboard screen.
I tried your exact multibeast config, but that gave me a kernel panic at apple logo.
I am on OS X 10.9.2 (13C1021) with Nvidia Web drivers 331.01.01f04 and can't boot even with web drivers enabled.
Any advice on getting this new 780ti going? I am 5 days into this and can't get a break!

Ok so I just needed to wait like 30 seconds and it booted up. On my 660ti it boot past that screen in like 3 seconds so I wasn't prepared to wait that long.

Ok good! Yeah and it's also important that these are in org.chameleon.Boot.plist -file:
  • GraphicsEnabler = No
  • If Nvidia's web drivers -> Kernel Flags = nvda_drv=1

My org.chameleon.Boot.plist -file:

Screen Shot 2014-05-14 at 10.46.09.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back