Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

Bad luck you 6700XT guys if it's not supported :( Not mentioned in release notes and I only see Navi21Controller in the info.plist. Maybe that'll come soon.

6700XT is also RDNA2, so it should work. If not i'll just sell my 5700 and 6700 XT then buy 6800XT or even 6900XT

6700XT is Navi22 where 6800, 6800XT and 6900XT are Navi21.

Navi21/22 is just an chip generation id. Like Sky/Coffee/Kaby for Intel
Architecture (instructions set) is the same - AMD RDNA2.
Technically 6700 is a 'die shrink' version of 6800

So 6700 should work out of box (or require a minimal patch such as pci id / device name spoofing)

Navi21/22 is just an chip generation id. Like Sky/Coffee/Kaby for Intel
Architecture (instructions set) is the same - AMD RDNA2.
Technically 6700 is a 'die shrink' version of 6800

So 6700 should work out of box (or require a minimal patch such as pci id / device name spoofing)
Some of what you stated is true, but most important is the power delivery and the settings that the macOS drivers sets, as it has been pointed out, spoofing a 6700 to a 6800 gives instant reboot, most likely because of different power requirements.

Some of what you stated is true, but most important is the power delivery and the settings that the macOS drivers sets, as it has been pointed out, spoofing a 6700 to a 6800 gives instant reboot, most likely because of different power requirements.
If Apple went through the trouble of finalizing drivers for the 'big brother' 6800 and 6900 series, it's very likely that support for the 'little brothers' will also come, possibly in a future beta. Just my speculation.

Awesome news! Sounds like there will be a pro follow up event in June. Or maybe they will just do a silent update to the Mac pro configurations soon?

Could you run a geekbench Metal test?
RX 6800 reference 171,000 GB5, 378,000 GB4 metal compute.
RX 6800 reference 68,500 GB5 Open GL, 227,000 GB4 Open GL.

Metal is basically double the Open Cl scores.

Never doubted Apple one bit :eek::shifty:

To those of you who are apple developers; on average, how long in your experience does it take for Apple to release the public beta [from the release date of the developer beta]?

Never doubted Apple one bit

To those of you who are apple developers; on average, how long in your experience does it take for Apple to release the public beta [from the release date of the developer beta]?
Depends. Sometimes the same day, sometimes a few days afterwards. Sometimes a few weeks, like when Big Sur's first beta originally was released. I would expect the public beta to drop within the next few days or so...

Back