Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

guys who might face brigthness issue, please check the HDR value of the monitor and if its on and looking dull, turn it off and that's it :)

I believe I have done so on my Z490 Aorus Xtreme i9 11900K setup. After I upgraded the firmware to F20 I enabled Resize Bar in the firmware and it was able to boot into macOS no problem (albeit it is with a GTX 1060 Ti card).
Ah OK, good to know. But seems like if you try it with a supported 6000-series GPU, the GPU doesn't work in macOS. At least that was Pavo's result.

Have you tried adding device-id = 0x73AB to the SSDT?
I have tried that today, unfortunately to no effect.

I also found out that OC's DeviceProperties will only set values when they don't yet exist, which explains why the device-id was not modified when I attempted to patch it via that method. According to the reference manual, one has to add "device-id" to the "Delete" list as well for it to be overridden.
Well, I tried that, but unfortunately the device-id still remains untouched.
I am perfectly capable of injecting arbitrary properties on that GFX0 object, but the device-id resists for some reason.

Most of what we've tried thus far gets me into the OS, but with the device-id untouched.

The only thing that produces a different outcome is the pure SSDT method of spoofing the device-id.
If I use just the SSDT (no FakePCIID or DeviceProperties) and spoof to either 0x73BF or 0x73BF, it appears to boot up normally, until it hits the black screen issue. It also spins down the fans as if it were on the login screen.
This leads me to believe that an update to WhateverGreen may be able to get me past this black screen issue eventually.

Before anybody asks, yes, I am using WEG with agpmod=pikera. I also tested without WEG on MacPro7,1 and both produce the same result, which is why I think this may be something to be fixed in a future WEG update.

For now I'll run without the new GPU until a macOS or OC/WEG update happens, at which point I'll try again.
Alternatively, if anybody has some other things they want me to try, by all means, I'm up to experiment.

I got everything working! Does anyone know if it is possible to grab the 6800 drivers and inject them into older versions of MacOS? I have software that works best on Mojave at the moment.

I have tried that today, unfortunately to no effect.

I also found out that OC's DeviceProperties will only set values when they don't yet exist, which explains why the device-id was not modified when I attempted to patch it via that method. According to the reference manual, one has to add "device-id" to the "Delete" list as well for it to be overridden.
Well, I tried that, but unfortunately the device-id still remains untouched.
I am perfectly capable of injecting arbitrary properties on that GFX0 object, but the device-id resists for some reason.

Most of what we've tried thus far gets me into the OS, but with the device-id untouched.

The only thing that produces a different outcome is the pure SSDT method of spoofing the device-id.
If I use just the SSDT (no FakePCIID or DeviceProperties) and spoof to either 0x73BF or 0x73BF, it appears to boot up normally, until it hits the black screen issue. It also spins down the fans as if it were on the login screen.
This leads me to believe that an update to WhateverGreen may be able to get me past this black screen issue eventually.

Before anybody asks, yes, I am using WEG with agpmod=pikera. I also tested without WEG on MacPro7,1 and both produce the same result, which is why I think this may be something to be fixed in a future WEG update.

For now I'll run without the new GPU until a macOS or OC/WEG update happens, at which point I'll try again.
Alternatively, if anybody has some other things they want me to try, by all means, I'm up to experiment.
csr-active config? Is it at 0000?

Boot intoRecovery/Utilities/terminal/csrutil disable.

If anyone has a NAVI 21 GPU running properly in macOS 11.4 (6800, 6800 XT or 6900 XT) can you please post a screenshot as follows:
  • Run IORegistryExplorer and scroll to the RX 6xxx section. Do not use the search field because it will collapse the full tree.
  • Post a screenshot. I would like to see the first 20-25 lines.

@CaseySJ This is with MacPro7,1 + WEG + agdpmod=pikera

1619361916102.png

@CaseySJ This is with MacPro7,1 + WEG + agdpmod=pikera
Thanks!

Alas, there's no mention of the Controller probably because of the large number of child nodes. Can I ask you to take the screenshot again, but collapse the children of AMDRadeonX6000_AmdAgdcServices and AMDRadeonX6000_AMDNavi21GraphicsAccelerator?

Back