Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

What the hell is this?
It's a Chinese-language forum, on which recently appeared pictures of what looks to be a pre-production Radeon Pro 6800XT. Those pictures have now been removed, but it's already been picked up by news outlets; see my post above yours for an English language article explaining what's known about the Radeon Pro 6800XT leak.

But there's nothing there about macOS drivers, at least that I can see (through Google Translate.) I think rchen29 is assuming that a Radeon Pro 6000-series means Apple support, but I don't see the two as being necessarily connected.

I will say though that it's definitely not a bad thing. Just today I read that many AMD 6000-series GPUs don't even fit in the Mac Pro 2019 or most eGPU enclosures. A Radeon Pro card presumably would, and thus could boost availability of Big Navi GPUs in the pro market (at least if they have some availability once launched!), which is extra incentive for Apple to provide drivers.

Also, while a Radeon Pro 6800XT is definitely not the same as an MPX 6800XT, the former does have to happen before the latter can. We have no idea if Apple plans to release more MPX GPUs for the Mac Pro 7,1, but the existence of a Radeon Pro 6800XT might at least make it possible.

Last edited:
Anyone tried the new beta? Don't think it sounds promising from what I read but something might have changed.

Anyone tried the new beta? Don't think it sounds promising from what I read but something might have changed.
Beta 7 has no major reported changes.

Beta 7 has no major reported changes.
Oh cheers mate that is what I read.... I did think it was coming though, I was getting ahead of myself.

Reckon Beta 4 is all or nothing now.

I have a XFX Merc 16 6800 XT and it's working great in BootCamp. Waiting for it to work with Big Sur :(
BootCamp, after EFI and driver installations, works great with a 6800 XT and a Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti at the same time with a Macbook pro 16 (2020). It's a Killer machine to work with Agisoft Metashape for instance. However only in BootCamp...

I have a MSI 6700XT and no luck in beta7. EGPU doesn't detect external screen (just like 11.2.3).
X6000 Driver is loaded but that's all.

I have a MSI 6700XT and no luck in beta7. EGPU doesn't detect external screen (just like 11.2.3).
X6000 Driver is loaded but that's all.
I Might try to see if, even so, it's detected by Agisoft. This app can extract the computing power of the GPU for processing without it connected to an external screen. This is my main aim. However it would be great if Apple support X6000 as the current X5000 support.
Does it appear in the System Profiler?

I Might try to see if, even so, it's detected by Agisoft. This app can extract the computing power of the GPU for processing without it connected to an external screen. This is my main aim. However it would be great if Apple support X6000 as the current X5000 support.
Does it appear in the System Profiler?
It did in earlier betas. We have 6000Framebuffer and HW Kexts partially loading. Audio was also detected.
If you load another card like a RX 460-590 as primary display it still shows the same kexts loading. There is no metal, and only 13mb.

It did in earlier betas. We have 6000Framebuffer and HW Kexts partially loading. Audio was also detected.
If you load another card like a RX 460-590 as primary display it still shows the same kexts loading. There is no metal, and only 13mb.
For now, to my main objective, I only need OpenCL. I might test 11.3 beta 7 tomorrow to see how it goes.

Back