Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

Are the RDNA2 cards able to play the 8K 60fps version of the 3DMark Port Royal Demo using the latest VLC (which supposedly has hardware decoding enabled by default)?

On my Vega 56, I still get a few stutters.

You can find a bunch of different variants of the demo at:

Are the RDNA2 cards able to play the 8K 60fps version of the 3DMark Port Royal Demo using the latest VLC (which supposedly has hardware decoding enabled by default)?

On my Vega 56, I still get a few stutters.

You can find a bunch of different variants of the demo at:
I Download the file and Play it with VLC. VLC Video is frozen... but sound works :lol:
Am I doing something wrong ?

FYI Hackintool ➧ VDA decoder : Fully supported

EDIT
I download the 8K 120fps version ... my bad

EDIT
I download the 4320p60 .... VLC video is still frozen

Here is my Activity Monitor :
capture 2021-05-18 à 16.32.15.png
Seems to me that VLC can't get CPU & GPU to make the job done

Last edited:
Congratulations to everyone on finally having your GPUs working. I’ve been lurking this thread since it’s conception.

Currently operating on a Radeon VII and have been holding off on getting a 6900XT until it was fully supported.

Would anyone advise against doing so?

If I recall correctly, @pastrychef you had a Radeon VII. Do you think it’s a worthwhile upgrade?

Congratulations to everyone on finally having your GPUs working. I’ve been lurking this thread since it’s conception.

Currently operating on a Radeon VII and have been holding off on getting a 6900XT until it was fully supported.

If I recall correctly, @pastrychef you had a Radeon VII. Do you think it’s a worthwhile upgrade?
I also had a Radeon VII and its 100% worth upgrading, I went with the Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT. Now just need to sell this Radeon VII.

Depends on what you want to use it for. If you want to game especially at 1440p or 4K, then Big Navi is a big big upgrade. HUGE. But if you're not going to use it for 3d work, then there's no real point in spending thousands on a 6900XT in this market... keep the price in mind.

I Download the file and Play it with VLC. VLC Video is frozen... but sound works :lol:
Am I doing something wrong ?

FYI Hackintool ➧ VDA decoder : Fully supported

EDIT
I download the 8K 120fps version ... my bad

EDIT
I download the 4320p60 .... VLC video is still frozen

Here is my Activity Monitor :
View attachment 518948
Seems to me that VLC can't get CPU & GPU to make the job done

There's nothing special you need to do. Just open the video with the latest version of VLC.

I'm surprised it doesn't play with your 6800 XT.

On my Vega 56, it plays with a very tiny bit of stutter once in a while.

Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 1.27.06 PM.png

Yes, I had a Radeon VII. I sold it about a month or two ago and intend to put the cash towards an Apple Silicon Mac. As dehjomz stated, it really depends on what you need to do.

Is there any gpu performance increase in .4 RC compared to the betas?

I had 2x Radeon VII and upgraded to a single 6800XT. Depending on what you plan to do, I think it's worth the upgrade. I haven't done much testing as I just got my hackintosh up and running with the 11.4, but GB metal and OpenCL is about twice as fast as Radeon VII. Not sure how much of that score will translate to real life performance, but I feel that this is the biggest generational leap on the AMD side we have seen. Power consumption, speed, and driver stability are all great. If you have the fund, go for it. My sale on Radeon VII funded the purchase of 6800XT and some, but your Radeon VII will probably sell for 2K+ given the current state of mining craze.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 16.24.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 16.24.39 PM.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Back