Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] RED Pro (Haswell mATX): GA-Z87MX-D3H – i7 4770K – Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti Windforce OC – 32GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am building a new system based on the GA Z79X-UD5H motherboard and a GA GTX 780ti and cannot for the life of me get it working properly. I installed Mavericks 10.9.3, ran multibeast (matched your settings), loaded nvida drivers 334.0.1.01f01 - but can only boot into safe mode with stuttery graphics. I also cannot open the Nvidia Driver Manager panel in system preferences or install the CUDA drivers.

any idea what i can try? i've been trying different combos of boot flags all day and getting no where

Try reading all the comments matching "780 Ti" on this thread:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/418-os-x-10-9-3-update/comments25.html#comments
That's what I'll do if I'm going to update to 10.9.3. Also I'll clone my hard drive so that I got my previous setup stored.

I read the thread through and found a couple good comments concerning your issue. But these are not my solutions so keep that in mind if you decide to try them. If you don't find a solution you could try to install 10.9.2 instead of 10.9.3.

Have you fixed the problem yet?

FunnyGames93:

Anyways, I installed nVidia drivers (web), and added the nvda=1 flag, now it boots without -v flag. Which is what I wanted.

Shelkagar:

Fix to 10.9.3 + Newer Nvidia Cards only returning black screen (e.g. 780ti):

Problem: Updated to 10.9.3 and still get black screens no matter which boot flags you enter. Assuming you already had the nvidia web driver installed (NVIDIA Releases Alternate Graphics Drivers for 10.9.3 (334.01.01f01)) but could not update while still being on 10.9.2.

Solution:

• In bootloader enter: -s
  • wait until it says ":/root" and you can enter commands
  • (if it complains to wait for geforce sensors or something, give it a few extra time)
  • enter: mount -uw / and hit enter
  • enter: cd /System/Library/Extensions and hit enter
  • enter: mv NV* / and hit enter
  • enter: exit
  • Reboot
  • In bootloader enter: nvda_drv=0
  • (we want to overwrite anything contrary you may have entered in your boot.cfg)
  • You should now be in mavericks again but with a ****ty resolution because the gfx driver is not running
  • Go to nvidia control panel and update to 334.01.01f01 which you couldn't do before 10.9.3.
  • It will also whine about old cuda drivers, so go ahead and also update those.

My config:
Geforce 780ti
Gigabyte-UD5H
Monitor attached via display port and working like a charm.

Hope this helps!

Nvidia Driver Not Saving.png
Thanks!

I didn't have any problems with the card. I have GraphicsEnabler=No in my org.chameleon.Boot.plist file and that's pretty much it. First I was using 780 Ti with the stock OSX drivers but afterwards installed the Nvidia web drivers (331.01.01f04) + CUDA drivers (6.0.37).

Hi Koubi, thanks for your guide, I followed your instructions and i think everything's working but there's one thing that bugs me very much.

I think my system is running the Nvidia Web Driver but inside my System Preferences -> Nvidia Driver Manager; and on the Menu Bar, the system shows as using OSX Default Driver.

I believe the system is already on Nvidia's Web Driver cos my Preview no longer crash and i did some benchmarks earlier on. Or is there another way to verify?

And is it normal that the Driver Manager will not show it is using Nvidia Web Driver but OSX's by default, even though it is? It bugs me cos it makes me think that something might be wrong in my hack build.

Please advice :)
Thank you very much!!

Hi Koubi, thanks for your guide, I followed your instructions and i think everything's working but there's one thing that bugs me very much.

I think my system is running the Nvidia Web Driver but inside my System Preferences -> Nvidia Driver Manager; and on the Menu Bar, the system shows as using OSX Default Driver.

I believe the system is already on Nvidia's Web Driver cos my Preview no longer crash and i did some benchmarks earlier on. Or is there another way to verify?

And is it normal that the Driver Manager will not show it is using Nvidia Web Driver but OSX's by default, even though it is? It bugs me cos it makes me think that something might be wrong in my hack build.

Please advice :)
Thank you very much!!

Hmmm this is strange. Never had a bug like this. Maybe you should update to the latest Nvidia web driver and if it's not working, a clean install can definitely fix the problem. Maybe there are many fixes before installing OSX again.

Updated to 10.10.2 with no problems (via App Store). Repaired disk permissions before and after the update.

In Multibeast: Re-enabled TRIM support (since the new update disables it) and installed audio drivers. I also had to install USB 3.0 again because my external hard drive freezed the whole system once connected.

Installed the latest NVIDIA & CUDA drivers and they work just fine.

Noticed that reboot takes some more time but it doesn't bother me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back