Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

Hey gang, been watching this thread since the start — was stoked to see driver support come around, but of course then there were no cards to be had. I'm an idiot and finally bought one from a scalper, because I apparently hate money and need to get rid of it right away.

I'm still running Catalina and a (by now) somewhat outdated OpenCore version. Current setup includes a 5700xt and WEG + agdpmod=pikera, SMBIOS iMac 19,1

I believe these will be my steps, please tell me if I have something wrong:

1) Update OpenCore to the latest stable release
2) Change SMBIOS to something else?? If so, do I need to generate a serial number to match?
3) Update Mac OS to Big Sur 11.4
4) bung in the new GPU and boot the whole thing up

I'm sure I've missed something.
I think you can omit step 2. I’m running Big Sur with a RX6800 on iMac19,1 - didn’t change anything from when I was using my RX580 except to add agdpmod=pikera to the boot arguments. As you’re coming from a 5700XT, you already have that.

In that case, pretty sure you just need to update opencore, then update macOS. Then put your new card in and all should be well!

Hey gang, been watching this thread since the start — was stoked to see driver support come around, but of course then there were no cards to be had. I'm an idiot and finally bought one from a scalper, because I apparently hate money and need to get rid of it right away.

I'm still running Catalina and a (by now) somewhat outdated OpenCore version. Current setup includes a 5700xt and WEG + agdpmod=pikera, SMBIOS iMac 19,1

I believe these will be my steps, please tell me if I have something wrong:

1) Update OpenCore to the latest stable release
2) Change SMBIOS to something else?? If so, do I need to generate a serial number to match?
3) Update Mac OS to Big Sur 11.4
4) bung in the new GPU and boot the whole thing up

I'm sure I've missed something.
No, that should work.
iMac19,1 with pikera
MacPro7,1 with Memory config, -wegoff

No, that should work.
iMac19,1 with pikera
MacPro7,1 with Memory config, -wegoff
I think you can omit step 2. I’m running Big Sur with a RX6800 on iMac19,1 - didn’t change anything from when I was using my RX580 except to add agdpmod=pikera to the boot arguments. As you’re coming from a 5700XT, you already have that.

In that case, pretty sure you just need to update opencore, then update macOS. Then put your new card in and all should be well!
Thank you both! I'm pretty excited for this thing to show up so I can get it in there. Not SUPER pleased about going to Big Sur, but I guess I'll deal ;)

@CaseySJ Reporting on my pb with no video signal during POST. Today I replaced my old monitor with a brand new 43" 4k 144hz monitor, not because my old monitor was giving me some issues with POST but because I wanted to turn it into a digital frame using a raspberry pi. That was a perfect opportunity. I was hoping that I would get a video signal on POST but nothing. First time I switched it on and first boot, I got to see the OC picker but then subsequent restarts, same issue; no video signal until Macos is loaded. I have not tried shutting down and restarting yet (just tried a few restart). But one thing is sure is that now I can not blame the monitor. Something definitely not right with the video card. But /I have exhausted all my options now.I tried CMS enabled/disabled, flashing the Z490 F20, etc. I think the last thing I hav enot tried is CMOs resetting. One question for the community; if I reset the CMOs, then select Load defaults settings, then can I reload the settings I have saved specifically for the hackintosh? I have fine tuned my settings and saved them in a profile. But when I flashed the bios, I could not reload them. They were stored on a usb stick but upon trying to load then got an error msg that the profile had been saved under a different version of the bios. You would have thought that the new bios would have been backward compatible with previous versions but it was not. Hence the question.
One last thing I have not tried yet on the new monitor is to check if there is video signal during POST when using an HDMI cable.

@CaseySJ Reporting on my pb with no video signal during POST. Today I replaced my old monitor with a brand new 43" 4k 144hz monitor, not because my old monitor was giving me some issues with POST but because I wanted to turn it into a digital frame using a raspberry pi. That was a perfect opportunity. I was hoping that I would get a video signal on POST but nothing. First time I switched it on and first boot, I got to see the OC picker but then subsequent restarts, same issue; no video signal until Macos is loaded. I have not tried shutting down and restarting yet (just tried a few restart). But one thing is sure is that now I can not blame the monitor. Something definitely not right with the video card. But /I have exhausted all my options now.I tried CMS enabled/disabled, flashing the Z490 F20, etc. I think the last thing I hav enot tried is CMOs resetting. One question for the community; if I reset the CMOs, then select Load defaults settings, then can I reload the settings I have saved specifically for the hackintosh? I have fine tuned my settings and saved them in a profile. But when I flashed the bios, I could not reload them. They were stored on a usb stick but upon trying to load then got an error msg that the profile had been saved under a different version of the bios. You would have thought that the new bios would have been backward compatible with previous versions but it was not. Hence the question.
One last thing I have not tried yet on the new monitor is to check if there is video signal during POST when using an HDMI cable.
Have you seen the recent activity in our Gigabyte Z390 Designare thread? @Elias64Fr has been working on a modified BIOS that surgically implants Apple’s Thunderbolt-related PEI and DXE drivers into the Gigabyte BIOS. We are seeing some amazing consequences that might (which does not mean “will”) solve a lot of the remaining Thunderbolt problems including the possibility of having active video signal during BIOS and OpenCore Picker. Again, we are not making any guarantees and we don’t want to set unreasonable expectations, but this is absolutely the next logical step to making Hackintosh a better approximation of a real Mac.

If it works on Z390 Designare, we’ll try to bring it to Z490 Vision D.

UPDATE:
  • Looks like this reply of mine is a non sequitur. I saw the phrase "flashing the Z490" and everything else you said just vanished, and I assumed this was a Thunderbolt monitor problem.

Last edited:
Have you seen the recent activity in our Gigabyte Z390 Designare thread? @Elias64Fr has been working on a modified BIOS that surgically implants Apple’s Thunderbolt-related PEI and DXE drivers into the Gigabyte BIOS. We are seeing some amazing consequences that might (which does not mean “will”) solve a lot of the remaining Thunderbolt problems including the possibility of having active video signal during BIOS and OpenCore Picker. Again, we are not making any guarantees and we don’t want to set unreasonable expectations, but this is absolutely the next logical step to making Hackintosh a better approximation of a real Mac.

If it works on Z390 Designare, we’ll try to bring it to Z490 Vision D.
And z390 Aorus Master. :silent:
But, better the way to do it, if it is not too technical.

How do the RX6800 or RX6900 perform on a PCIe 3.0 motherboard, being PCIe 4.0 cards?
Does it make a difference in performance? I have a Z490-A board and seriously thinking of updating my Vega 64.

No real-world differences.
How do the RX6800 or RX6900 perform on a PCIe 3.0 motherboard, being PCIe 4.0 cards?
Does it make a difference in performance? I have a Z490-A board and seriously thinking of updating my Vega 64.

Some questions/suggestions:
  • When did the problem first occur? (Namely, kernel panic with VT-d disabled.)
  • With VT-d disabled, press and release CMD-Vat the OpenCore Picker to enable Verbose Logs. Then boot macOS and capture a photo or video of the kernel panic.
    • It is possible that a third-party kernel extension is causing the problem.

hey, i have the same problem. i have msi rx6800xt gaming trio with lg ultra wide monitor. when boot i get oc picker and i get verbose for a while. then monitor go to no signal until the login screen. i tried everything you mentioned also hdmi. still no difference. i used Radeon vii which doesn't had this problem. also i noticed when update mac os with this gpu no signal until the fully install and boot.

Back