Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

I just want to share an observation I made with my XFX RX 6900XT. I always had random graphic freezes and shorter hangs with this card. I tested on two different Z390 boards. It got worse lately. I was running a iMacPro or macPro smbios without iGPU when these freezes happened.

I switched back to iMac19,1 with headless iGPU and all the problems were gone.

I was having freezes wth a 6900XT too, and it was worse on imac 19,1 with IGPU vs imacpro without igpu. but the diagnosis of the freezes finally actually determined that it was caused by intel power gadget's lapic interrupt hook for it's performance metrics. What this had to do with GPU, well they are all interconnected, cpu and gpu communicate directly through PCI lanes and lapic responses so these hooks can destabalize entire kernel.

I contacted author of intel power gadget through their contact email and their response was basically "uninstall it and forget it, because we're never updating it again anyways" (in more words, but basically yes kill it with fire if using it at all, it'll only get worse as macOS gets updates).

I was having freezes wth a 6900XT too, and it was worse on imac 19,1 with IGPU vs imacpro without igpu. but the diagnosis of the freezes finally actually determined that it was caused by intel power gadget's lapic interrupt hook for it's performance metrics. What this had to do with GPU, well they are all interconnected, cpu and gpu communicate directly through PCI lanes and lapic responses so these hooks can destabalize entire kernel.

I contacted author of intel power gadget through their contact email and their response was basically "uninstall it and forget it, because we're never updating it again anyways" (in more words, but basically yes kill it with fire if using it at all, it'll only get worse as macOS gets updates).

You mean this one?: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/tool/power-gadget.html :shifty:

My Gigabyte Radeon RX 6600 XT Eagle 8GB works after upgrading to 12.1 beta. Using CaseySJ's oc 0.7.5 for z490 vision G (changed for smbios iMacPro1,1), using "agdpmod=pikera" boot-arg. :thumbup:
:eek::eek: I've been waiting to get my rx 6600 xt to work with mac os for a few months now. So you are saying it has GPU accelleration under Monterey and opencore 0.7.5? (with the correct bootarg of course)

:eek::eek: I've been waiting to get my rx 6600 xt to work with mac os for a few months now. So you are saying it has GPU accelleration under Monterey and opencore 0.7.5? (with the correct bootarg of course)
Yes, 12.1 beta included drivers for 6600 xt. It will not work on 12.0.1.

It’s been running on my system for 3 days now.

Yes, 12.1 beta included drivers for 6600 xt. It will not work on 12.0.1.

It’s been running on my system for 3 days now.
WOW! Thank you for the fast answer! I will try installing 12.1

Yes. it won't be getting further updates. not after intel and apple's partnership soured. dev confirmed they are pulled off of it. when I sent the freeze/KP issue with it and my gpu, they basically said "just uninstall it, we don't support it anymore"

I do miss the cpu frequency stats and better temp stats in menu, but without intel power badget i can at least get approx temp off one of proximity sensors, and it's clear that if it's discontinued, it's probably only gonna get worse with macOS updates. Heck uninstalling it was recommended to me by vit, so that alone was reason enough.

Whether or not it's same issue as you, don't know. I'd need see the panic report you get after a freeze (upon reboot). assuming you have working nvram and panic dumps on reboots variables enabled on your hack.

Whether or not it's same issue as you, don't know. I'd need see the panic report you get after a freeze (upon reboot). assuming you have working nvram and panic dumps on reboots variables enabled on your hack.
I think my issue was unrelated because I still had hat gadget installed when the error was fixed by switching SMBIOS. My freeze was purely graphic. Sound and applications were still running when the screen froze (mouse wasn't frozen). My assumption is that some of the background work (DRM, quicklook) just hanged the GPU so offloading that to the IGPU was the fix. I gave up DRM but it's fine as I don't need it anyways.

The panic report after reboot was always just a watchdog timeout informing me that the GPU driver wasn't reacting anymore.

Thanks all contributors!

By using page 105
It really worked to flash the BIOS of a Nov 2021 edition of XFX RX 6900 XT MERC 319 Limited Black, per instruction.

After rebooting with agdpikera in boot arguments and recent WhateverGreen kext in OpenCore 0.75 the Monterey 12.0.1 is working with hardware acceleration.
The geekbench 5 score for openCl is around 30% lower than in windows, but i dont game in MACOS so thats OK.
The max Hz in 4k is only 108 Hz, versus 144 Hz in windows. (more annoying for me i really wanted the full 144HZ in MacOS....
But a great improvement compared to before the BIOS flash when i could not get acceleration to work at all.

Back