Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

Bought two new monitors and all works well with the new video card now. Seems my old monitors were just too old to play nicely with the 6900... Was time anyhow, those monitors were from 2009... Thanks for the help.

hi @taconugget :)

you have this graphics card https://videocardz.net/sapphire-radeon-rx-6900-xt-16gb-nitro-special-edition? Is your device id 0x73bf or 0x73af? Did macOS boot out of the box without spoofing the chip id?

I ask because there have been discussions here in the thread about this graphics card and (at least to me) these questions have not been clearly answered yet.
This card worked out of the box for me. I didn’t need to change anything in my current EFI Folder. I was running a Sapphire Nitro+ RX 5700 XT prior to this. This model 6900 has 3 power connectors, x2 8pin and x1 6pin so make sure you have the proper cables from the PSU. It did not like my old 2009 DisplayPort Monitors and I had to purchase new monitors as well. Overall seems to be working well so far. Only on day one though ;)

deviceID.jpg

Last edited:
I bought and returned that card when I thought it would not work. What is your latest Geekbench metal score?
This card worked out of the box for me. I didn’t need to change anything in my current EFI Folder. I was running a Sapphire Nitro+ RX 5700 XT prior to this. This model 6900 has 3 power connectors, x2 8pin and x1 6pin so make sure you have the proper cables from the PSU. It did not like my old 2009 DisplayPort Monitors and I had to purchase new monitors as well. Overall seems to be working well so far. Only on day one though ;)

I bought and returned that card when I thought it would not work. What is your latest Geekbench metal score?
I feel like I could probably play with some settings an optimize this better but its on par with what Im seeing posted in this board. Im not sure what people are doing to get in the 200,000+ category, but they are usually MacPro users...

Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 6.01.59 PM.png

It should be doing better. I am getting 192K+ on a reference 6900XT on ryzen using imacpro1,1 OC 0.6.6
I am pretty happy with it. I want to see your score when you fully unleash that thing.

It was a 3 day ordeal getting it to work cause I had monitors it didn't like.... Right now I just want to use the card a little and then the tweeks will begin.

Just out of curiosity are you pushing 2 - 4K UHD monitors or one? I think this has something to do with the test results. Ive seen the test results sway from 168k-182k when running the tests so far... Once it get it going good I'll post some screens again.

It was a 3 day ordeal getting it to work cause I had monitors it didn't like.... Right now I just want to use the card a little and then the tweeks will begin.

Just out of curiosity are you pushing 2 - 4K UHD monitors or one? I think this has something to do with the test results. Ive seen the test results sway from 168k-182k when running the tests so far... Once it get it going good I'll post some screens again.
I have just 1 27" 2560x1440 144hz Acer monitor.

It should be doing better. I am getting 192K+ on a reference 6900XT on ryzen using imacpro1,1 OC 0.6.6
I am pretty happy with it. I want to see your score when you fully unleash that thing.

Well I have attempted all I know how to do to "unleash" this thing and I just cant get it to go any further. I have tried SMBIOS with iMac20,2 iMac19,1 iMacPro1,1 MacPro7,1. I have turned the internal GPU off and on. I have the latest WhateverGreen, along with the following BootArgs: keepsyms=1 debug=0x100 agdpmod=pikera alcid=11 shikigva=80. Highest i see is 182,000 on OC 0.7.1

Don't think it's a heat issues as the CPU stays around 36C. Unfortunately I cant get HWMonitorSMC2 to show GPU temp though. I tried the "Use the IOKit monitoring for GPUs" and restarted/rebooted and installed Intel Power Gadget as well... temps work fine in windows though...

Open to any other suggestions.

Thanks

Back