Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

I have a question. My main is windows as I play lots of games. I do have a seprate ssd which I can test for the mac but how should I start doing it ? Windows is already installed on main ssd. is their a way that I can do things without loosing windows and its data and making it a dual boot system.
Yup, dual boot on two SSDs is easy to do.

Follow the Dortania guide for full instructions on installing macOS: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/

As you already have Windows installed and are installing macOS on a second SSD, you can follow the above guide exactly - there's nothing special you need to do. Just be careful when you get into the macOS installer that you format the right SSD! To make things safer, you could even unplug the Windows SSD/NVMe drive before installing macOS, just to be sure you're not wiping the wrong drive. Then plug it back in once macOS is installed.

After following the Install Guide you'll be booting macOS, via the OpenCore bootloader, from a USB stick. After that's done, move on to the Dortania Post Install guide to get everything fully working. One step of that Post Install guide will show you how to copy the OpenCore bootloader and config to your macOS SSD, at which point you won't need the USB to boot any more (though always keep it around as a backup method of booting macOS.)

From that point onwards you will be able to choose to boot either OpenCore (for macOS) or Windows from your BIOS boot picker.

Or, you can choose to boot OpenCore always, and then choose between boot Windows or macOS from the OpenCore picker. However that does mean that, at least by default, OpenCore will change your motherboard name in Windows and you might need to re-activate Windows. Personally I prefer to boot Windows direct from the BIOS boot picker, and only boot macOS from OpenCore.

In no scenario should you lose any Windows data, and in future you'll have an easy dual-boot setup.

Anyone tried it on AMD system ? mine is AMD system :p

Is there an way to disable SAM for macOS (which wont work?) but keep it enabled for Windows?

@oli.mathieu Just like before (meaning with the "old" 5700 XT and 11.2) it's at 6016 x 3384 while looking like 3008 x 1692 @ 60.00Hz on my 4K display. I just discovered that when I zoom in (Accessibility -> Zoom) with Ctrl the mouse cursor turns to the normal size relative to the UI.

Should look like this:
1619200335398.png

But the cursor has the size of the Full HD HiDPI setting:
1619200382298.png

@oli.mathieu Just like before (meaning with the "old" 5700 XT and 11.2) it's at 6016 x 3384 while looking like 3008 x 1692 @ 60.00Hz on my 4K display. I just discovered that when I zoom in (Accessibility -> Zoom) with Ctrl the mouse cursor turns to the normal size relative to the UI.

Should look like this:

But the cursor has the size of the Full HD HiDPI setting:
System Preferences>Accessibility>Display>Cursor

There is an option to change the size there but by default I think it should be at its smallest.... You can make it even bigger though if you wanna go crazy.

So far no luck on my end on 11.4. My 6900XT is not recognized.
I switched off WEG and moved to MacPro7,1 but no dice.
Did you remove any SSDTs for the previous graphics card? Disable IGPU?
Device Properties section?
Is it all vanilla? No prior graphics settings or fixes? NVRam reset.

Did you remove any SSDTs for the previous graphics card? Disable IGPU?
Device Properties section?
Is it all vanilla? No prior graphics settings or fixes? NVRam reset.
Yeah, I'm only running minimal SSDT's, no GPU-related ones.
No Device Properties for that part either and my CPU does not have an iGPU.
NVRAM reset was also done, but unfortunately did not help.
I'll try and experiment some more, maybe I'll happen across something else eventually.

Yeah, I'm only running minimal SSDT's, no GPU-related ones.
No Device Properties for that part either and my CPU does not have an iGPU.
NVRAM reset was also done, but unfortunately did not help.
I'll try and experiment some more, maybe I'll happen across something else eventually.
I see you were running a RX580, have you added boot flag agdpmod=pikera you will need that now I think.

Back