Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

There is no point in it

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 8.01.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 8.01.41 PM.png
    29.6 KB · Views: 513
It does not mount at all. We need to wait for better days (betas).

Over on the Redshift forum they have confirmed M1 support and gone quiet on 6000 support. I am still hopeful though for 11.4.

1. Is there an option to spoof PCI ID and make macOS think i have RX5700 installed instead of 6700XT ?
2. Maybe there're some third-party drivers ? I don't need Metal and do not planning to play games, just need the macOS UI and streaming video will be accelerated (so OpenGL would be enough)
3. Also, as temporary solution (before official drivers will be released) - is there option to disable discrete GPU and force macOS to use Intel® HD Graphics 4600 of my i7 4790k ?
In that case i would need some automatic video input switch - does anyone could suggest such device ? It may be something like the box with 2 inputs and one output which automatically detects which input have signal and proxies it to the output. For my display i would like to use DVI from the MB and DP from RX6700, for TV - HDMI from the both sources. So i would need DP/DVI to DP and HDMI/HDMI to HDMI switches

1. Is there an option to spoof PCI ID and make macOS think i have RX5700 installed instead of 6700XT ?
2. Maybe there're some third-party drivers ? I don't need Metal and do not planning to play games, just need the macOS UI and streaming video will be accelerated (so OpenGL would be enough)
3. Also, as temporary solution (before official drivers will be released) - is there option to disable discrete GPU and force macOS to use Intel® HD Graphics 4600 of my i7 4790k ?
In that case i would need some automatic video input switch - does anyone could suggest such device ? It may be something like the box with 2 inputs and one output which automatically detects which input have signal and proxies it to the output. For my display i would like to use DVI from the MB and DP from RX6700, for TV - HDMI from the both sources. So i would need DP/DVI to DP and HDMI/HDMI to HDMI switches

Not sure on your other questions, but a simple SSDT can be used to disable the slot that the dGPU is in.

Not sure on your other questions, but a simple SSDT can be used to disable the slot that the dGPU is in.
Thanks will look for such solution and will try to find proper HDMI input selector to switch between 6700XT and Intel HD

Hey Guys,

I wonder if it's possible that Apple might announce a AMD 6000 based MPX module for the 2019 Mac Pro at next weeks WWDC ?

The time frame is about right ... when Apple released the Radeon Pro W5700X MPX Module it was around 6 months after AMD released the regular Radeon 5700. From an engineering persecutive it would not take much for them to do this other than getting the drivers working (which is what we are interested in).

I know the 2019 Mac Pro's life is limited now that Apple are switching to their own silicon, but Apple will have to still support the 2019 Mac Pro for at least another 2-3 years minimum and by releasing a AMD 6000 based MPX module it might help to keep a few 'Pro' users happy and on-board.

Food for thought ...

Cheers
Jay

Hey Guys,

I wonder if it's possible that Apple might announce a AMD 6000 based MPX module for the 2019 Mac Pro at next weeks WWDC ?

The time frame is about right ... when Apple released the Radeon Pro W5700X MPX Module it was around 6 months after AMD released the regular Radeon 5700. From an engineering persecutive it would not take much for them to do this other than getting the drivers working (which is what we are interested in).

I know the 2019 Mac Pro's life is limited now that Apple are switching to their own silicon, but Apple will have to still support the 2019 Mac Pro for at least another 2-3 years minimum and by releasing a AMD 6000 based MPX module it might help to keep a few 'Pro' users happy and on-board.

Food for thought ...

Cheers
Jay
Probably more likely they'll just expect users to upgrade to a shiny new Mac Pro with their own silicon tbh.

Had a chat with Apple support about BigNavi support. They couldn’t tell anything:

with available resources we don't have much update on unreleased products and updates.

I am really sorry I don't want to share the wrong information , so without any official updates regarding the new release or changes we unable to share the details on that

Back