Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

Hey gang, been watching this thread since the start — was stoked to see driver support come around, but of course then there were no cards to be had. I'm an idiot and finally bought one from a scalper, because I apparently hate money and need to get rid of it right away.

I'm still running Catalina and a (by now) somewhat outdated OpenCore version. Current setup includes a 5700xt and WEG + agdpmod=pikera, SMBIOS iMac 19,1

I believe these will be my steps, please tell me if I have something wrong:

1) Update OpenCore to the latest stable release
2) Change SMBIOS to something else?? If so, do I need to generate a serial number to match?
3) Update Mac OS to Big Sur 11.4
4) bung in the new GPU and boot the whole thing up

I'm sure I've missed something.
Update: I did steps 1, 3, and 4. Booted with no complaints. We are Big Navi-ing; no problems found so far. (PowerColor Red Dragon 6800XT).

Hi all,

do you know if there is a fix coming soon or maybe already available to fix DSC in big sur and finely get 4K @ 144Hz? I got a brand new monitor yesterday hoping to fix a different issue and realised that in SwitchresX I can only get 4K 120Hz. After a few searches on the net, I found out that Apple broke DSC in big sur. Without DSC then you can't access 4k @ 144Hz. Apparently DSC used to work in Catalina.

Guys, I'm stuck. Managed to get my hands on a brand new 6800XT today and trying to upgrade my Hack. First problem I've hit is I can't get into the BIOS with the card plugged in, smashing the F2 / Del key just doesn't work. The card is powering on and driving the display okay. If I disconnect it and plug the display into the mobo I can get into the BIOS. Only thing I can think might be the problem is the BIOS firmware is from 2017 (ver.1003) but have never updated a BIOS before and don't want to break anything. Anyone got any advice, could it be something else i.e, is the card faulty perhaps?

• ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC)
• Powercooler Red Devil 6800XT

Guys, I'm stuck. Managed to get my hands on a brand new 6800XT today and trying to upgrade my Hack. First problem I've hit is I can't get into the BIOS with the card plugged in, smashing the F2 / Del key just doesn't work. The card is powering on and driving the display okay. If I disconnect it and plug the display into the mobo I can get into the BIOS. Only thing I can think might be the problem is the BIOS firmware is from 2017 (ver.1003) but have never updated a BIOS before and don't want to break anything. Anyone got any advice, could it be something else i.e, is the card faulty perhaps?

• ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC)
• Powercooler Red Devil 6800XT

You need to change your BIOS option to set the initial display to the PCIE slot, probably 1, that the card is plugged in to. It will currently be set to the integrated display (iGPU).

hey @CaseySJ would you tell us how it works with this MSI RX 6800 XT, i dont see it in your signature did you have any issue with it ?
if not what are yours settings with OC070
thanks by advance
Hello @odemolay,

Alas I have still not unboxed the 6800XT. I am waiting for 'something' to arrive before opening and using this card.

You need to change your BIOS option to set the initial display to the PCIE slot, probably 1, that the card is plugged in to. It will currently be set to the integrated display (iGPU).
Thanks. Under the graphics config. section I've tried switching from iGFX to Auto and to PEG, but still can't get into the BIOS when the card is plugged in.

EDIT: Installed Big Sur succesfully using the iGPU, when trying to boot with the card plugged in - the ROG start screen just hangs there. The card seems to be blocking the BIOS from doing anything. I suspect I may need to update the BIOS. Anyone else using this mobo, or a similar one, and a 6800/6900 with an older BIOS (ver. 1003 in my case)?

UPDATE: Fixed by enabling CSM. She's running :)

Last edited:
CSM should be disabled.

Hello @odemolay,

Alas I have still not unboxed the 6800XT. I am waiting for 'something' to arrive before opening and using this card.
thanks @CaseySJ for the response.
I'm looking for real information (that's so much money ... for the GPU)
I don't want to go wrong with a future purchase. as dortania has listed problems with MSI rx 5700 ...

I guess you are working or on Z590 vision D to try this card

anyway thank you for everything you did for hackintosh

thanks @CaseySJ for the response.
I'm looking for real information (that's so much money ... for the GPU)
I don't want to go wrong with a future purchase. as dortania has listed problems with MSI rx 5700 ...

I guess you are working or on Z590 vision D to try this card

anyway thank you for everything you did for hackintosh
Have you seen these posts earlier in this thread regarding the MSI 6800XT Gaming X Trio?

Back