Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

hi jan2ooo my Geekbench = OpenCL 126381 and Metal = 148506

Hi guys,

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I say this as a paying GB5 user, and after using it for a while I don't think the results are very consistent or reliable. Since the tests are so quick, it's useful if you're playing around with the PPTs or overclocking because the scores are all relative to your baseline, but for comparing to other's in their database, I don't really think it's useful.

I don't know what is going on with these 73AF cards either. My scores are similar to yours. And when I boot over to the Windows side, they are higher. Interestingly, when I fire up Parallels on my MacOS (Windows 11), then run GB5, my scores get better.

There are other benchmarking programs that are more consistent, but they don't have the same type of database that GB5 does. Unigene Heaven is pretty good.

Ted

Metal - with Parallels running:
Metal - Parallels.jpg

OpenCL - with Parallels running:
OpenCL - Parallels.jpg

Metal - normal
Metal.jpg

OpenCL - normal
OpenCL.jpg

Last edited:
Here some more result from unigine heaven

FPS:
Score:
Min FPS:
Max FPS:
Platform: Darwin 21.3.0 x86_64
CPU model: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900K @ 3.50GHz (3503MHz) x16
GPU model: Radeon RX 6900 XT (XTXH) (16384MB) x1

Render: OpenGL
Mode: 3840x2160 fullscreen
Preset Custom
Quality Ultra
Tessellation: Extreme

Here some more result from unigine heaven

FPS:
Score:
Min FPS:
Max FPS:
Platform: Darwin 21.3.0 x86_64
CPU model: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900K @ 3.50GHz (3503MHz) x16
GPU model: Radeon RX 6900 XT (XTXH) (16384MB) x1

Preset Custom
Quality Ultra

The true advantage of this card is that you can overclock it, but to do so, it's a fairly involve procedure of going into Windows and using a 3rd party program to generate a new PPT that you have to flash into one of the BIOS slots. In addition, to really overclock it, they say to go to liquid cooling. I'm not sure I need to play with it yet. Over on the Windows side, the stock card handles every game I throw at it. I'm not on the cutting edge of gaming, so I'm quite happy with the performance.

This is just speculation on my part, but I believe that with Big Sur, Apple might be throttling the graphics cards so that they can control the power consumption in the iMacs, where these cards will be found. They probably don't want users complaining about the heat, or maybe because the card is so close to the monitor, they want to control the amount of heat so that it doesn't damage the monitor. (Edit: scratch that! I see that the 6900's are for the Mac Pros. I'll take off my tin-foil hat ... for now...). It's either that or there is some inefficiency with the MacOS, the AMD Radeon drivers are tweaked for maximum operation in Windows, or a combination of all these factors. Bottom line is that I have this card for gaming, and most of my GPU-intensive gaming is over on my Windows boot. So I don't really worry that much about the benchmarks on the Mac side.

Last edited:

Preset Custom

Quality Ultra

Could you list all your settings (Anti Aliasing for example)?

Help me set up everything I tried, the 6900xt card does not work well

4534.png

43534.png

4535.png
4543.png
66435.png
3543.png

SSDT
This is what I got, I don't know if it's correct or not.

DefinitionBlock ("", "SSDT", 2, "ACDT", "BRG0", 0x00000000)
{
External (_SB_.PCI0.GPP8.SWUS.SWDS, DeviceObj)

Scope (\_SB.PCI0.GPP8.SWUS.SWDS)
{
Device (BRG0)
{
Name (_ADR, Zero) // _ADR: Address
Device (GFX0)
{
Name (_ADR, Zero) // _ADR: Address
}
}
}
}

Attachments

• 4535.png
    4535.png
    48.9 KB · Views: 62
Noticed you're using 12.3 beta. For me, the latest beta of 12.3, my GB scores took a huge dive, less than half of what they were before. Did you try on 12.2?

Noticed you're using 12.3 beta. For me, the latest beta of 12.3, my GB scores took a huge dive, less than half of what they were before. Did you try on 12.2?
no, I haven’t been, my screensaver still slows down, but I noticed when I set up usb ports the screensaver doesn’t slow down anymore, but the Internet disappears and I can’t measure the speed of the card

I'm telling you guys, Apple is throttling these cards ....

For some reason, they disabled mattystonnie's and CMMChris' hacks to speed up the Radeons during the transition from Catalina to Big Sur. It wouldn't surprise me if they said, "why do you need that much speed? We think you should be more energy efficient!"

All jokes aside, did you try another benchmark program? Maybe try Unigene Heaven and see if the scores are comparable to zappy39's. I can try running it tonight if you're interested.

I'm telling you guys, Apple is throttling these cards ....

For some reason, they disabled mattystonnie's and CMMChris' hacks to speed up the Radeons during the transition from Catalina to Big Sur. It wouldn't surprise me if they said, "why do you need that much speed? We think you should be more energy efficient!"

All jokes aside, did you try another benchmark program? Maybe try Unigene Heaven and see if the scores are comparable to zappy39's. I can try running it tonight if you're interested.
now I'm installing the program, and I'll test it) there is a link to the program or the name to compare the result

Back